5 Albums that have changed your life.

requiem

I bleed sir, but not killed
Jul 6, 2001
Australia
Here's an opportunity to post 5 albums that have affected your life in one way or another. They don't have to be your favourite albums, but just albums that have shaped you as a person and your musical tastes.

1. Like Gods of the Sun- My Dying Bride (my first really dark, romantic album. All other dark albums led from this one, and it remained the benchmark for many years after).

2. The Shadowthrone- Satyricon (My first fully black metal album. Enough said).

3. Use Your Illusion II- Guns n Roses (Perhaps introduced me to epic music in a way. Tracks like 'Estranged' and 'Locomotive' showed me that songs didn't have to be 4 minutes long and could have atmosphere and incredible lyrics).

4. Puritanical Euphoric Misanthropia- Dimmu Borgir (Literally brought me back to black metal after a long sabbatical. Amazing, I know, but true!)

5. Eternity- Anathema (One of the first atmospheric bands, along with MDB that really showed me that music could take me places I never knew possible).

These basically influenced my musical taste over the years...

Amorphis - Tales from the thousand lakes ( More than just an album to me, it's a piece of majestic art...not only musical influence.. )

Sentenced - north from here ( Somehow led my path to Black Metal... )

H.I.M. - greatest lovesongs vol.666 ( This one directed me to a style that I call one of my faves, now...Goth-Rock and similar stuff.. )

Edge of Sanity - purgatory afterglow ( This album strongly influenced my special liking for Melodic Death Metal... )

And of course much of the old Guns n Roses stuff, especially "Use Your Illusion".. ( No comment.. :) )

Slayer - South of heaven. my first real favourite album.

Katatonia - Dance of december souls. first doom metal i came across..also the first album that actualy made me cry...

Madness - 7 (shut up and listen first :)) made me realize that music doesnt have to be hard to be good, and fun music can also be nice every now and then.

gn´r - use your illusion pt. II. first album i bought on cd.. the same day i got my first cd player (1992 i think it was...)

jesus christ superstar. just made my world turn.. i listened to it constantly for months after first hearing it..it is nothing but overwhelming (how do you spel that??)

Metallica - Black Album (The record which introduced me to Heavy Metal.)

Metallica - Ride the Lighting (It showed me that a band could play really really fast, and slow, and in both cases sound really heavy and really awesome.)

Katatonia - Brave Murder Day (What can I say? Never heard an album with this sad feeling...)

Napalm Death - Harmony Corruption (First Death Metal record I listened to. It took me a long time to appreciate this style, but now I love it.)

Misfits - Famous Monsters (First Punk record I listened to. This showed me that I like punk too!.) :dopey:

Music hasn't changed my life at all. I don't base my life around music, I just enjoy it for what it is- entertainment.

The album that introduced me to heavy metal was Metallica's 'And Justice For All'. Quite a shame I don't enjoy these days.

Have to agree with Dreamlord here, can't base my life on music.

But I'd have to say that the following were damned close:
Queensryche - Operation: Mindcrime
Metallica - Ride The Lightning
W.A.S.P. - s/t
Children Of Bodom - HateBreeder
(not metal, but) Bad Religion - Against The Grain

I recognise this thread from somewhere... :D

The main one is Opeth - Morningrise. It completely changed the way I looked at music. It made me want to write my own music, rather than just form a Metallica tribute band (I was misguided as a youth :D ).

In order...

1) Black Album - Metallica - Introduced me to metal. Got me hooked on music that sounded me agressive.
2) Projector - Dark Tranquillity - Saw this second hand, thought "cool", brought it... this album made me love Metal with growls.
3) Last Fair Deal Gone Down - Katatonia - My music for when depressed, introduced me to doom metal fully.
4) The Gallery - Dark Tranquillity - Blew me away. Turned metal from "I like" to "obsession"
5) Hah, come back to you on that one... Atm, I'd say Damage Done, because its been encouraging me to try vocals, but *shrugs*

Originally posted by requiem
Here's an opportunity to post 5 albums that have affected your life in one way or another. They don't have to be your favourite albums, but just albums that have shaped you as a person and your musical tastes.

1. Like Gods of the Sun- My Dying Bride (my first really dark, romantic album. All other dark albums led from this one, and it remained the benchmark for many years after).

2. The Shadowthrone- Satyricon (My first fully black metal album. Enough said).

3. Use Your Illusion II- Guns n Roses (Perhaps introduced me to epic music in a way. Tracks like 'Estranged' and 'Locomotive' showed me that songs didn't have to be 4 minutes long and could have atmosphere and incredible lyrics).

