Anathema: resonance 1 & 2

Ken Lyall

Mar 31, 2006
Aberfeldy, Perthshire, SCOTLAND
I know some of you like anathema. I have the last few albums, but came across resonance, just heard a 30 sec snippet. Sounds comletely diferent to their usual stuff. Far heavier, growling etc....
Any thoughts on the resonance albulms.Thank you in advance for your indulgence :)

well, they are compilation albums. if you have the last few albums only, instead of getting the compilation discs you should instead get eternity and alternative 4 first. those are the real classics. the silent enigma is good too, but i would consider getting it after these two.

well i guess the snippet was probably from serenades (with the crestfallen ep) or the silent enigma, then. i think they didn't put anything from pentecost iii on these. the first album, serenades is doom/death with heavy growls, the silent enigma a little less so. songs are much more effective on the silent enigma, i think. but if you don't have eternity, that is a must. not as heavy as these two in terms of sound perhaps, but heavier on emotion.

i find it funny though, that "J'ai Fait Une Promesse" makes its way onto resonance 1, even though it appeared on Serenades. love that song.

it depends on what youre after really. i personally reccomend either the silent enigma(you could go for serenades instead...but i dont like the growls in anathema at all), eternity, or a fine day to exit. thats a pretty good set for their progression, i suppose.

Judgement was my first experience of anathema, and to be fair, I like it the best out of
Alternative 4, a fine day to exit and a natural disaster.
derbeder stated that eternity is a good one. I will be getting this as soon as I get around to it.

Ken , they used to be a Doom Metal band. For ex. Eternity , silent enigma. More growling stuff. They turned to be a alternative band :D , but latest albums are better I think.

And they were here in Turkey-Ankara last week :D Lol they played 27 songs. Awesome gig.

Necromantic-Hiko said:
it depends on what youre after really. i personally reccomend either the silent enigma(you could go for serenades instead...but i dont like the growls in anathema at all), eternity, or a fine day to exit. thats a pretty good set for their progression, i suppose.
Myself, I just LOVE the growls on the first albums... So full of emotion... I'm not so much into their newer stuff though. Obviously Serenades and Pentecost III are my favourite albums (and Crestfallen if you count EP:s as well).

*singing* They Die ... (they will always die) :cry:

Hopefully not :D But we might accept Opeth have never been the mainstream and there are many Opeth influenced bands around. They might want to change.

Otherwise they will change for sure. I think.

Ken Lyall said:
Judgement was my first experience of anathema, and to be fair, I like it the best out of
Alternative 4, a fine day to exit and a natural disaster.
derbeder stated that eternity is a good one. I will be getting this as soon as I get around to it.

I took the path of hearing AFDTE first, then working my way backwards, and found that Judgment is easily their best album - watch out for the earlier albums, because the vocals in all honesty are pretty awful. I laughed the first time i heard The Silent Enigma.

With regards Resonance (havn't heard Res 2), it suffers the fate of many compilations cd i feel; the songs just don't really blend together that well outside of their respective albums. If you must buy every album of theirs, sure, by all means get it. There are some very decent songs on it...but go for the proper albums first.

A natural disaster and Judgement are my favs......and the song...."ARE U THERE"".......once I had it on repeat for complete 8 hours at work......still wast bored......those guys are good songwriters...nbothign too comoplex....i kno wthier earlier stuff is rather heavier.....liek crestfallen and all...but I think i like thier later more mellower sound alot more...!!!....with natural disaster and judgemetn u cant go wrong...!!..........PEAC EOUT

a great band. Eternity and The Silent Enigma are my faves. Pentecost III is an overlooked gem too. didn't like AFDTE that much...