Alesis D4 vs. Alesis DM PRO

Sly

Feb 8, 2006
Grenoble, FRANCE
www.myspace.com
I play a lots of concerts those days and want now to trigger my bass drum to mix with the mic (Beta91 or Beta52, D112...).
I play agressive metalcore stuff and want something good enough of course.

I heard that the D4 is greater than the DM5 because of the rawness of it samples.

I searched a little and saw everywhere that the DM PRO is just an hundred euros more than the D4.

The DM PRO offers the possiblity to use your own samples, isn't it ? It's REALLY interesting for me because I work in a studio and can get great samples from sessions.

Do you think the DM PRO would be greater for me ? Is that "add your sample" function useful ?

im was trying to find some info on this as well, from my understanding the dm pro uses some dated technology to import your own samples dont know for sure though

Sly said:
I play a lots of concerts those days and want now to trigger my bass drum to mix with the mic (Beta91 or Beta52, D112...).
I play agressive metalcore stuff and want something good enough of course.QUOTE]

You will run into problems mixing a triggered kick with the natural kick live. There will be a latency issue, especially noticable if you like the kick pretty clicky.

Mikey Bolton said:
Sly said:
I play agressive metalcore stuff and want something good enough of course.QUOTE]

You will run into problems mixing a triggered kick with the natural kick live. There will be a latency issue, especially noticable if you like the kick pretty clicky.

Don't many bands trigger their kicks live? Or do they not have problems because they are completely triggering it?

Yeah, cos I was thinking like I know for sure Nick Barker used to trigger his kit while in Dimmu. But yeah, thinking about it, it would have been completely triggered.

To trigger + to mic the bass drum simultaneously is not a problem, i've seen that many times (Black Dahlia Murder...).
The question is to have a good module with fast response, inaudible latency.

So, anyone can answer about the differences between DM PRO and D4 ?
I really don't know what to buy.

Sly said:
So, anyone can answer about the differences between DM PRO and D4 ?
I really don't know what to buy.

I think two of he major differences are that the DM PRO has some built-in effects, plus that you can load your own samples in it. I also think it's supposed to have more editing capabilities for the sounds, but I've never used it or checked the manual (you can find the manual on the Alesis homepage btw), I only remember reading the product sheet when the unit came out on the market.

My suggestion would be to get a D4. For that price, it's really the best you can get and I doubt that the DM Pro is much better. The sounds on the D4 are very good, I use it myself when I play live, for kick and snare. I also have a DDRUM4, but I wouldn't want to drag that one around so it stays in the studio.

BTW, make sure to get good trigger mics if you don't already have it. I've tried several different ones during the years and I STRONGLY recommend ddrum mics, the expensive kind. I'd never use anything else.

Thank you tgs

I have a ddrum pro trigger for the bass drum.
I think I'll go for a D4 if I find one used and cheap, but I have an opportunity to get a DM PRO for 250 euros. The fact It would allow me to upload my own samples is great, I wanna try that.
I know I have to get a PCMCIA card to upload the sounds from my DAW to the DM PRO, but I also know that not every PCMCIA card work.
If someone has an idea of which card to buy, let it know here :)

Sly said:
To trigger + to mic the bass drum simultaneously is not a problem, i've seen that many times (Black Dahlia Murder...).
The question is to have a good module with fast response, inaudible latency.

The Mic in the kik will be for backup incase of drum module failure, or in some cases(ala Barker when I did monitors for Cradle) Some members wanted real kik and some triggered, never the two together. There will always be a slight latency issue live, you will have to trust me on this one!!