Alive Again

Jim LotFP

The Keeper of Metal
Jun 7, 2001
Helsinki, Finland
www.lotfp.com
... whhooooooooooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa doggy!

More analysis to come for sure, but after listening to it for nine hours straight last night, Eternal (with it's big Arena-like keyboard part in the last half, although I didn't pop out the Nightingale to check my neoprog reference point, haha) and State of Shock are definitely the better songs on here...

Not metal, more the AOR-rock type thing which should surprise no one into the band... and the point's driven home when there are bits of metal drumming which serves as a comparison point. With the full band, instead of just Dan and 'Tom', it really is a more complete sound... although it follows the normal 'song' patterns they used on I rather than the moodiness and eclectic Closing Chronicles structures.

Lots of 'callbacks' to earlier stuff, mainly in the lyrics (understandable in that Nightingale is a concept band but hearing 'deep inside of nowhere' makes me perk up), and even a couple times taking sound elements from Breathing Shadow (and it has a nasty surprise for those of you falling asleep while listening, or listening too closely...)...

Definitely a very cool album, keep a few buck handy for the January release date...

(oh yeah, I guess I should mention that the plan is for another MONSTER Dan Swanö interview for LotFP, that's going to be pushed back a bit with the release date, but when it hits... you'll be glad to know and Dan will be miserable to know that I will attempt to have enough interesting and unique topics to question him about to rival the four hour conversation we last had... hehe)