Anathema? King Diamond? Porcupine Tree?

opeth9999

Dec 23, 2001
Muskegon, MI
Visit site
I want to what people think of all of these bands: Anathema,King Diamond,and Porcupine Tree. I am asking this because these are some bands that I think are the most under rated by people.

Porcupine Tree are great! Some friends tell me that they are too much pop. But listen to shesmovedon and such. So damn depressive. Steve Wilson is great.

And btw. Four Chords That Made A Million, am I the only one that takes that song as ironi to the pop-industry?

I got into Porcupine Tree last year, and I have Mikael to thank for that (Opeth intervies). Awesome band!! Lightbulb Sun has spent quite a bit of time in the old cd player since I bought it.

I just got into Anathema A WEEK AGO! There was a write up on them in a recent issue of Terrorizer and it sparked my interest enough to buy A Fine Day to Exit and I absolutely fucking love that album. I've been walking around work everyday with those songs in my head.

Kind Diamond - No thanks. My best friend in high school worshiped those guys but I never could get past his vocals. If he'd just put out an instrumental album without the vocals I'd probably get into it.

Damage Confusion Inertia

I listen to Anathema's newer stuff and didn't care to much for the older releases.
I'll listen to Porcupine Tree's older stuff at home to relax and their newer stuff Stupid dreams and Lightbulb Sun at work because we have a community stereo.

I haven't heard any King Diamond in YEARS. Maybe I should take out my turn table and see if I like them now.

I am not too interested in King Diamond and I don't have any Porcupine Tree yet, but I am really getting into Anathema thanks to Opeth. I have their last 3, just got Judgement, but I would say my fav is A Fine Day to Exit, esp the title track and Temporary Peace, great Radiohead / Pink Floyd like music. I can't understand why this stuff has not caught on, while Radiohead continues to make strange music, not that I don't like it.

yayayayaya :D .....i'm so fucken into porcupine tree right now ...it's been all i've been listening to these past few days, i also have mikael to thank for that ....

anathema - awesome stuff . love them

king diamond - cool guy, he's a metal legend and i like his music .....however his videos are horrific .....and i think he should lose the funny make up .....but that's just me....

i'm fairly new to anathema, i've heard their older stuff, but i just purchased judgement not to long ago. can't say i was to impressed, is it just me? or does it take time to appreciate it?

Anathema - just about my absolute favorite band!!! would even choose over Opeth

King Diamond - great...when I am in the mood

Porcupine Tree - just dl some songs last night actually and about to check it out

Later Anathema albums are profound. "Judgement" is my all-time #1.

Porcupine Tree I do actually like - "Lightbulb Sun" and "Recordings" are their strongest; the other albums have a varying share of weaker songs, and their "space-rock" moments like "Voyage 34" are far from the best space-rock out there.

I have to re-listen to King Diamond now that I've come to like Mercyful Fate.

D Mullholand

Anathema has guided me to sleep many nights (not a bad thing), they are one of my favorites.

Anathema are great! Their last three albums are among my all time favorites!

I think I saw King Diamond live at the Dynamo festival once (might have been Mercyful Fate though). Nice microphone :)

Anathema "Judgement" is a rock album that could've been a smash hit if it had the right publicity, similar to Pink Floyd in that it's not metal but it rocks harder than British alternative bands, to me it has a lot of the same feeling as the post-Anneke Gathering.

I have the first two Porcupine Tree and plan on getting more, if not all their stuff. It's pure space rock, rocking songs that trail off into noodly ambient passages and then come back to the structured song.

The thing with both of these bands is that it seems to be music that I can't listen to too much or I get to know it too well and will be sick of it. In other words, they're music is very melodic and catchy.

One band that's definitely worth checking out if you like those two is the Swedish band Landberk. Their album "Indian Summer" is as great a rock album as "Judgement". Well worth finding. Mikael listed this album on a playlist that was posted on opeth.com a few years ago.

One thing I really cant stand is when people mock King Diamonds vocals that has twice with two of my friends they say stuff like "He sounds like a Girl" or "He's been kicked in the balls to many times" (I laughed at that one because it sounds so stupid when people say those things, Me and my friends that like King Diamond always say sarcastic things like that) or "King Diamond more like Queen Diamond" those are just some things I have heard people say about King.

Porcupine Tree is one of my favorite bands next to Opeth. I have Signify, Stupid Dream, and Lightbulb Sun. I could not say which one is my favorite. I still have to get more thou.

Anathema I had Eternity for quite a while and I thought it was ok and I never thought of listening to there newer stuff intill just 2 months ago and I love there new stuff I just bought Alternative 4 about 3 weeks agoand it is now one of my favorite cd's of all time. I can't wait to get A fine Day to Exit and Judgement.