4. Puritanical Euphoric Misanthropia- Dimmu Borgir (Literally brought me back to black metal after a long sabbatical. Amazing, I know, but true!)

5. Eternity- Anathema (One of the first atmospheric bands, along with MDB that really showed me that music could take me places I never knew possible).

With all respect...
I hate this kind of questions:
1th and last album was PinkFloyd'sWall for me...and maybe Abba'1st of my mom.After this I opened masturbation...

1) Metallica - '... And Justice For All' (this is where everything started for me)
2) Bolt Thrower - 'War Master' (introduced me to death metal and 'brutal' stuff in general)
3) Anathema - 'Alternative 4' (my first real companion for the introspective moments in life)
4) My Dying Bride - 'Turn Loose The Swans' (led me to the realm of dark romanticism and its literature)
5) Ulver - Kveldssanger (kindled my love for folk music and nature)

Guns N' Roses - Appetite for Destruction (got me into metal, etc.)
Faith No More - Angel Dust (made me want to explore different genres of music other than metal and alternative music. This band opened a lot of musical doors for me)
Napalm Death - Scum (my introduction to extreme grindcore, punk, etc.)
Praxis - Transmutation (Mutatis Mutandis) (showed me how focused experimental music should be)
Mr. Bungle - California (convinced me that pop music doesn't have to be 3 minute, verse/chorus crap)

1.W.A.S.P., The Headless Children (my first metal record)
2.Tiamat, Wildhoney (my 1st dive into 'extreme', new worlds)
3.Anathema, Eternity (no need to explain)
4.Opeth, Morningrise (my dearest love, acoustic guitar AND metal distortions together)
5.Ulver, Themes from William Blake's Marriage of Heaven & Hell(who says there are boundaries?)

Plus EVERY In the Woods... album/song/moment, during various times & places

metallica - black album (hello, meet metal. hi metal, you're pretty cool.)

savatage - hall of the mountain king (dont remember where the hell i heard about it, but first non-mainstream type metal record i bought)

life of agony - soul searching sun (damn... this is depressing... i *like* it!)

tiamat - a deeper kind of slumber (actually more the video for cold seed - cool dark stuff, got me interested in weirder stuff)

prince - purple rain (STOP LAUGHING. it's a *damn* good record, and has great great personal significance to me, so fuck off ;P)

that's me :)

Originally posted by ColdDarkNord

With all respect...
I hate this kind of questions:
1th and last album was PinkFloyd'sWall for me...and maybe Abba'1st of my mom.After this I opened masturbation...

Um... thanks for that. You don't have to post in every thread, so if you've got nothing to say then please don't.

Originally posted by Dreamlord
Music hasn't changed my life at all. I don't base my life around music, I just enjoy it for what it is- entertainment.

Oh the denial!!:lol:

If music "hasn't changed" your life at all, then what are you doing here? Of course I don't mean I wander around all day thinking about music 24/7, but I could never say it doesn't affect my life.

It's more than just light entertainment for me, though.

1. Katatonia - For Funerals To Come, I still shiver when I listen to it... my first really heavy album... a few day after I started listening to it the album was playing on the track funeral wedding when my mother came to tell me my grandpa died... I will hold my emotions towards this album for the rest of my life

2. Sentenced - Amok, My first none Metallica and none Megadeth album purchaced... Changed my thinking of music for that time...

3. Amorphis - Elegy, My first out of the heavy metal genre album... it influenced my lyrics writing and my musical taste

4. Edge Of Sanity - Crimson, I will not add because I need not add

5. Diabolical Masquerade - Death's Design, Now this is how you make a blakkmetal album! 10 notches up towards dark enviorment and another 10 notches towards visual music, and another 10 notches up into interesting complexity... and you get my favorite blakkmetal album of all times... thanks Blakkheim!

and by the way... I do live for music... I cannot live without and will not live without it... why should I give up on mankind's one and true great achivement? When I listen to it i'm on a dark voyage every time... why should I not base my life around the music I listen too? music is my life! \m/

music takes a great portion of my life and there isnt a time in the day i dont listen to/think about/make/hum music. and here is my five:

tiamat - wildhoney (first growls)
anathema - alternative 4 (my life has never been the same since that day)
opeth - still life (climax)

these three are enough. the rest of the list will be mainly opeth, so there you go.