Amorphis

grey knight

Etheraven
Oct 31, 2007
Siikajoki
I have heard alot of this band, I haven't really checked them out, but wikipedia says that they play progressive metal with doom and folk influence, so I quess it's perfectish for me. :)

Any thoughts, recommendations...other stuff?

Definitely. Their first album is more of a death metal sound with some doom metal thrown in, but since their third album "Elegy" they shifter their sound majorly. You should definitely check them out.

What about the album "Far from the sun" btw? I was wondering because it's about 5€ on some places.
I'd not start with this one, as it's possibly their worst from their "clean-vocals" era. For that, you should check out Tuonela and Am Universum.

If you like death vocals mixed with clean, with killer analog keys and progressive elements you need Elegy, my personal favourite.

Overall, great band.

I have their "Tales from the Thousand Lakes", it's listenable. But in its time I think it was considered to have very different and creative elements.

Elegy is pretty good. Their early stuff is alright. Overall, their songs are pretty repetitive, which would be okay if the repetitions had some sort of variation. But they typically don't. At least not on Elegy or Black Winter Day.

FTR, my fave song by them is My Kantele. Especially the acoustic version. Good stuff.

I personally prefer these three albums the most.

Am Universum
Eclipse
Silent Waters

I'm not a fan of their early era, but the music is listenable, I guess.
Far From the Sun is such a bad Amorphis album it's ridiculous, good thing they came to their senses with Eclipse and Silent Water.

I personally prefer these three albums the most.

Am Universum
Eclipse
Silent Waters

I'm not a fan of their early era, but the music is listenable, I guess.
Far From the Sun is such a bad Amorphis album it's ridiculous, good thing they came to their senses with Eclipse and Silent Water.

same with me

I actually like the new vocalist better than the old one.

Actually I hate the new vocalist...and that's why i only like amorphis until "far from the sun"
Btw, Elegy and TFTTL rules badly!

Excellent band. I really like Esa Holopainens guitar work. Definitely, get "Elegy", Tales From a Thousand Lakes", "Tuonela", Silent Waters" and "Eclipse" New one coming out this year.

Elegy album is a true classic and so is Tales from the Thousand Lakes, but the last 2 albums have been truly amazing also and the new one seems to be following in the same vein. I would get their albums in this order:

Elegy
Eclipse
Tales from the Thousand Lakes
Silent Waters
Tuonela
Karelian Isthmus
AM Universaum
Far From the Sun

The new singer is good... better then Pasi, but Pasi has such an unique an interesting voice.
Best album imo: Am Universun

Every album is interesting. A new one is coming really soon.
Btw the "My Kantele EP" is awesome, check out the Hawkwind cover.