All metal recording GODS help us out!

Here's my 0.02 cents, take it or leave it....

I know a guy who has spent THOUSANDS of $$ on his guitar rig. Here's what it consists of:
Gibson Zakk Wylde Les Paul, which are over $4,400 now but he got his when it was $3,500
Dean Razorback Slime Bumblebee - $1,100
Dean Dime-o-Flame - $800
another Dean ML with a brushed metal top, probably worth over $1k
Jackson Randy Rhoads RR5 - $1,300
Marshall Zakk Wylde Signature JCM800 - They were about $2k new
Marshall 1960X 4x12 cab (x 2, ones with the checkered tweed cloth) - $1,100 x2
SKB Floorboard - $250
Boss OD-20 Twin Overdrive - $160
Boss AC-3 Acoustic Simulater - $100
Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor - $85
and a whole bunch of other Boss pedals I couldn't figure out...probably about 5 more at $100 each on average

So, give or take, he's spent at least $13k on his guitar rig. This is completely on the impulse that buying the same rig as Zakk Wylde, even down to playing RR and Dime guitars like he does, will make him a good guitarist. He also originally had an Ace Frehley LP and a Marshall JCM2000 TSL100 Full Stack, simply because he was trying to do the same thing but with Ace Frehley. Point being, he still doesn't play very well...the gear didn't make up for his inadequate discipline on practicing and building his ability. He's much better of a guitarist NOW as compared to 7 years ago when I was in a band with him...even then, I was using an Ibanez JS100 with stock pickups -> DigiTech RP3 -> Crate 120w Solid State head -> old Randall shitty 4x12 and my tone was FAR superior to his, which is embarassing because I was using complete garbage equipment. His tone STILL sucks.

Money does not buy your way in.

Let me repeat this: MONEY DOES NOT BUY YOUR WAY IN!

This example above is just a tip of the iceberg that can be touched on. Sure, having $50k worth of gear might dazzle clients into coming to you for business...but you need to be able to back it up. I have been on this forum for about 3 years now, and I learn new and creative things all the time thanks to the wonderful input from everyone who hangs here. I've even been put in my place a few times when I thought I knew what was up (thanks James Murphy), and it's all for constructive purposes. Coming onto this forum and saying "I have $xxxxx to spend, I wanna record, tell me what I should get" is going to make some people resentful, as there are guys on this forum that can put many "pro's" to shame with a laptop rig who have been scraping the barrel most of thier adult lives and have to work straight jobs just to afford to throw $100 on something every month. Some guys here have built marvelous studios over time, often under the same circumstances. Asking on this forum such a question is probably just going to get responses telling you to buy the most expensive equipment there is and then standing back to see how soon you fail. As JBroll said, get equipment that retains it's value...he might have been saying it initially to be a smartass but if this turns out right away to be something that is not as easy as it seems you might as well be getting some of your money back.

I, personally, can only encourage maybe spending a year on this board before deciding to make such a serious purchase. Start low, get a crummy DAW setup going for a couple hundred bucks and stuff the rest of that $50k in an interest-bearing account. Learn the tricks, get the basics down, ask questions and recieve input. At least then, you will have an idea on what you may or may not need afterall and you can afford to throw the ducats for sure. Otherwise, you might as well just look at Andy's equipment list and buy as much of the same shit as you can...cuz if money is not really an object, not figuring out what all the equipment is going to do for you is just as worthless.

If you are a record company wanting to explore the possibility of doing recording for the bands you sign (I'm just assuming, since your handle is "crimson records"), then maybe just getting a bunch of equipment isn't the answer. Maybe start out by finding a guy locally that can be your go-to dude for recording your labels bands, and do some sort of a symbiotic thing where you both benefit from the projects.

And you are right, music isnt' all about business...until the moment a dollar amount is asked for from you or by you. When you record a cd, and pay a pressing plant to print you off xxx amount of cd's and it costs $xxx to do so, then you worry about how much to charge for it so you can make your money back...it becomes business. When you want to play a gig xxx miles away and you wonder how much they are going to pay you or how much gas you will be able to afford to get there...it becomes business. You throw down for a top-flight P.A. and some dildo spills his beer on your board and you have to buy a new one...it becomes business. I can go on and on. Being in a band is one of the best examples of marketing that a musician can have his hands in: whether you are "in it for the money" or not, you are still going to spend any number of dollars...regardless of how much it means to you or not...doing promotional stuff or augmenting the overall sound/appearance/etc of your group. Calling venues to see if you can play there is pretty much business, even if they aren't paying you because it matters how much you are worth to them (bars want to know if you will bring a crowd to sell alcohol to, other venues worry about ticket sales and if you draw crowd, etc). It isn't always a matter of thinking of whether you are going to come out ahead, but how far you will come out on the bottom. Whether you want to think of it or not, being in a band is pretty much a business.

