Alexi passed away

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can’t believe this. RIP Alexi. You are the reason I started playing guitar, the reason I began listening to metal, and my biggest inspiration the last 17 years when I discovered your music.

I’ll never forget hearing Hate Crew Deathroll for the first time, it opened me up to a whole new world and your music has brought me more happiness than you could ever imagine.

You seemed like a great person outside of music, and were always someone I looked up to. You will be greatly missed!

Reactions: Sany and COB-666
Devastating. Laiho wasn't the reason why I started playing guitar, but I heard Children of Bodom for the first time directly thereafter and was obsessed with them for years. They were my introduction to extreme metal. My first concert was Unholy Alliance in 2006, and CoB were my favorite band on the ticket at the time. While Laiho never came to be an actual influence on my guitar playing, he directed my early interest in gear and the preferences I picked out then are still reflected in my setup. CoBOT is also one of the reasons I posted on UM for so long. I'll have to revisit my old favorite CoB albums today.

RIP Alexi Laiho

Reactions: COB-666
Well, the Korpiklaani was the first metal band, which I loved, but the CoB was the second. My classmate showed them in high school. I didn't like CoB at first, I listened to only Kopriklaani's songs. The first song, that I liked is cover of "Antisocial". Sometime after the "Antisocial" I fell in loved the band, Alexi and his style. It was about 2010. I would also like to learn Finnish and go to Lake Bodom, because of he, because of CoB.

Well, maybe I could write more, but... I should learn English better first time ( :) ).

Anyway.... it's so, so sad day. It came so suddenly.

Im0DYlt.jpg

You know, I always feared Roope would be the first to go. But Alexi wasn't the type of guy to give up the first place to anyone
oH6AD1O.jpg

Reactions: happilemon
6oTfnGt.jpg

134964781_10159145908768699_7132552840035027089_n.jpg

TJIljeF.jpg

Google translate:
" Thank you for your music, for the fun and for the many unforgettable moments we experienced both in the studio and on the road. It was a great honor to get to know you and be part of Children Of Bodom’s journey.
Strong strength for family and loved ones. Rest in peace Alppu. ❤️ "

oX6TlsG.jpg

kYkdjGk.jpg

Last edited:
Well, I really didn't see that coming especially with the recent plans and interviews for the next year at hand... When I first saw the link sent to me by a friend thought it's just a promotional catch interview for BAM's first release. So unreal, so sudden...still hard to believe it.

I would say I started play the guitar because of him, but tbh I picked up the instrument because of COB (the polyphonic intro of CoD's solo), still Alexi's unique play style inspired me the most through the years.

Rest in peace :cry:

When CoB disbanded in the late 2019 part of me already "died". It hit me hard to see my teenage idol band disband, in a way it was a harsh reminder that yeah I'm getting old - my beloved bands are disbanding.... But the death of it's member, and at that the head of the band, really feels devastating. I have felt the pain of losing beloved artist before, but not on the level of this. As with many of you CoB is more than a just metal band. I have liked the band so much that I have listened to it during my happiest and toughest periods of my life and resonated with me. You can laugh about the lyrics, but actually I have always appreciated them. Those "i don't give a fuck" lyrics really pushed me hard sometimes. You see, CoB is part of those "good time" memories when we were young, naive, didn't give a f***. Every party we blasted CoB, watched DVD's of them having fun and did the same. Now I look at those times with such a fondness of better times. I can easily say Alexi made my life sufferable.
Indeed this feels like losing someone close to me. Actually I was really looking forward to see what would Alexi do with Bodom After Midnight, Alexi unleashed so to speak. I'm left to wonder what could have been.
Also I'm beyond sad that I saw CoB live only once in 2013. But I had the privilege to meet and greet with the man. I will cherish this memory even though I was just some random fan.
On a musical side of things I can easily say Alexi wrote, in my opinion, wrote two albums which I can easily, every given day rate as 10 out of 10 rating, "Hatebreeder" and "Follow the Reaper". Great achievement in music which transcends the genre.

You were like a brother to me, goodbye.

CoB is part of those "good time" memories when we were young, naive, didn't give a f***. Every party we blasted CoB, watched DVD's of them having fun and did the same. Now I look at those times with such a fondness
exactly mate, well said

THE NEW ALBUM OPENS WITH A SONG TITLED "NOT MY FUNERAL." WHAT'S THE STORY BEHIND IT?
It sounds pretty dark but someone who used to be pretty close to me told me, "Dude, you're going to die," that they had got a professional opinion and it was that I was going to die in the next 10 years, and that got me so fucking pissed off. I don't need someone who's never met me saying that.

Uffff.....

https://www.revolvermag.com/music/children-bodom-born-be-wild

This hit me pretty hard, although not one of my first influences, I started liking COB around 2016 when I was 17 or 18 (I knew of them before, but didn't like them much). The more I dived into their discography, the more I liked it. I also play the guitar, and when learning COB songs, while difficult, I never had the thought of "why the fuck is he doing this? Is this the kind of virtuoso that tries ultra-reversed things so nobody else can play them?" Everything felt so natural and I knew that was the guitar style I wanted to learn. Very big loss. I was lucky enough to see them at Leyendas del Rock Festival 2018 (the show where the live version of Morrigan from the hexed album was recorded) and getting a 2nd row spot. More lucky because I almost didn't made it due to my friends wanting to go to a electronic and dance shit festival that was on the same dates. Always will have the little thorn of not watching them on a solo COB show (I have a terrible fear of flying, if not I surely would have made it to the last COB show) or a BAM show. I was curious about the new BAM stuff and an European tour. Very sad day

I don't think that's what Ola was trying to get with his new video, but his newest video has more Alexi condolences than comments about his video itself.

That being said, I actually thought I was over the initial shock, but it hit me harder than I thought.
I would never have thought that the death of a person I never met in personal would drag me down so much.

But after more than 20 years of listening to Bodom I'm sitting here with tears in my eyes, listening to Follow The Reaper, reading all the concolences of famous musicians on instagram.

THE NEW ALBUM OPENS WITH A SONG TITLED "NOT MY FUNERAL." WHAT'S THE STORY BEHIND IT?
It sounds pretty dark but someone who used to be pretty close to me told me, "Dude, you're going to die," that they had got a professional opinion and it was that I was going to die in the next 10 years, and that got me so fucking pissed off. I don't need someone who's never met me saying that.

Uffff.....

https://www.revolvermag.com/music/children-bodom-born-be-wild
This is really wow...
In my head just last week started the Refrain" Is this my fate, was that my life? I just saw a flash before my eyes" from All Twisted.
Good lord, what a miracle.

@Arcane
I feel with you, tears are hard to cover...It seems all so unreal...
Even so many German News are writing on Alexis Death...Never thought that he was that much famous.

@COB-666
What Video?

Last edited:
Reactions: COB-666
i subscribed to this forum in 2009, and i dont come here for years already, but after knowing this i had to come and say something. COB and alexi have been my main music reference since ever and the reason i started playing guitar, i do own him a lot and i will be forever thankful to him. Its really sad to know this for me, and couldnt imagine 2020 had this yet to end. god bless you wherever you are. RIP legend.

This is really wow...
In my head just last week started the Refrain" Is this my fate, was that my life? I just saw a flash before my eyes" from All Twisted.
Good lord, what a miracle.

If that person really had a professional opinion about Alexis health 10 years ago and saw him dying in the near future, his disease must have been visible somehow back then already.

Status
Not open for further replies.