Albums with good Bass Sound

People keep listing albums with good bass PLAYING, but horrible bass SOUND. Ex, Gordian Knot - that album sounds like it's being played through speakers made out of styrofoam. Or Cynic - Focus, once again great playing, but the bass is muddy at best.

The best bass tones I can think of offhand:

Michael Manring - Thonk
Mudvayne - LD 50 (Yes, really)
Victor Wooten - A Show of Hands

I definitely think Steve DiGrigorio's sound on Death's Symbolic was something else for sure. the metal scene definitely needs more fretless like on Symbolic.

I've been on a bass guitar binge recently. I was wondering if anyone could recommend some albums with good bass sound. I'm open to any genres, I like stuff that is varied and has lots of fills.

Some bassists that I think are great:

Justin Chancellor (Tool)
Johan DeFarfalla (ex-Opeth)
Geddy Lee (Rush)
Chris Squire (Yes)
Geezer Butler (Black Sabbath)
Ryan Martinie (Mudvayne)
Sean Malone (Cynic)
Martin Mendez (Opeth)
Steve Harris (Iron Maiden)
Sam McCall (Brutal Juice)

no jack bruce? paul mccartney?john paul jones?
the bass intro to dazed and confused is sooooooo great and HEAVY
just my opinion though.
i'd throw in cliff burton, dave ellefson and paolo from sepultura too.

I definitely think Steve DiGrigorio's sound on Death's Symbolic was something else for sure. the metal scene definitely needs more fretless like on Symbolic.

digiorgio didn't play on symbolic. and the bassist who did didn't use a fretless.

neuroticandroid said:
no jack bruce? paul mccartney?john paul jones?
the bass intro to dazed and confused is sooooooo great and HEAVY
just my opinion though.
i'd throw in cliff burton, dave ellefson and paolo from sepultura too.

this thread is about good bass sounds you dolt.

this thread is about good bass sounds you dolt.

This is why I haven't bothered with this thread as it has inevidently turned into who can wank on their bass most. Good bass sounds has little to do with what is being played (or who the player is for that matter) on it and really has far more to do with production and who mixed the album.

This is why I haven't bothered with this thread as it has inevidently turned into who can wank on their bass most. Good bass sounds has little to do with what is being played (or who the player is for that matter) on it and really has far more to do with production and who mixed the album.

chancellor usually always gets a good bass sound, as does eddie jackson from queensryche (I'm really liking the sound on empire and promised land atm.) alex webster got a good tone on evisceration plague, even with rutan at the helm. that svt4-pro cuts through the mix ridiculously well.