Am I insane for not being a big fan of Iron Maiden?

I feel Maiden like a pick a song band too. I like some of their songs. I find nothing wrong on not liking them. I'm not a huge fan of them even though I like a lot old school metal and rock. I prefer hearing covers of their songs better than the original songs they play.

What's a cross over hit?

a song that was played on top 40 stations. a song that was heard outside of the rock/metal community. priest had "you've got another thing coming" and i think "living after midnight". like someone else said priest was on the show top of the pops and i don't maiden ever was

Priest has had:

Livin After Midnight (TOTP)
Breaking The Law
You Got Another Thing Comin
United (TOTP)
Take On The World (TOTP)

Actually, now I come to think about it, Maiden have had chart songs such as The Number of The beast and Bring your daughter to the slaughter, which was on the library of 'every no1 song since 1950' on an emirates plane I was on.

Maiden definetly have been on top of the pops. Sorry I must have been under the influence or something :lol:

Even fairly recently they have.

Still prefer Priest by far. Love every album I'v heard (even turbo) except demoliton which I would say is mediocre.

Actually, now I come to think about it, Maiden have had chart songs such as The Number of The beast and Bring your daughter to the slaughter, which was on the library of 'every no1 song since 1950' on an emirates plane I was on.

Maiden definetly have been on top of the pops. Sorry I must have been under the influence or something :lol:

Even fairly recently they have.

Still prefer Priest by far. Love every album I'v heard (even turbo) except demoliton which I would say is mediocre.

in america those IM weren't big hits either

Black Sabbath and Motorhead (to my knowledge) also went to top of the pops.

a song that was played on top 40 stations. a song that was heard outside of the rock/metal community. priest had "you've got another thing coming" and i think "living after midnight". like someone else said priest was on the show top of the pops and i don't maiden ever was

Thanks for the info. I don't listen to radio or care about it as media, so in a sense I'm glad if the band never was played among the common crap, metal after of is elitism to me. Not the best attitude maybe but I don't want my music been played to exhaustion on some radio, and all the kids downloading and whistling one song like if would be a Madonna tune, not caring for the album, the band and the spirit of metal.

NP: Time Requiem - 'Miracle Man'

Well anyway like I said Maiden have had chart songs as well and are more well known and by less 'educated' metalheads now anyway.

The whole thing was about who's made the most money so who is more 'metal' is irrelevant.

That would be priest though imo anyway. I haven't heard anything like painkiller by Maiden but I don't bother with their new stuff anyway. I suppose it's noodely and not as hooky as before.

Seems to me Priest was not fully transformed into a heavy metal band at the time of those radio songs, while Maiden was heavy metal from the start so naturally Priest would reach a wider audience. Around these parts people that were into metal waved both their Maiden and Priest flags high and most of those same guys still do and still have a steady listening diet of both. The impact of both bands was and still is priceless to the genre.

Geeze... I have no problems with Dance of Death or A Matter of Life and Death, got all the signatures of Maiden plus nearly 30 years/14 albums. Sounds damn good for a bunch of 50 yr old metal heads.

Seems to me Priest was not fully transformed into a heavy metal band at the time of those radio songs, while Maiden was heavy metal from the start so naturally Priest would reach a wider audience.

Priest have been a metal band since sin after sin. Have you heard dissident aggressor?.

It's more odd songs that aren't, maybe Turbo album too. I old say maiden sounds like some of priests stuff anyway: exciter etc.

Key words "not fully", my point was some of their music was more commercially marketable/user friendly/accessable, they still retained many rock qualities, you know, sing along, dance, tap your foot.... Living After Midnight prime example of what Im talking about. Maiden was all non commercial heavy metal. So I was refering to the point of comparing who had chart singles and who sold what and how many to who. Its a futile point of reference to use comparing the bands. We should all be happy that bands had their own feel in those times compared to today where any 10 from what ever sub genre will sound very similiar. I remember more heavy metal bands that came around during 83/84/85 like Queensryche, Fates Waring and even Helloween being accused of being Maiden rip offs or sounding too much like Maiden with their debut albums than bands accused of Priest rip offs. Fortunantly those bands evolved and came into their own. That Maiden triplet gallop is/was kinda of addictive. I can still hear the Maiden influence in many metal bands today... even if those young guys have no idea where it came from, Im not just talking about galloping riffs either.

in america iron maiden never had a cross over hit. everything was either a rock hit or played on mtv

Not for nothing but those songs of JP's that were/are played on radio are due to not being too "metal" and being more poppier, catchy, rockier... but nonetheless I don't know if you grew up in the 80's but I do know that I saw more IM shirts/backpatches etc. then i saw of JP... especially around 1985 during the Powerslave tour and release of Live After Death... it is what made me aware of Maiden at the time... I would say they were at their peak at that time while JP was declining... but anyways a couple of songs being hit songs does not mean they sold more albums overall.. I don't know about you but i tend not to buy 1 album for just 1 song... but anyways point is hit songs does not equal more sales career wise... but I would guess the only way to check each bands sales would be through Billboard magazine/website somehow...