The biggest hint you can get is that there is probably a reason people go to recording engineers to record thier albums. It's often just easier to pay someone else to twiddle the knobs who already has the shit to do it with...I can be honest in saying that I think I am insane for deciding to get into recording and I don't think I'll ever be happy with my ability or the amount of tools I acquire to do it. You can use any expensive hobby as an analogy for this (hot rod building is the first to come to mind)...it always sounds fun but even when you have a fuckload of money to throw into it, it's not always fruitful in the end. Maybe you might want to rationalize to yourself and your bandmates whether it's really the way to go. If so, by all means, do some research....but I wouldn't expect the magic answer here. It's bad enough we argue over MAC vs. PC among several other arguments, you will get several skewed opinions. Maybe look into stuff that grabs your attention, maybe possibly look into some in-store/in-studio demos of whos doing what with what, and see what looks interesting. Dig some.

Simple.

DON'T SPEND ANY OF THAT MONEY ON RECORDING EQUIPMENT. GO TO A STUDIO, RECORD YOUR SONGS, AND DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY.

Release the caps lock fury!!:)

Seriously, good results take time and knowledge, you can buy a great sounding recording from a studio, you can't buy lots of equipment and get the same result.

Joe

NOT blow...

Jeff
ahh i was gonna invite him over for a 1 on 1 lesson over a kilo...

honestly tho dude i get your point now. you don`t mean that you want to spend it all, you just want to get a good start. i cant offer much better advice than others have. get a firepod (or equivalent) a computer with a dual processor and at least 2 gb of ram and a few sm57`s and a couple small diaphragm condensers. quit your job and move back with your parents if possible (seriously) and take about 6 months to soak up every article, dozens of magazines and books regarding recording. even then u will still feel like a noob, but if you have the passion i think you do, then you will stay involved.
one thing that helps me when discouraged is to think of how much you sucked, and the improvement you have made from 6 months ago, and then think of how much better you will be 6 months from then

I would second what pretty much everyone said already.
50000 is a lot of money if you wanna open a manicure-studio or so.
it's so much it really hurts if you screw up...

BUT 50000 is FUCK ALL if you wanna build a recordingstudio.
that is pretty much what I spent for insulation and acoustics alone (and I did a shitload of stuff myself to safe money).

it's not only the preamps, mics and interfaces....it's the small things that are necessairy but really hurt.
get an electrician to get your power right (separate phases, star-grounding...) and you'll already have spent like 5000-10000.
you'll need halfway decent cables and micstands: at least another 2000
forget about a console, but even a decent desk (as in "table") and some 19" racks will cost you like 1000-5000.
plugins: AT LEAST another 2000.

not to destroy your dreams, but if you wanna have a recordingstudio (and I'm not even talking about big-scale, but only about a project-studio) you'll definitely have spent the 50k before you own a single mic or preamp or interface.
if not you haven'T thought enough about the details and will look at a halfway finished studio that you can't use and zero money left.

and even IF you would be able to get a room, rig, whatever for the 50k that you could do a recording with....how would you pay your rent, food, insurances, electricity.... if the studio won't be fully booked at a decent price?

the first recordings you'll be doing won't really make you money (and I'm not talking about the first RECORDINGS but actually more about the first YEARS of recording) since you won't get paid really well in the beginning.
you'll be doing recordings for pretty much fuck all payment...that's your advertising in the beginning, that's how it works...
so you should have the 50k as a cushion to pay your expenses etc.

I know, I sound like an asshole, but that's just the truth..

you're thinking "50k, yeah, that's a decent start"....well....it's not. I'd advice you to do everything you can from your bedroom and as soon as you make some money look into renting studios etc....once you're really sure that you'll be booked (and paid!) well enough to run your own place make a businessplan.
don't think like "I've got xy amount of money how could I spend it..."
it has do be like "what do I need...rooms, insulation...wiring....mics..." try not to think about how much $ you have...you don't have to think about money you have in that stage...think about stuff you NEED.
if you have worked in the biz for a couple of years you'll hopefully have a list that covers 80% of the stuff you really need (there'll always be more that you haven't thought about....or won't you need a coffeemachine, a fridge, another set of patchcables and some furniture? ).

look at that list and at how much money you need in total. than see if you can generate that money.
keep in mind: that list should not only cover the one-time-expenses...expect that your studio won't be fully booked for the next year (at least!).

you'll see 50k is FUCK ALL money to open a recordingstudio but definitely enough to put you in a deep hole for the next couple of years!!

Agreed. That $50k ain't going far. Hell, our main studio is at Cory's house in the basement. Has been since we started 9 years ago. He probably spent about $5,000 on the "first version". That includes me doing ALL the building/carpentry/soundproofing work myself. But that was a shitty little fucking studio too! We were doing band's demos on a fucking Korg D16 :lol:

We have a killer studio now (2 actually). But, we started small and invested over time. My advice:

Find a well established recording studio near you and see about doing an apprenticeship. Try to learn from some older "guru's". Get familiar with some hands-on equipment and techniques. There's tons of different styles of control surfaces, consoles, preamps, interfaces, etc. Get some experience with another studio's equipment, micing techniques and preferences, etc. That will help you narrow down your own wish list, based on what you have become comfortable with and accustomed to.

