Amps that changed the sound of rock/metal.....

Is that what he uses? I've always wondered what he uses. I'm a huge fan of Kamelot, but I absolutely hate his tone...especially on Ghost Opera.

Yeah, on the special features for the "One Cold Winter's Night" DVD, he gives a brief gear tour and states that amp as his mainstay. I dunno, I think it sounds pretty damn good for an all-SS amp, honestly - the opening riff on "Rule the World" for example has a great crunch, but I can definitely tell it's not the real deal. :)

I'm gonna piss everywhere and say Fender Bassman.

Well, Marshall started off making Bassman clones. IIRC, the JTM 45 is just a KT66-loaded Bassman with a couple extra inputs. And considering where that led, I think you have a good candidate for "most influential amp" there.

Yeah, on the special features for the "One Cold Winter's Night" DVD, he gives a brief gear tour and states that amp as his mainstay. I dunno, I think it sounds pretty damn good for an all-SS amp, honestly - the opening riff on "Rule the World" for example has a great crunch, but I can definitely tell it's not the real deal. :)

Hmm...now you've got me curious. I never watched the extras on the DVD. Time to fire up the DVD player. :) And don't get me wrong, I like the songs a lot ("Rule the World" is a great opener), I'm just not really a fan of his sound.

Sorry to get OT.

DOD Death Metal! :lol:

Seriously, though, a big part of the Slaughter of the Soul guitar tone was Boss Metal Zone. So I guess you could maybe consider that influential...

The humble 30 watt Gorilla. The "Line six of the 80's" Just about everyone I ever played with started out on one of these:

gb30.jpg

Of course, I had to get the 85 watt model & light mine on fire.... :lol:

Ah yes...the good old Gorilla. :) Well, if you want to talk about our starters amps, come on Oz...how many of us...especially us old timers started out on a Peavey Backstage or Peavey Bandit? :D

i think axeman had the best point. i think the intentions of the original post were not what made people turn their heads but what was a revolutionary sound. kind of like what evh and hendrix were to guitar playing. like sure there are players that may be technically better but breakthrough and revolutionary points count more than "good" points. awkward explanation but i hope you guys get the point. all these amps kranks etc. etc. were built on the merits of the DR 5150s etc. etc...