An idea to discuss. It is about reviews.

Sonm

Curse You All Men...
Aug 14, 2002
Well, somehow I am a scientist. And I am used to one thing. If one whould publish a scientific article in a journal it has to be reviewed by some referees before. Of course all the referees are professionals and know what they say. Shouldn't it be the same way for CDs? I realize the circle of customers to be much broader in comarison to scince but after all if a doom band have to be reviewed by some doom-hater... what kind of objectivity can we find in what we read? Perhaps a real professional's review whould be better?

Unfortunately, music's subjectivity means that no formula or equation can be made. There is no "right" or "wrong", just different opinions. No science involved!

The only way around it is to get to know which writers most closely fit your own personal tastes and try and check out what they recommend. That's what I do anyway.

Running a label it's tough for me not to respond to (bad) reviews sometimes. The idea of my label is to put things out that I personally would listen to myself. When a band on the label gets a bad review I take it very personally - it's like the guy writing it is saying my taste is shitty.. What is even worse is when the guy writing the review has no clue about what they are writing, or you know that they haven't listened properly.

Back in the Candlelight days I had been known to phone journalists to threaten them, or take 'em off the promo list altogther, but I guess I've mellowed with age :)

Lee

Interesting!
Same here... I take everything very personal. And I just hate when some moron says we are gays and bla-bla. Yes we have different way of looking at things but I'd never say to a person - what you've made is crap and shit. Your hands grow from your bottom and a frog can fly better than you write your music. Personally I hate so called "true"-morons who can not see beyond their nose and still dwell in Dark Throne's age. Progressless they lack any evolution what finnaly causes a taste cancer. But do I really care about what they say about us?
Aparently I do if I made this topic....
Moronards...