Five albums that changed your life

Fear Factory - Obsolete
Amorphis - Black Winter Day
Emperor - Anthems to the Welkin at Dusk
Metallica - Ride the Lightning
Reverend Bizarre - In the Rectory of the Bizarre Reverend

Someone compile a list of the albums most mentioned in this thread. Looks like First Utterance and Ride the Lightning are winning thus far...

Which is pretty hilarious based on the irony of much of your previous posts on the genre. With that said...bout fucking time. ;)

i will fully admit to looking at some of my old posts and cringing. after my mom died i decided to quit being so cynical and be more open minded. life's too short.

so i apologize and take back everything ever said about music genres as a whole. that being said, mastodon still blows :loco:

Madonna: Like A Virgin
I was 4 yrs old and my favorite TV show was Different Strokes

Green Day: Dookie
This album becomes unlistenable upon first pube. But for a wet behind the ears 13 yr old it's the greatest thing next to AquaNet.

Metallica - S/T
Meandering through the halls of high school became less of a chore with this mainstream classic.

Agalloch - The Mantle
This album got me through a rough patch in the early part of this decade.

Nevermore - Politics of Ecstasy/In Memory EP/Dreaming Neon Black and Hypocrisy - Abducted
The gateway to my listening habits today.

[/ghey but not lying]

Metallica - S/T
Meandering through the halls of high school became less of a chore with this mainstream classic.

i think around the same time period, marketing to the American male went from:

steve-mcqueen-barracuta-jacket.jpg

to this:

thin-skinny-male-models-2808-2.jpg

I tried to fit White Zombie La Sexorcisto in there somewhere but we can only have five so whatever

yeah, notable mentions are Nevermore - Dreaming Neon Black, Reverend Bizarre - In the Rectory, and about a dozen others. 5 is too few.

Bloodhound Gang - One Fierce Beer Coaster. First album I heard that I considered worthy of being a favourite. About 60% of the vocals are rap but it also cemented my newly-developing appreciation of alternative rock.

Big Blue Blanket - Everytime You Smile. First album I started to enjoy despite not being able to understand half the words. The vocals aren't harsh, it's punk with some cryptic pronunciation.

Metallica - ...And Justice for All. Not the only Metallica album that changed my life, but the 2nd I heard after Reload and a true gateway to appreciating downbeat and heavy music with a profound/bleak atmosphere etc.

SPK - Leichenschrei. Awesome album of early industrial/noise. The track The Agony of the Plasma which uses screams and breaking glass as instruments was a total headfuck at first and now I enjoy that like any other music.

Junior Wells' Chicago Blues Band - Hoodoo Man Blues. While this isn't a lone standout as such, it marked the start of my quest to not have my taste in albums begin with mid-60s rock (aside from a couple of randoms). So essentially the beginning of me finding a handful of old blues albums I liked, and then likewise with some vocal jazz and early pop.

Junior Wells' Chicago Blues Band - Hoodoo Man Blues. While this isn't a lone standout as such, it marked the start of my quest to not have my taste in albums begin with mid-60s rock (aside from a couple of randoms). So essentially the beginning of me finding a handful of old blues albums I liked, and then likewise with some vocal jazz and early pop.

That Junior Wells album rules. That was one of the first Blues albums I got into along with Son House - The Original Delta Blues.

Big legged woman, come and hold my hand