Albums with good Bass Sound

Heir Apparent

Feb 19, 2008
I've been on a bass guitar binge recently. I was wondering if anyone could recommend some albums with good bass sound. I'm open to any genres, I like stuff that is varied and has lots of fills.

Some bassists that I think are great:

Justin Chancellor (Tool)
Johan DeFarfalla (ex-Opeth)
Geddy Lee (Rush)
Chris Squire (Yes)
Geezer Butler (Black Sabbath)
Ryan Martinie (Mudvayne)
Sean Malone (Cynic)
Martin Mendez (Opeth)
Steve Harris (Iron Maiden)
Sam McCall (Brutal Juice)

Porcupine Tree - In Absentia, Deadwing, Fear of a Blank Planet

Referring mostly to the DVD-A mixes here, but I'm sure the standard CD mix's have fantastic bass as well, just haven't heard them in ages. :loco:

Death, testament, dark hall, weather report, charles mingus, blotted science, king crimson, rush, led zeppelin, black sabbath, cream, BBM... that should do for now

Oh, also.. Blood Red Throne's bassist fucking kicks ass. He has a really cool playing style, and he is easily heard. 'specially on their last album, "Come Death".

The Burst album, The Lazarus Bird. The rhythm section is about as good as it gets showing restraint, improvisation, innovation, and power when needed. And the production really lets the bass shine. Great, great album and in my top 3 for 2008.

For Classic Rock;
Neil Murray played some killer tasty bass on the early vers of Fool for your lovin by Whitesnake off of Ready and Willing
Bruce Dunaway on Alice Coopers Billion Dollar Babies has some great stuff too.
Early Yes - Fragile, Close to the Edge
Almost anything with Bob Daisley and Robert 'kool' Bell

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I just listened to Indukti and it completely blew my face off. Burst sounds pretty sick as well.