Amp sim or real amp? Before you flame please read :x

I mix in an untreated room with the amps and everything right next to my monitors. LITERALLY. I think I get good mixes. Not as great some guys like Jeff, Erms, Jarkko or Lasse, but good enough for being as new as I am to this genre of music.

You are overthinking things. Just get what you need to get and start recording. You need to learn to crawl before you walk. So taking baby steps into this is the best way to go. Get as good a mix as you can with an untreated room. Then once you treat you room your job will be easier.

Here is photo proof of my setup:
IMAG0080.jpg

Mesa 2x12 and a Marshall on the bottom right. Those are RIGHT next to my monitors, and I still get mixes that sound like:
www.jasoncohenitservices.com/Grotesque_Test.mp3

Now of course thats not an AMAZING mix. But the guitar tone is just a single 57 on the 5150 with the marshall cab. I did it using headphones with the amps volume on 2

Haha and I thought I was mixing close to my amp. Thats awesome, The link you posted doesn't work for me but I just lurked one of your old rmts and it was pretty damn good so I think you sold me on the whole real amp vs sim. I still wanna hear the link you just posted though

That was fucking awesome dude, you definitely have me sold now I just have to pick a head and hope I can get a good sound out of my 1960a from what I read apparently v30's are the way to go but I've got the one with 75's. :/ Do you have anything you've recorded with the burgera? I heard your a,b,c comparison of the 5150 and the krank and the krank sounded pretty killer as well. I've never played guitar, I'm a drummer myself so all this is pretty new to me.

I mix in an untreated room with the amps and everything right next to my monitors. LITERALLY. I think I get good mixes. Not as great some guys like Jeff, Erms, Jarkko or Lasse, but good enough for being as new as I am to this genre of music.

You are overthinking things. Just get what you need to get and start recording. You need to learn to crawl before you walk. So taking baby steps into this is the best way to go. Get as good a mix as you can with an untreated room. Then once you treat you room your job will be easier.

Here is photo proof of my setup:
IMAG0080.jpg

Mesa 2x12 and a Marshall on the bottom right. Those are RIGHT next to my monitors, and I still get mixes that sound like:
www.jasoncohenitservices.com/Grotesque_Test.mp3

Now of course thats not an AMAZING mix. But the guitar tone is just a single 57 on the 5150 with the marshall cab. I did it using headphones with the amps volume on 2

I have the same desk and shelf.... just missing the amps :lol:

Sorry to hi-jack this thread.

If the cab+mic simulation is where everything falls short, and an amp sim into a real cab+mic is a much bigger improvement, would playing a POD with cab turned off, through a real cabinet mic'ed up produce better results? I assume a power amp would be needed to drive the 'real' cabinet. This may be a cheaper and quieter solution for us bedroom recorders.