Good Luck and have fun.

Money does not buy your way in.

Let me repeat this: MONEY DOES NOT BUY YOUR WAY IN!

So true :worship:

Your pod question was a big eyebrow raiser for me also. :Smug:

Now I have the same hardware as others on this board and there mixes and recordings are way better than mine. Just goes to show you skills are what you need not the best equipment. Even though it would not be nice to have great stuff.

Buy yourself some training, cos quality ears aren't on stock at Sweetwater. You need those the most (and some serious trial and errorexperience to learn how to trust them).

Get the computersystem you understand the best, don't buy a Mac for snobbish reasons, a properly designed pc works just as well (go to ADK, they deliver). PC's can be tailored to work as an DAW, Macs are just Macs, and they crash too.

Get some good micpre's. Buy a great eqplugin, like Algorithmix blue (VERY important). Get Steven Slate's drumsamples. Get an RME pcicard. Don't go USB or Firewire.

Don't go PTLE, latencytrouble with plugs.

Get some decent monitors (genelecs or stuff) and put rockwool against the wall you're looking at while listenig.

Get an 40 inch HD tv as the main screen so everyone can watch what's going on, and it can be put at some distance so you don't have a screen in front of your ears all the time.

Get a comfy chair, airco and a large fridge.

Buy yourself some training, cos quality ears aren't on stock at Sweetwater. You need those the most (and some serious trial and errorexperience to learn how to trust them).

Get the computersystem you understand the best, don't buy a Mac for snobbish reasons, a properly designed pc works just as well (go to ADK, they deliver). PC's can be tailored to work as an DAW, Macs are just Macs, and they crash too.

Get some good micpre's. Buy a great eqplugin, like Algorithmix blue (VERY important). Get Steven Slate's drumsamples. Get an RME pcicard. Don't go USB or Firewire.

Don't go PTLE, latencytrouble with plugs.

Get some decent monitors (genelecs or stuff) and put rockwool against the wall you're looking at while listenig.

Get an 40 inch HD tv as the main screen so everyone can watch what's going on, and it can be put at some distance so you don't have a screen in front of your ears all the time.

Get a comfy chair, airco and a large fridge.

All of that is very opinionated, for what is supposed to be unbiased advice. "Don't go PTLE"??? I have ZERO latency issues with plugs, or anything else for that matter, using Pro Tools LE and HD, and I use it on both Mac's and Custom-Built PC's.

Once again... My advice to "CRIMSON..":
SEEK OUT AN APPRENTICESHIP.

All of that is very opinionated, for what is supposed to be unbiased advice. "Don't go PTLE"??? I have ZERO latency issues with plugs, or anything else for that matter, using Pro Tools LE and HD, and I use it on both Mac's and Custom-Built PC's.

Once again... My advice to "CRIMSON..":
SEEK OUT AN APPRENTICESHIP.

Digi finally added latencycompensation to LE? :headbang: (I'm still on PTmix OS9 :lol: )

Anyway, let this guy go Cubase Essentials or something. With a (very) good eq, good set of drumsamples and a pair of Genelecs. He won't be any good for the next three years so just help him a bit with some stuff that can hardly go very wrong.

Which is exactly why I said he should save the money and find an apprenticeship with a decent studio, so he could learn from someone first-hand, and spend some time developing his ears and instincts.

Which is exactly why I said he should save the money and find an apprenticeship with a decent studio, so he could learn from someone first-hand, and spend some time developing his ears and instincts.

This guy wants to spend a crapload of money NOW to make his dream come true.

Try holding him back. :lol:

I worked for people like him, too much money and too little patience. They don't need to learn or earn, they just wanna live their dream.

Algo blue, Cubase essentials, Waves L3-16, SS samples, Kontakt 3, Line 6 gearbox, RME card and some Behringer ADA8000's.

If he gets frustrated he will seek/hire help. Eventually. :cool:

Pro Tools LE still doesn't have latency compensation, that's why I switched to Cubase.

You're kidding right?

Djeez, PTLE has a firm name in messing up musical timing, it really wouldn't hurt their sales if they added this little sampledelayfunction to each track.. How much trouble can that be...

It's a simple 2 or 3 mouse clicks to adjust the Hardware Buffer between tracking and mixing. And on my Mac, I don't even have to do that very often. But that's why I only use our Custom-built PC's for running HD. Don't have to worry about them screwing up when the TDM is handling the work. LE runs just fine on a decent Mac.

we're not talking about tracking latency, we're talking about plugin latency, for instance parallel compression ends up being a pain in the ass and I always end up with my drums going out of phase with the overheads.