An idea for Heavy Metal Thunder part II

mmurnau

May 22, 2003
Nottingham, UK
Visit site
From what I understand the idea for Heavy Metal Thunder was to re-record the classic old songs with a modern production, and to show that the band can still play them as well as ever (if not better than ever) despite the ravages of time and line-up changes.

Anyhoo, it strikes me that the songs that REALLY need re-recording and would benefit the most from better production are the later-80s songs, which would benefit from having less synths and vocal harmonies and better produced drumming rather than the "school disco" sound that many of them have (especially on Destiny). I reckon HMT was well-received on here, so what would people reckon to an HMT part II and what songs would you put on it?

Tracks to be drawn from Crusader (apart from the title track, which btw I thought was one of the most improved tracks on HMT) through to Destiny. 11 or 12 tracks would seem about right.

Here's my two-penneth, imagine these ongs without synths, with some double-bass drumming and with some harmonised choruses replaced with the patented "Biff battle-cry!":

1. Rock n Roll Gypsy
2. Rock the Nations
3. Battle Cry
4. Ride Like the Wind
5. Devil Rides Out
6. Broken Heroes
7. Set Me Free
8. Red Alert
9. Everybody Up
10. Jericho Siren
11. SOS
12. Northern Lady

It's obviously much too late to have this prepared as a bonus disc for the next album (such as most of HMT first appeared as Killing Ground disc 2) but I'd be more than happy to pay for this as a separate album again as for HMT.

Who knows, we could even have a tour based on this where some of these old classics, which are often missed, could be played.

I love HMT. The songs are great to begin with and with the new fresh production and sound they are just brilliant. It's actually my favourite Saxon album (and I have them all).

So this is an interesting idea.

I would pick:

Just Let Me Rock
Rock City
Run For Your Lives
Rockin' Again
Broken Heroes
Everybody Up
Rock The Nations
Battle Cry
We Came Here To Rock
Northern Lady
Song For Emma
Red Alert

This is a great idea! I couldn't agree more! Some songs would sound so much better without that 'Eighties' sound! 'Destiny' really suffered with this affliction, but it also had some really weak tracks on it. It was the band's lowest point, in my personal opinion!
Anyhoo - my choice for HMT 2:

Ride Like The Wind
Rock The Nations
Rock 'n Roll Gypsy
Rockin' Again
Northern Lady
Sailing To America
Ain't No Angel
Red Line
Back On The Streets Again
The Devil Rides Out

As for 'Run For Your Lives' - this is a favourite of mine! I also think that it is one of the few tracks on 'Crusader' that was not dated by the production. Overall, it is a pretty natural sound, and it would be great to hear the band play it live! Brilliant riff and great percussion! To me, the soing kind of sticks out from the others on the 'Crusader album'.