Am I the only one...

Wanderingblade

Just Hangin' Around
Jan 5, 2002
Leeds/London, UK
Visit site
who finds a lot of DT songs really depressing?

I mean, even without clean vox we get songs like Lethe, Hours passed, Format C, The enemy, Tidal Tantrums... then you get the clean vocals, and the instrumentals...

sometimes DT seem like a Doom band that never got the idea of slowness...

Well?

yea, i can see that. i find in flames really depressing too, but lets not turn this into a thread about them, because that can lead to no good.

Well, most metal music are depressing... lots of minor keys used in its music. Kinda hard to find "happy" metal music.

You're not the only one, i think they are one of the bands with more depressing (and really more beautiful) lyrics and melodies...they have something special, a sort of melancholy, desperation that is their own...both depressing and great

curiously enough, i hardly ever get depressed with dt songs... to me they're more energetic than everything else.
if i were to name the only tracks that really tend to get me down, i'd say to a bitter halt (the part about the pillow makes me feel alone and desolate every time) and through ebony archways. even the dreaded "i brought you fires / that you put out" has some sort of "hate to say i told you so" ringing in my ears.

rahvin.

rahvin: Yes, they can also be very energetic, almost upbeat... sometimes too angry to be sad (Of Chaos...)

But I find they maange to be agressive, and yet depressive. The frenetic energy of the despairing if you will...

Well, they´re kinda´depressing but somehow they cheer me up when I´m not feeling fine.
What a great band they are...

i think they're depressing only in Projector (but this of course, doesn't mean that Projector isn't good), otherwise i see their music more as energic and aggressive.

Miolo

@rahve: so i'm not the only one who cannot survive the "i brought you fires..." line. each time i hear it i feel like crying. it's so stupid for people to put out fires. :cry:

h

How many a time haven't fires been put out? Surely more than enough. I've certainly had my share of getting my fires put out... :( (Let's leave that for another thread, folks...)

I have to admit that line doesn't work out to be one of DT's greatest (its a bitch to sing also) but the emotion lies elsewhere...

the lost meandering opening... the doubt-infected main riff... Mikael's questioning, despairing vocals... those truly heat rending roars for "doubt", "long" and "again"... the lonely keyboards... the short guitar solo, that acts as a summary to the whole doubt, loneliness and anguish thats in the song...

Thats the depressing parts.

well,even if there is a lot of energy in their music,many songs give me a depressing feeling....not the feeling of breaking down and cry but a darkness in my heart let's say... this happens mostly with songs from the gallery, a few from the minds I and of course with "alone" and also with some from haven.....

same things happens with the music of At the gates...even if their lyrics are not really sad they create a very intense feeling of disappointment,despearation and fear of what's going on around us....and that's depressive enough.....uhmmmm...i guess nobody understands what i'm trying to say :p

I think DT songs are both depressive and energic at the same time. They talk about feelings,loneliness, deep angry...they are fantastic.
@Melancholia: I think more or less I can undestand you,so other people will do it totally.
@Arch: "happy metal"? I think Stratovarius can be defined as happy metal, don´t U think? :)
@DeepInDarkness: I like very much how you think about the lyrics: all those depressing lines...were do they come from? Maybe because of Mikael´s suffering? So.....what on earth has to happen to a person to feel like that ?(so sad, angry,etc) and how good is he expressing feelings!!. Or maybe he hasn´t feel the things he writes????? So how can he imagine those feelings?

@melancholia -- i get exactly what you are saying, and especially the at the gates part...hey, dont you love that "22 years of pain part?" that is what the "beauty" of this style of vocals is that many "outsiders" dont appreciate. it may be the only way to convey that particular feeling. and i will mention again that i get this from in flames too. and also that i love in flames. and also that i am in love with bjorn.
this is why i want to be a death vocalist (melodic death metal that is), so i can express my intense disappointment, self-loathing and frustration. its so much more direct than with guitar -- i still havent figured out the emotions-to-guitar-parts formula ( i know, i know, there is no "formula"....)