An Adam D. mixing: Before and after(clips)

Status
Not open for further replies.

brianhood

No Care Ever
My bands album was mixed by adam D early last year, and i recently found the old emails we exchanged with different mixes and what have you. I thought i would share it with you guys in case any of you are curious as to what Adam D does to his mixes.

www.soundclick.com/456recordings

Details:

this was tracked with this forums very own "joeymusicguy" at Foundation Recordings in Connersville, IN. Keep in mind when you hear the unmixed stuff that joey did absolutely nothing as far as post processing goes, so its not much of a representation of what he can do(check out www.myspace.com/foundationrecording for what he can do).

I just uploaded three different versions of two songs. One is completely unmixed, one is the first mix adam sent us, and the third is the final (unmastered) mix we ended up with after several email exchanges and eq changes and whatever else.
The guitars were reamped with "The ol' standby...an old 5150 through a mesa cab with vintage 30s" according to adam.

Thoughts anyone? I personally think now days joey could have provided us with a better mix, but that's just my personal opinion.

oh, and a funny quote from adam. When i asked him what his secret for good pinch harmonics was, his reply was "Dude, you just gotta smack it and shake it like it owes you money!!!"

Great post..
I'll have a listen now!

Edit one; I really like the initial track, and can see why you chose Adam D for the job. I can't wait to hear what he'll do with it.

So the first track has no processing?

Edit two;
Wow.. Adam's tidied this track up and made it what I thought it could be. Not really my thing, but it's definitely in a 'better' direction for the style.

So what was replaced / triggered then? (first, and then Adam's mix)

Hmmm.... I actually like the guitar tone in the originals better.... I mean they could use some EQ, but other than that, the general sound of them is just better than what Adam did with the reamping IMO

Hmmm.... I actually like the guitar tone in the originals better....

I agree, but stylistically I think Adam's work a little better. I'm listening on crappy headphones atm though, but they so sound more like that "style"s tone.

The initial unmixed versions sound good allready, dry.. yes offcourse, but when material comes in like that you can only fold you hands together and be thankfull that allready sounds good.
That being said, i think the final mix sounds great, especially those drums and vocals.

Thanks for this thread btw, this is great A/B material!

Great post..
I'll have a listen now!

Edit one; I really like the initial track, and can see why you chose Adam D for the job. I can't wait to hear what he'll do with it.

So the first track has no processing?

Edit two;
Wow.. Adam's tidied this track up and made it what I thought it could be. Not really my thing, but it's definitely in a 'better' direction for the style.

So what was replaced / triggered then? (first, and then Adam's mix)

Drums are actually DFHS(joey use to do programmed drums for most of his metal stuff, though not quite as much anymore i think.)
Adam replaced the snare and kick, but left the toms i believe.

And if anyone was wondering, the unmixed version guitar was pod xt pro using the soldano knockoff model.

The mix isn't my favorite type of mix but it works very well for this music. I really like the music though for some reason. It sounds a lot like Darkest Hour at times. Pretty cool!!

You sure there is no post processing in the unmixed version?

The vocals sound pretty compressed and that kick is pretty beefy and drums sound kinda compressed as well. I mean i could be wrong but my dry tracks never sound this good!

Thanks a ton for posting this as its a really cool thing to hear.....

Drums are actually DFHS(joey use to do programmed drums for most of his metal stuff, though not quite as much anymore i think.)
Adam replaced the snare and kick, but left the toms i believe.

And if anyone was wondering, the unmixed version guitar was pod xt pro using the soldano knockoff model.

I originally posted about the kick and snare sounding sampled.. the toms and OHs I didn't actually pick up on them being DFHS.

I guess that's what listening to MBP speakers will do for you!

yeah i never was really that happy with the mix(especially for how much we paid him for it). I think there was an issue with the DI tracks we sent him though. He said they were too bassy, so it made the guitars muddy...hence the muddy guitars.
who knows...could have just been an excuse so he didnt have to re-reamp everything

umm two questions

how did you get Adam D. to mix for you?

and, if you don't mind answering, how much did it run you?

edit: by the way, his mixes sound great to me, I am a fan.

Status
Not open for further replies.