Alesis M1 active MkII

Masticore

Jan 4, 2010
Georgia, USA
Im looking for new monitors. Im not wealthy, or have mom and pops money so I need something that has the best bang for the buck. Been eyeballing these as they are $299, and you get a pair as opposed to one. This is about my price range I can afford. Anyone have something they can recommend in this price range?

They sugar coat everything and the bass is badly defined. Great for casual listening but worlds away from a truly revealing set of studio monitors. I used to use them, but my eyes have been opened.

Tannoy Reveal 5a

very nice detailed sounding monitors, awesome transients and midrange detail, all for a great price. they've been replaced with the 501a which I would recommend because of the front facing port.

i have bad experiences with alesis mkII's

i sold them, now i have JBL's LSR432

i could never get the reverbs right with the alesis...and i was always hearing less bass, so i ended up mudding the heck out of my mixes.

i have got really decent mixes with M-Audio's BX-5
they are tiny, but they sound decent for mixing. and for 300 dollars are a good deal

the tannoy range are greta value too! even though they are outta your price range, the tannoy Precision 8G i think they are, are my fav active monitor!

I think you mean 8D :)

considering that i've got the smallest and cheapest studio monitors they make and i have no urge to upgrade whatsoever (except to get a sub), i can't imagine how great the top of the range models are

Ive got a set of the Alesis M1MkII actives...And I usually end up mixing on a set of passive Behringer 1030's with a sub. The Behri's are MUCH more pleasing to the ear, but the mids are a bit relaxed. I found the mids on the Alesis to be kinda irritating. Since both my sets are low end, I usually just reference back and forth regularly until I get a good mix on both. As much as I don't really like KRK's, I'd probably look for a used set of RP6 G2's or something before recommending the Alesis. But, YMMV. Monitors are so subjective IMHO.

They sugar coat everything and the bass is badly defined. Great for casual listening but worlds away from a truly revealing set of studio monitors. I used to use them, but my eyes have been opened.

+1. I use Yamaha HS80M's now, though have kept the Alesis for a future theater/ entertainment room haha.
The Alesis have pretty bad depth and transient response too.

For anyone who does use the Alesis m1 active mkIIs, block the ports (socks work ok) and you'll get a much better defined (if a little quieter) low end. Still badly defined, just not horrifically so

I wouldn't reccommend anyone get those monitors unless you REALLY have the acoustics sorted out in your room. They can pump out a hell of alot of bass even with the ports plugged.

Moved onto HS50's and I'm way happier.

These are the only monitors I've ever owned and while they are better than working on computer or stereo speakers, they are still not that great. I've yet to try the socks -- will do tonight!

go for it. The idea of unplugging them again for anything other than high volume electronic/dance music makes me shiver. My 12 year old brother has been using them for almost a year now and even he has them plugged and he's a complete bass-head!