All aboard the Winmar road trip

Winmar

Pillock of society
Apr 16, 2001
Canberra
Me and Mrs Winmar are soon to embark on a bit of a drive round this fine country of ours. As long as the car is ok (getting it serviced on Tuesday, so will find out then), we'll be heading off along the Great Ocean Road to Adelaide, then up north as far as Tennant Creek, then across Qld to Townsville. We'll then go south, stay in Brisbane with my uncle for maybe a week, then head down through Sydney, Canberra etc.

The reason I'm writing this is that I'd like to meet up with whoever's interested along the way. We hope to leave on Thursday, and be in Qld by sometime early in January if possible. Anyway, I'll see what happens. I dunno how much net access I'll have along the way, so could those who want to meet up give me your contact details or something?

Tah very muchly.

I was actually going to do a trip similar to this back in June or July, but was going to try to go all the way around the country:

Brisbane - Sydney - Melbourne - Adelaide - Perth - Broome - Darwin - Tennant Creek - Mount Isa - Townsville - Cairns - Townsville - Brisbane. Something like that. I was then going to write a book about it but I couldn't think of a goofy angle for it (and all travel books need goofy angles these days). Maybe another time.

Hehe I'd love to include Perth, but I'd need an extra few weeks to do that! Thanks Coops, it should be good.

Pop along Mark, I'll meet you in Mt Isa, after seeing Spiff in Tennant Creek. :) Why didn't you end up going on the trip Spiffo? Sounds like it'd be a good'un.

Thanks very much, Brian and Xena. Looking forward to it!

You in Geelong itself, Sydo? I've gotta drop some CDs off at a mate's house somewhere down there. There's a party on in Colac on Friday night, so I might have to plan to go to that on the way through.

Depending on your trip, and the timing, I will either be in Lithgow or Canbloodyberra.

Canberra 'till 7th Jan or thereabouts, and Lithgow after that.

Ah I'll be down your way sometime after Jan 20...not sure exactly when. I'll have to keep you posted!

Getting my car back tomorrow, with a few things done to it. I dread to think what it's gonna cost. :(

Winnie - I decided to cancel it because my older brother who lives in England said he was going to be visiting around the time that I had planned the trip. But then he didn't bother visiting, and by that time I had stopped bothering saving money for said venture.

Bah.

I remember said supossed visuit spiffo, i saved money to go have a beer with him...then blew it all on beer for myself :kickass:

As for you winny, I will meet up with ya when ya get to brisbane if ya want, have a beer of 12, tell me when the car is all good and i'll PM my mobile phone number to ya

Hehe Terry's house is but a stone's throw from mine. :) Gotta love silly cricket jokes. ;)

I think my friend's a physio in Colac. That's what he studied anyway. Those physio people always seem to start out in places like that. If you see people outside a house in Colac dressed as superheroes, that's probably where I'll be. ;)

Any plans to save for the trip again and do it in future, Spiffnos?

Got the car back today. $1,129. :( Bit of a dent in the budget. That's gonna make it an even more poverty stricken holiday than it is going to be already. Oh well. I'm working Thurs and Fri to counter it a little bit (intended to leave on Thurs).

It'd be an honour Southy. Lookin' forward to it. Should be in Brissie for five days or so, and will let you know when I'm there. Probably mid January. Can you PM me your number?

For any stragglers who belatedly decide not to be antisocial, my mobile number's 0439 678 814. Send me a message or something at some stage. Meeting up for a beer is not difficult! Or a soft drink if you don't drink alcohol......