Analysing Opeth Songs

Vega Skater

Oct 22, 2007
Sydney
I just listened to Deliverance (song) separately from the album and it reminded me of a time when I didn't own the album but knew the song and thought it was pretty damn spectacular. I guess the point I'm trying to make is that over time I've learnt how to play certain songs and started to analyse sections etc etc. There are some songs for which I have increased respect after learning them such as the opening chords in The Drapery Falls, but there are also songs, when I listen to them I can see the finger movements on the fretboard and it annoys me to the point where I avoid learning certain songs that I love. I was just wondering if people are as analytical as I am as time goes on, whether learning the songs has enhanced them or killed them to an extent. Just an open thread for ideas to circulate..

Cheers

I also see the fingers moving on the fretboard everytime i hear a song i know how to play. Never really annoyed me, just made me want to play the guitar. Also learning the songs did increase my respect for opeth (and other bands) playing abilities and song writing

I know what you're saying. It can take away from the magic, to be sure. Like when you realize a movie is taking place on a set or something. I sometimes don't want to think about the mechanics of my art, and simply experience it. Not all the time. But, I know what you're talking about.

Check the thread I've made, on page 2.
It's not only to move the fingers, to be analytical it's about to understand what's happening with the chords, the melody, the rhythm.

That happened to me with Iced Earth's Question of Heaven a while back. I think I was expecting to orgasm everytime I played it, and when it didn't happen I felt very dissapointed.

Dear god, I don't know how they keep it fresh. I know that Zep took to playing stairway reggae style when rehearsing they got so sick of it.

I can't grasp onto this problem you guys are talking about. When I hear any song I automatically picture how to play it on guitar, regardless of whether I knew how to play it previously or not. Do you guys not aswell, and how does this take away from the music? I thought this to be merely percieving it. If you don't understand the music, I don't know how you can enjoy it more...

EDIT: I guess I can kind of picture what you guys are saying, based on the ignorance is bliss theory.. but if I hear an Opeth song and see the finger movements then I pick up my guitar and start playing along with it!

I guess with Opeth, the beauty doesn't lie with how hard the music is to play, but rather how in the hell they came up with such ingenuity in their songwriting. Sure when I first learn how to play a song (Face of Melinda is a perfect example) I am blown away. I guess as time goes on I take it for granted forgetting that the music was written from nothing (excluding influences) when I should be remembering, 'hey see that chord you used there while mucking with your guitar, you first heard that technique in Advent, and don't you ever forget that'.

Cool topic.

I have always wondered this and I've discussed it many times with people. The main question: Do musicians enjoy music more or less then someone who doesn't play but only listens? I too catch myself picking apart every song I hear. Does this take away from the enjoyment of music or does it add to it?

I do think musicians listen and study music more then then most listeners (not always). Does that mean it sounds different to us? I guess we could never really know for sure. Still I like to think that my knowledge of guitar helps me enjoy the music more. It definentally makes me appreciate it more I can tell you that with certainty.

I do make a point not to learn songs that I truly love. Years ago I loved the song "Dialogue with the Stars" by In Flames. I decided to learn it and make a recording of my own version. While the recording turned out great (probably one of my best recordings), the 100's of times I practiced every part of every guitar track in that song pretty well killed the song for me.

This is something I often think about.

I try to drum, sing and sometimes play guitar along with a lot of the music I listen to. As a drummer, I find myself constantly picking apart songs, and tapping along with the music. Sometimes it's really a lot of fun, but I wonder -- from time to time -- whether or not I would like the music more if I didn't play the drums.

I remember being a huge Metallica fan as a 15-year-old, and I did not play the drums at the time. When I think back, I was a lot more focused on the vocals and guitars, not paying any attention at all to the bass and drums.

This is one of those things that really make you wonder. Being a musician definitely has a positive effect on all music, especially appreciating genius bands like Opeth, but it also might distract from the "total" experience of the music.

I remember being a huge Metallica fan as a 15-year-old, and I did not play the drums at the time. When I think back, I was a lot more focused on the vocals and guitars, not paying any attention at all to the bass and drums.

Playing guitar really killed Kirk Hammet for me. I used to adore him. Then I learned how to play.

^ i know how you feel, as soon as i learnt my first kirk hammet solo i began to think 'wow... he isnt really all that spectacular. Oh look another pentatonic scale, how fun'

Well, you know, it's like developing a palate. If you learn what makes expensive wines worth all that money, and you can actually taste it, it can be tough to go back to the old wine in a box. Kirk is wine in a box.

^ i know how you feel, as soon as i learnt my first kirk hammet solo i began to think 'wow... he isnt really all that spectacular. Oh look another pentatonic scale, how fun'

Haha, actually I don't really have that much problem with the pentatonic scale part (Gilmour relies on that heavily, too, if I remember correctly). It's the fucking wah pedal. I mean, he doesn't even have to play any more. all he has to do is move his leg. Real shame...

To be honest i hang around the pentatonic scale a lot too, as do a lot of people, its just he doesnt tend to do anything really different to what he has already done which dissapointed me a bit. And i absolutely agree about the wah pedal, WAY overused, wonder what he would do if it broke down mid set and he didnt have a backup...