Amp Recommendations?

Dec 8, 2005
Hey, I am looking for a practice/gigging amp. By that I mean, an amp not so large that I can have it in my room, and as well as fit for gigging. Anyone have any recommendations for anything $500 or lower?

If you are only looking to buy new, for 500 dollars I'd probably spring for some kind of modeling amp. Especially if you are looking for something that's good for practice. You might be able to find some pretty good deals on used stuff on ebay. I've seen lower-end Boogies go for as low as 500-600. Then again, you're not going to want a tube amp if you are looking for something to practice in your room with.

More importantly......the important things to consider are what kind of gigs (size/genre) and what styles/sounds are you trying to obtain?

Well, at this point, I am not considering a Boogie, at least for now. I am not even in a band yet, but I want an amp willing to deliver at a gig if it ever comes up, as well as have something in my room to practice. I am considering a Line 6 Spider III

Something along those lines is probably your best bet. The only modeling equipment I have extensive experience with is the Podxt, and based on that I'd definitely reccomend to stick with Line 6 as far as modeling gear goes.

Well, at this point, I am not considering a Boogie, at least for now. I am not even in a band yet, but I want an amp willing to deliver at a gig if it ever comes up, as well as have something in my room to practice. I am considering a Line 6 Spider III

I would suggest a Vox AD 30/50, they're tube amps. I use one with a cheap boss Metal zone, i can get soo many different tones, i've never tried a better combo amp.

I just recently got the tone i was looking for, it's pretty much a necrophagist-like tone, and i was surprised that i could get that with a 30W amp.

The Line 6 Spider II's suck. I haven't heard the 3rd version but they're probably not that much better. Get a PODXT or something and the Metal Pack.

The Line 6 things sound ok in small places but if you were to take it to a gig and play in a large space with a full band, they'll get lost in the mix. You can't even hear them properly when they're at halfway because of the weird, digital tone they give. Trust me, I've been there.

If you join a band, I'd worry about a live rig then. Just get something to practice on that sounds good in your room or where ever you're going to practice.

When you join a band and gig, you're making money. If that money is whatever portion of your totaly income (in other words, if you're a professional musician making money as such), you can deduct the money for your amp (and other music equipment) from your taxes.

Seek tax advice before doing so though.

If you join a band, I'd worry about a live rig then. Just get something to practice on that sounds good in your room or where ever you're going to practice.

When you join a band and gig, you're making money. If that money is whatever portion of your totaly income (in other words, if you're a professional musician making money as such), you can deduct the money for your amp (and other music equipment) from your taxes.

Seek tax advice before doing so though.

Wow I wasn't aware of that, I wonder if it's the same in Canada.

It's definately like that in Australia. If you declare ALL the money you earn, especially from gigs, private teaching etc. you can claim back tax on pretty much anything you might use as part of that earning. Equipment, sheet music, cd's, even concert tickets if you're using then to 'further' your ability to teach/play etc.

Why dont you try a Marshall MG250DFX its great i use it in my room and sometimes in gigs just get a mic infront of it when you play and

My Line 6 Vetta 1 never got lost in the mix, and never sounded like a toy. It's always been faithful to me until some fucker switched it to 16 ohms and tried plugging it into 2 cabs.

When you're working with Line 6 amps, it also depends on which model you're using; Which Line 6 amp AND which amp model you're using with the amp. The Spider 2's do typically tend to get lost in the mix, and that's because the models themselves are modified by Line 6 to "Sound Better", and that's probably where the "digital sound" comes from.
The Metal channel on the Spider 2 is a model of the Mesa 2x Rectifier, with major compression added to it, and after a while, adding compression is what makes an amp sound like a toy. It'll happen to any amp tone, Line 6 or not. Line 6 just took the trouble of adding all the compression for you.
The Insane channel is a model that Line 6 made themselves, and I thought it was an awesome lead tone until I actually had to use it live. That's when it got lost in the ether of my band's epic sound.

When you're working with a Vetta amp, you're working with the core amp models in their true form, unmodified by Line 6, and that's because it's up to YOU to modify it however you want. I honestly think that the Mesa eRecto models suck balls, but that's because I'm already fapping to my Engl Powerball and Bogner Uberschall models 24/7. And why? Because when they're not compressed to death, (i.e. Romeo's tone on The Odyssey) they sound just as nasty and driven as a good tube amp.

It's all about the amp models that you have available to you at the moment. If you only play a Spider 2 and then go around trash talking Line 6 as a whole, then maybe you haven't actually seen a Vetta being used to its fullest.
Also, I saw someone bashed the Spider 2 and then recommended the Pod. The Vetta is pretty much the Pod, but to the billionth power.

==EDIT==

You know what? Screw the budget. Bucketbanger, just get a real Engl Fireball from Europe. :lol:

But it would be worth it. You know why? You know who has an Engl Fireball head? Odin. That's who.