Bands or Albums you have never understood!

Rammstein in particular I find insanely bothersome. Everytime I'm home in norway someone comes up to me and says how great they are, its played on the bus in Bergen and whatnot.. I don't get it. Its technically uninetresting, laden with cliche and stupid rethoric.. I just don't get it.

I didnt like Rammstein at first neither but then I read an review from one guy which I know makes good reviews and he gave 5* to the Mutter album and then I gave that album a more focused listening and man.. I started to like that band, but not that much. After Easter rammstein just clicked and after that I havent been listening to anything else than rammstein its just so fucking good..

Lisra;8230107]hm.. oh I kind of like Nirvana. In Bloom and the dreaded Teen Spirit are pretty nice songs.

I bought Nevermind because of Teen Spirit..the rest of the songs made me see that grunge wasn't for me.

For some reason I utterly fail to understand whats cool about that. :D

Not sure either, must be hormones..heh. "Cool" things tend to get warm very fast. I've never bought a Rammstein album, but I do like it at parties..it's good beer music, just like System Of A Down.

Them roots are on Vestvågøy somewhere in the Lofoten. Wonderful place. Just for the landscape I'd give up my German passport any day.

http://kondis.oslonett.no/bilder/sykkel/2008/Insomnia/Lofoten_Insomnia_Race_full.jpg

http://pub.tv2.no/multimedia/na/archive/00305/lofoten__reine__mos_305987g.jpg

Yup, that IS very nice! But it looks like the typical place that I would like to be on a vacation, but not live...before I'm older that is.

Yup, that IS very nice! But it looks like the typical place that I would like to be on a vacation, but not live...before I'm older that is.

yeah. its a wonderful place to live for a few weeks but more than that.. not while I'm under 50.

Opeth.. seems to be a hate or love thing. I love them and they were the band that amde me accept guttural vocals.

I could never get into Metallica. I don't get all the hype that new Colors album got either.

+1 (forgot that one) (I do wish them all the best, they deserve a lot of recognition, but simply get bored VERY easily by them now)

Yeah thats one of the reasons for me saying them. Also really in very few of their songs do I detect any emotion what so ever, just sounds bland. I have tried to see and feel what it is people love about them and simply cannot. :erk:

Not bad on occasion..
Some stuff is great... a few weeks in a year.

Yes, Tool as well. I got into them heavily for a few months several years ago, then I discovered Opeth. I get Tool, but again, as with Meshuggah, I cannot understand peoples absolute hard on over them. Maybe it is just because Maynard is a character.

Nirvana is a band that I do not get at all, so I cannot understand other peoples response to them.

Agalloch has some great music, but they are also a band that a ton of people are in love with. I am fine with them though and I can really get into some of their stuff. I am really into their EP from last year, The White.

Ayreon.
Some musical stuff is.. well, nice. Especially with jonas in it. :D But I've seen musicals with better lyrics (which were not always stolen from T.S Elliott). He can't write a decent drumbeat to save his life.

I get Tool, but again, as with Meshuggah, I cannot understand peoples absolute hard on over them. Maybe it is just because Maynard is a character.

Nonono!
What makes me go insane over them is the sheer perfection of a lot of their compositions! A good example is the song Lateralus, where they really pull off a masterpiece composition-wise. I love how they can take themes (rhythmic and/or melodic) and evolve around it, showing it from new perspectives throughout the song.

About Rammstein: I guess it's important not too take them too seriously (in general, some songs should be taken very seriously) and just enjoy the simplicity and "in-your-face'ness" of a lot of it.
Something typical about them is obscene lyrics. I grew to love the roles the singer puts himself in. For example... who doesn't love a song where the singer puts himself in the shoes of a hermaphrodite who's in love with him/herself (including all obscenities that go along with that)... check it:
Well, who doesn't like that should either give them more time, look at the singer like who he is (like in interviews) or they're just not for you.
Another side of them is the melancholic one:

About Meshuggah: There's not much nót to get if you ask me. You get what you see/hear. I respect them a lot and I think they're one of the few bands that influence(d) new music and who actually did something that was VERY inventive and original. Besides that you will not find me listening to an album of them in its entirety (besides "I" maybe), because you get the whole point after a song or two and after a few songs I get a bit bored. But if anyone can find me a song that makes you want to move more than this one... Let me know. (rhetorical...)

Bare with me on the intro talk blabla. However, it is so worth it

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, Tool as well. I got into them heavily for a few months several years ago, then I discovered Opeth. I get Tool, but again, as with Meshuggah, I cannot understand peoples absolute hard on over them. Maybe it is just because Maynard is a character.

Maybe it's because they're insane, and there's no one like them. Or because lyrically there's a ton of depth. Or because Maynard has one hell of a voice. Or because they know how to groove with the best of em. Or how about their visuals, and videos that always have accompanying their music takes extreme vision. Or could it be the complex rhythms Danny Carey lays down. Or how they're able to break through to the mainstream with such unconventional styles, and that they never compromise. Or a million other things. See I understand that they're not for everyone, but give props where props are due. For god sakes man.

For example i'm not the biggest Zeppelin or Beatles fan, but I can appreciate what they did for their time.

SunnO))) Yeah I don't get these guys. As far as I'm concerned, boring as hell.

And I just plain don't like Mastodon because of the drumming.

Maybe it's because they're insane, and there's no one like them. Or because lyrically there's a ton of depth. Or because Maynard has one hell of a voice. Or because they know how to groove with the best of em. Or how about their visuals, and videos that always have accompanying their music takes extreme vision. Or could it be the complex rhythms Danny Carey lays down. Or how they're able to break through to the mainstream with such unconventional styles, and that they never compromise. Or a million other things. See I understand that they're not for everyone, but give props where props are due. For god sakes man.

For example i'm not the biggest Zeppelin or Beatles fan, but I can appreciate what they did for their time.

I appreciate Tool, but I think they're a bit overrated. But that's just because I know some huge fanboys which are just a bore to listen to talking about Tool, TOOL and tooL. Their last album is their weakest probably ever. It's not a bad album though..just not something I listen to much. I'm hoping for them to return some day. Maynard is a good vocalist, but it's not VERY distinct. The best thing I feel with Tool is their groove. They have got a lot of praise, and deserve a lot of it. But like Opeth, the praise can run a bit overboard.