Alice in Chains--Dirt

BloodSword

Jan 30, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
real bored today , so started digging around my older cd's. pulled up "Dirt." A really excellent album. Jerry Cantrell's guitar playing, I always felt was very good, reminds me for some reason of Jimmy Page. Layne Staley's vocals also made this band exceptional, very passionate and emotive. IMO, the best band to come out of the Seattle "grunge." Anyone else dig this band? I'm sorry if this was posted in a wrong place! I don't know. Just trying to stimulate some conversation until "Novella Reservoir" is released.:)

One of the great things about music among many, is to go back and listen to music that you considered "masterful." And to hear how well that music has held up over time. For me, that is a description of a masterpiece, that it still sounds great or better. I don't pay attention to the so-called music "critics." If I like something, I will make that determination. If music speaks to me in a connected "emotional" sense, I appreciate it all the more. The melodies and lyrics are a document created by the artist. To achieve an audience to love that "document" seems to me, is part of what the artist is trying to accomplish, and in doing so never to compromise their art, just to appease a record label. This is what I see, feel,and want to share and if you don't get "it" tough shit. In thinking about this for the last couple of days, this is what I think AIC were about. And Novembers Doom is now. Speaking of connecting emotionally with a song, when I first heard "Dark World Burden" I was floored. It was as if the song was about me. True art with no fuckin' compromise, AIC was like that for me.

AIC are a band who I always felt got the shit end of the stick from alot of the metal crowd, due to their (unfair) association with the MTV-"Grunge" scene. I always felt they leaned more towards being a metal-based band, and of course nowadays their blend of mellow, moody atmosphere and heavier dynamics fits right in with what alot of metal bands are attempting to do today.
"Dirt" is a fantastic album. It's such a dark album and yet it still conveys so many different moods and shades. I think it's probably one of the top twenty or thirty best cds to come out in the last twenty years.

If people are able to put on an album like "Dirt" and then follow it up by listening to one of our albums, and be able to appreciate them both, then that makes me feel very good indeed.

Not a huge fan, but I agree 100% that they mistakingly get lumped into the 90's MTV grunge genre. They came out commercially at an awkward time for metal.

I definitely appreciate some of their tracks, such as Rooster and Them Bones.
I felt their slower accoustic stuff to be too similar to the commercial sounding Soundgarden, Stone Temple Pilots, etc.....

I actually saw them live many years ago at one of those Lollapalooza's.
They stood out live, and had a cool stage setup with huge video screens showing different footage for each track (I know that is rather standard now, but wasn't as much so at that time).

I think they are rumored to be headlining next years Ozzfest.