Key words "not fully", my point was some of their music was more commercially marketable/user friendly/accessable, they still retained many rock qualities, you know, sing along, dance, tap your foot.... Living After Midnight prime example of what Im talking about. Maiden was all non commercial heavy metal. So I was refering to the point of comparing who had chart singles and who sold what and how many to who. Its a futile point of reference to use comparing the bands. We should all be happy that bands had their own feel in those times compared to today where any 10 from what ever sub genre will sound very similiar. I remember more heavy metal bands that came around during 83/84/85 like Queensryche, Fates Waring and even Helloween being accused of being Maiden rip offs or sounding too much like Maiden with their debut albums than bands accused of Priest rip offs. Fortunantly those bands evolved and came into their own. That Maiden triplet gallop is/was kinda of addictive. I can still hear the Maiden influence in many metal bands today... even if those young guys have no idea where it came from, Im not just talking about galloping riffs either.

most people say queensryche use to sound like a judas priest ripoff

most people say queensryche use to sound like a judas priest ripoff

I never heard that but probably due to Tates high wailing. Some of the mid era Preist music still retained a hardrock sound and groove, a bit of boogie, not exactly like but with groove and riff similarities to Nugent and even ZZ Top. I dont hear that in Maiden or Queensryche. I actually prefer their(JP) earlier stuff to the latter for that reason, it was where they came from, their roots.

They got kind of 'more metal' than the later (but still old) bands though, after Turbo. Wouldn't you agree? I really do think of Priest as being more Metal over all just because their sound is usually more aggresive and because some of the stuff that they have done.

I really do think of Priest as being more Metal over all just because their sound is usually more aggresive and because some of the stuff that they have done.

Overall JP is more a true metal band than IM, I do agree with you.

some people think metal is an attitude, some think its how much distortion there is, some think its how raw or brutal or fast, some want to say old metal "isnt really metal", some want to say even old hard rock was metal

I seperate hard rock from metal in more of a music theory and rythmic way. The type of groove thats layed down and the attack of the guitars. I'm going to have a hard time explaing this but its something I can just hear.... Metal uses lots of palm mute pedaling riffs, most times using all 7 notes of the mode or scale, sometimes mode changes, the rythmns are typically steady pounding, you know.... bang your head. Rock mostly utilized the 5 note pentatonic scales with passing note from the blues scales, the rhythmn pattern of the riffs is more like a shuffle or has a boogie feel, I dont know..... more of a sway than a bang your head.

Priest did a good job of combining both but you could still always hear their roots which reach back pretty far. I wouldnt deny them metal status, that would be crazy. They may very well have been the ultimate transition band because they had a good feel for both and were there in the middle of the transition period. But I would still say and if my memory serves me correctly Maiden was considered heavier, like a step further. By the time Piece of Mind came Maiden was the latest thing, heavier, darker, more brutal. Alot more than that was going on around that time but thats my take on the Priest/Maiden differences.

If you read a bit about it, apparently there was some pressure on Preist for "falling behind" in the brutal department especially with thrash coming into popularity. Seems like Maiden never ventured even the slightest toward thrash but just stayed their path. You can hear Preist adding some thrashy ideas later on.

Doesnt matter, both bands are unto themselves but Maiden was heavy metal through and through, Priest was drawing on a few styles.

Also looking at wikipedia last night it appears through the 1980 to 1990 recording period both bands have sold about equally album for album in the US. Nothing overrated about good sales.... :headbang:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Judas_Priest_discography
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron_Maiden_discography

Actually I started the sales thing just by asking who made the most money out of curiosity. I thought it might not neccesarily be the one that's most famous at the present.

I do understand what you're saying about judas priest changing their styles. I suppose my deal is I don't need a band to have about 10 albums with the same sound before I'll respect them, one is enough.

Despite whatever their actually doing; technically, Maiden just seem too, too something lol. Idk personal preference Priest by far. Iron Maidens early stuff isn't really WAY different from Priest though, like I said.

IM may done the same thing for longer, but that's not that amazing really. I still only like some of it, again just personal preference.

They both are the biggest influences in metal besides Sabbath. And even though Priest put out Turbo, and Ram It Down- Maiden-X Factor and Virtual XI...at least they didn't have fans screaming and foaming at the mouth with frustration like Metallica did when they snubbed their fans- (referring to Lars saying after their Grammy win "we're not a metal band")-and put out some sub-par albums since 90' I know that some people like those Metallica albums..fine, to each their own, but, at least with the wise Maiden, and Priest, they know what made them heavy metal Icons in the end, and went back to what they do best.