alexi..interview..power metal...

I remember an interview with Alexi, after Hatebreeder was released. He was asked, weather he is influenced by Stratovarius, because of the guitar-keyboard "battles". He said, that he do not listen to them (have never listen...?).
I think after everybody said to him: "Are you influenced from Strato.....?", he listen to them the first time, and now its one of his favourite bands!
Otherwise.... COB and Strato are Neighbours, why he never heard of them...? Somebody of the CoB-Biography-experts could help....?

Originally posted by cyberfella
Why do CoB have to be in a genre that already exists, maybe they have tapped into a new style/genre that hasn't been "labled" yet?...........Just a thought :)

Of course. If somebody ask me "what style cob plays?" i said "their own stlyle. bodom style" :rolleyes:

Well Ill say this. I think when Crims reviewd YBOD for our site he called Bodom "Extreme Power Metal" and I agree. I have nothing wrong with calling a bad ass melodic band Power Metal to me it is a compliment. Power Metal is godly. I alwyas thought that Bodom to me sounds like Sonata Arctica with about oh 50 times the speed and aggression. Yes I know Bodom was around before Sonata its just I heard Sonata first. Anyways about labelling bands in general... I think its gotten completely out of hand, esp in magazines. I was looking at a comp cd from BWBK and god it was so fucking lame. "Stoner, Death, Aggro Metal laced with groovy thrash licks with a Southern Rock element thrown in" WHAT THE FUCK WAS THAT??? You know what my band is here, watch "Melodic Heavy Metal" WOW HOLY SHIT!!! I summed up my band in three words!!! Something must be wrong with me!!

Ben

it's ridiculous when they get to that point, yeah, but what's wrong with having some system to identify how a band sounds... and it doesn't have to be a burochratic pile of shit like some of you describe magazines... both extremes are bad! Sonata Arctica is not the same kind of metal as CoB and there has to be specific words to differentiate them...

CoB were mostly death metal at first, you can easily see that in SW... maybe further along the road they gained some power metal influences (in everything except the vocals), but even then i wouldn't compare them to Sonata Arctica... the only thing they have in common is that both bands have speedy songs and organ, but they don't use the organ in the same way either

Sonata Arctica is power metal, CoB is still mostly death metal but with power metal influences, that's a long way off...

Originally posted by Tut Ankh Amon
ok
think:
COB without keyboards & guitar solos would be mainly death metal, because of the vocals.
With the melodies given by the keys & solos... you have...
MELODIC DEATH METAL! Hoorray! :p

Yea, I agree with you. :) That's my favourite genre!!

I find myself clarifying this every week or two... sigh...

CoB, yes was originally under the stupid label "death metal"... but even in their first cd they had a healthy dose of power metal (DUH all the Malmsteen influences)... and they proceeded to increase the power metal component throughout their albums (the high pitched "yeah"s and screams, even tho growled are almost PURE power metal goodness). Also, the soloing, espeically on FtR is VERY power metal influenced. Like every single guitarist Alexi really liked back then was a power metal guitarist or prog metal.

Now they have entered the world of thrash mostly, and cut off the melodies quite drastically after FtR... but I have a feeling they will be back for more emlodies next cd, but keep the new thrash presence strong. That would kick ass!

EDIT: Calling CoB's new cd Melodic Death would be like calling In Flames's new cd Melodic Death... which neither are even close to anymore.

>even in their first cd they had a healthy dose of power metal (DUH all the Malmsteen influences)

i don't listen to Malsmteen or his band but does he do power metal or heavy metal with classic soloing and stuff like that?
i never heard that Malmsteen was power before...

and yeah i sure miss all the melodies too...

Maybe, as most of artist, they dont want to be known as a group that has taken all of their music influences from someone. They just want to be known as a team that creates an unique music.

And i think that bodoms really are like that :D

They are unique :headbang:

Stun,
First off HCD is still quite melodic.. much more so than any other death metal and enough to be called melodic death metal.
You're obviously not paying attention when listening to it
Secondly, Reroute to Remain is different but it kicks ass!
and let me just get a fuck you to whoever thinks about posting a shitload in direct disagreement..

I think there is no such thing as melodic death metal.......
coa death metal is death metal...

if you call children of bodon of inflames or dark tranquility death metal for the vocal style.......to me that vocal style is more black metal then death metal.....so
their create their own style dont know what to call but is not melodico death metal........

and these bands had MUCH MORE thrash metal influencies then death metal infulencies.........

more of an melodico Trhash/death
ahuahuahuhuhuauh

but i nthe same hand i agree that is all METAL just metal.....

I agree that CoB got a lot of power metal inlfuencies.....thats what make me like more their 2 first albuns.......after that.....its TO power metal for me .....as I hate power metal.......

and just one more thing...I have seen some pics of impaled nazarene ( dont recall who ) but with some member with a stratovarius shirt....so is impossible that alexi never heard then before.........

IMO CoB doesn't fit with any styles.. just the finnish type of metal.. Bodometal is a good term..

imo CoB has never been deathmetal. The first inearthed recording you could considering deathmetal, but CoB not. listen to Dying Fetus of Cannibal Corpse.. THAT's deathmetal.. CoB is just.. awesome.. :lol:

ok ok i can confirm the truth of what was said by alexi in the magazine "metallian".
basically he says hes fed up of power metal that does the same shit, dragons and chevaliers etc.
He also says that the death metal scene is too much repetetive and black has gone the same way. he says too many bands are wasting their time trying to be like others.

so the name stratovarious was NOT mentioned! well my girlfriend told me the name was. WAIT TIL I GET MY HANDS ON HER!
only joking :) im one of the good guys.
sorry for this whole wasted time about stratovarious :lol: