Bands or Albums you have never understood!

Kitiini

Jun 11, 2008
Okay so I thought that this would be an interessing topic for a thread.

Basically just share your opinions and thoughts about albums (or Bands) thats considered as good albums, by reviews or by your friends or whatever, but you have never gotten into them eventhough you have tried to listen it.

First of all I have to mention Tonight's Decision. It's probably the most listened katatonia album for me but its just because that I want to get into it but I have never got any huge kicks from it. I dont know what's the deal with that and Im pretty dissapointed that I cant like an album even if I wanted to since I have read so many good comments about it from forums and reviews etcc.

And then theres the band Depeche Mode, can somebody please tell me why the hell this band has sold over 100 million albums?!! I liked Rammsteins cover of Stripped but I dont find any of their albums or songs even near as good as a song should be to satisfy me. Except some pretty good songs like Enjoy The Silence and Halo.

Then theres plenty of other bands like Mastodon that I have never understood despite the many plays I have gave to its records..

Discuss..

Mastodon is understandable. Their newest record is a step in the right direction, but as a whole they don't do much for me either.

For me Isis is a band that I don't get all the hype about. Oh, and Meshuggah is another band that's far too overhyped.

Queens of the Stone Age, Alcest, Amesoeurs, Mastodon, Riverside, most Burzum, Nine Inch Nails, The Mars Volta, David Bowie, Amy Winehouse, Protest the Hero, Nirvana, The Strokes, Swallow the Sun, Jesus & Mary Chain, John Mayer, Sunn o))), Elliott Smith, Janis Joplin, The Doors and a lot more...

Meshuggah, Deathcore in general, Angels & Airwaves, Rammstein and their contemporaries.. and Electrogoth.

Rammstein in particular I find insanely bothersome. Everytime I'm home in norway someone comes up to me and says how great they are, its played on the bus in Bergen and whatnot.. I don't get it. Its technically uninetresting, laden with cliche and stupid rethoric.. I just don't get it.

I never really got Meshuggah either...

I've been trying to get into King Diamond music...but I simply can't stand his awfull awfull vocals...although the music isn't bad.

Meshuggah, Deathcore in general, Angels & Airwaves, Rammstein and their contemporaries.. and Electrogoth.

Rammstein in particular I find insanely bothersome. Everytime I'm home in norway someone comes up to me and says how great they are, its played on the bus in Bergen and whatnot.. I don't get it. Its technically uninetresting, laden with cliche and stupid rethoric.. I just don't get it.

The best thing about Rammstein is that they are big hot men getting around shirtless.

:heh:

Nirvana is my achilles heel. The only interesting thing about Nirvana is Kurt Cobain's death. Even even that is probably overrated. Of course..I have way too many friends that would like to snap my neck for saying this.

Rammstein I can like, because of the pure testosterone feel they can give at times.

Depeche Mode have made way too many good songs for me to dislike them enough. Just like many others like Sting, U2, Bruce Springsteen....they make a lot of shit, but also a lot of good songs.

Mastodon I agree with. The new album is their best so far. Good thing they changed the vocals.

Meshuggah I just hate because all their fans write things like "MESHUGGAAAAAAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" ..oh and the music is just boring (technical well played..but boring)

Amy Winehouse just because she's so annoying to look at, listen to and ..her whole being is something that repulses me. She might be a good musician..but err. I know I don't listen to her face, but still now and then someone manages to actually provoke me too just by being themself. ( I do however also hate myself a bit for being that simple..cause it IS a very simple and stupid thing to do..I should just listen to the god damn music and forget about the person making it..and judge it on that merrit..but no, it's not always that easy)

Other than that, I didn't know about your norwegian roots Lisra..it's good to see more.

i didn't really get meshuggah until there most recent album. i love the shit out of obZen. tracks like Bleed just make you want to destroy an entire race.

hm.. oh I kind of like Nirvana. In Bloom and the dreaded Teen Spirit are pretty nice songs.

Meshuggah..
Sounds.. fast and boring, usually. Riffs made out of like 2 notes played in very ood time signatures.. and when the guitar and drums play in like 7/16 and the drums do a 4/4 over that.. all you hear is the 4/4. Might be fucking difficult to imitate but sounds boring.

The best thing about Rammstein is that they are big hot men getting around shirtless.

Well.. I don't care for that. :D
Some guys give me the gay vibe though, but definetly not Mr. Testosterone. I'm probably too much of a pussy or something.

Rammstein I can like, because of the pure testosterone feel they can give at times.

For some reason I utterly fail to understand whats cool about that. :D

Other than that, I didn't know about your norwegian roots Lisra..it's good to see more.

Them roots are on Vestvågøy somewhere in the Lofoten. Wonderful place. Just for the landscape I'd give up my German passport any day.

Tool (sorry Eve ;))
A Perfect Circle
Bands I 'should' like according to my taste, but it just doesn't click with me though I can hear they're a bunch of highly talented musicians.

Agalloch
Another band I should like according to my taste, I have tried several times, but it does absolutely _nothing_ for me.

When I start posting pictures of men I have been jacking off to as some kind of "trophy" then maybe you can say that. :p

So you feel like telling us about it is much better? ...Ok.

Thanks for sharing the info. Now every time I hear Ramsteein I'll think of you jacking off. Great mental image ...

P.S. I'm just bustin yer balls kid (no pun intended.) Calm down! :heh:

Novembre - the vocals are ruining an otherwise interesting band
Riverside - it's another vocal thingie i guess
Daylight Dies - not really sure why, but the click just isn't there for me, even though it is being recommended to me a lot

I really like Mastodon btw, although I think their latest offering isn't quite up there with their earlier material, unlike most of you seem think