I need your help, dudes!

Wavebreaker

Apollo Rises!!!!
Jul 28, 2003
Montreal, Quebec
Visit site
I'm looking for THE amp for myself, I use LTD H-207 with EMG 707's and other 7-strings with Seymours, and I play technical metal.

Here's the problem: I'm fairly convinced that I want a Dual or Triple Rectifier 3-channel (I need the versatility of at least 3 channels) but I've heard some heavy bashing of these later models on this board... I've tried the tripple channel models and I loved the way they sounded and responded (at higher levels... low levels sound pretty horrible). Very tight, clear, HEAVY sound.

What is it about the older 2-channel models that is better? What is it that sucks about the new ones?

Most of you also seem to prefer 5150's these days (mark 1). I have tried a few (as well as mark 2) and I just can't stand the distortion on these things, it sounds like a distortion pedal (all transistor-like); way too much upeer end noise/fizziness.
Either way, the clean don't cut it and there are only two channels... so how does the Tripple X compare?

Next there is the question of ENGL and VHT amps... The music stores in Montreal don't carry these, so I have no opportunity to try them out. How do they compare to the Mesa's (which come the closest to yielding the sound I'm looking for, i.e. something in the range of Loomis's sound on Dead Heart In A Dead World).

And finally... TSL 100 anyone? The other guitarist in my band just bought one and I wasn't very impressed (he will be getting the Voodoo mod soon, though...). I'm curious how the Rectifier (if that's what I get) would mesh with the Marshall; would the Mesa get in the way of the Marshall or is it possible to blend well, let's say in a jam room where there is no mic'ing or mixing to compensate.

I will be getting the Voodoo Amps mod no matter what amp I'm getting, but I really need your advice. I'm strongly leaning toward the newer Mesa Rectifiers (I've also read great reviews about them on Harmony Central...) but I'm concerned by your remarks about these amps...

Thanks for anyone that can help light my way :headbang:

Just to give you another idea... thought about a rack system? How many guitar sounds do you need? If you need multiple sounds it might be easier to get a preamp and a midi controller so you can change between tones with different fx settings just with the push of a button.

Cooperman said:
Just to give you another idea... thought about a rack system? How many guitar sounds do you need? If you need multiple sounds it might be easier to get a preamp and a midi controller so you can change between tones with different fx settings just with the push of a button.

I've been using a Flexton II HD until now mostly because of it's versatility...
At one point I was considering either a Mesa Triaxis or Line 6 Pod xt Pro into a Mesa Simul-class 2:90 (or something like that), but most people I sopke to advised against that, saying that I wouldn't get quite the crushing tone I'm looking for.

What would you suggest in terms of rack gear?

Wavebreaker said:
At one point I was considering either a Mesa Triaxis or Line 6 Pod xt Pro into a Mesa Simul-class 2:90 (or something like that), but most people I sopke to advised against that, saying that I wouldn't get quite the crushing tone I'm looking for.

Don't underestimate the PODxt.... I have had awesome results with it. Check it out. http://www.hxcmp3.com/bands/13325/

Its not just the amp though, you're hearing a boogie rectifier through a standard Marshall 1960 cab with tube screamer and EMGs on Dead Heart. Something like an 800 is going to give you less fizz, but I find you can dial the tone into these amps pretty easily.

Andy Sneap said:
Its not just the amp though, you're hearing a boogie rectifier through a standard Marshall 1960 cab with tube screamer and EMGs on Dead Heart. Something like an 800 is going to give you less fizz, but I find you can dial the tone into these amps pretty easily.

Well, I am using EMG 707's ( I assume that's what Sir Loomis has in his 7-strings) and a Line 6 cab I loaded with Custom Celestion 90's. I'll be adding either a Marshall or Mesa cab with Vintage 30's to balance out the tone...

I think I asked in another thread though... do you use the tube screamer on the rhythm sound? Someone on another board said that's what you did so I wanted to ask you personally...
If so, is that something that could be done live and yield good results?
What Does the tube screamer do to the rhythm sound? I assume it "focuses" the sound?
And what kind of tube screamers do you folks use? Ibanez or other? Pedal or rackmount?

Geez, thanks for your help dudes

Wavebreaker said:

I decided to go with a POD as a preamp in my guitar rig simply because of its versatility. It may not have as much of a crushing tone as a Rectifier or 5150 but I'm pretty happy with it's performance on stage. In all reality your sound is gonna be butchered by the sound guy anyway... but all in all it's a lot more flexible and simple to use (once setup).

If you want a recording amp though you might wanna look at something that does have the crushing tone you're after. My budget doesn't allow me this luxury at the moment and a live rig was more important to me at the time. You just gotta try stuff out and see what you like.