anathema truly one of the greats

The111

New Metal Member
Feb 9, 2004
Orlando, FL, USA
I found Anathema a few months ago and made a post on this board that I thought they were pretty good. Since then, I have listened to them A LOT and come to the conclusion they are a lot more than pretty good.

Normally, I don't care about how well known a band is. I listen to a lot of stuff that is pretty unknown to most people, and that's fine. Some of it even deserves to be - I'll admit it's "niche music". And some of my "favorite" bands I would admit are not epic "greats" that deserve to go down in music history - I just like them.

But Anathema does not belong in a niche. True, they have a specific style, but they are also epic, sweeping, and deserve to go down in music history. They have a sound that would appeal to a lot of people, even in the semi-mainstream. I mean, I am seriously starting to consider them on the same level as Floyd, Gabriel, Radiohead - obviously the same bands that they get rightfully compared to, but what I'm saying is they deserve just as much respect on just as large a level. I seriously think they are just as good (and "accessible" to the mainstream) as Radiohead. So why aren't they nearly as well known? I can only conclude it has to do with marketing. Maybe they don't care about being well known, and I can respect that. But my wish for them to be well-known is not for THEIR benefit - it is for the benefit of all the potential fans out there who I know would love their music.

Where am I headed with this post? Dunno. But I wanted to vent. Anathema is quickly working its way to the top of my list of "great bands", and that's not an easy thing to do - even if I like the music a lot. This is a band I will listen to in 10 years, which I can't say about a lot of what I'm listening to, even the stuff I'm passionate about. And I think that's the best measure of how great a band is - the test of time.

congratulations on your discovery and the points you've just made. you are very right saying anathema can be accessible to the mainstream. you might as well want to check out "will anathema make it big" thread for some forum members' opinions on some of the points you've raised here.

for some reason they remain underground, if you ask me i like it the way it is. i respect that you feel this way though. definitely there are countless potential fans out there. i believe i've created a bunch of them myself. and i'm proud.

Andy_2003 said:
I would like them to become very famous.
.... with staying true to themselves and there fans (as i believe they do now), doing what they want, not pleasing anyone, just doing their thing, playing small acoustic concerts, in exchange with big concert halls, spending their aftershow together with fans etc...... would be great indeed......i'm not sure andy.

Morpheus said:
.... with staying true to themselves and there fans (as i believe they do now), doing what they want, not pleasing anyone, just doing their thing, playing small acoustic concerts, in exchange with big concert halls, spending their aftershow together with fans etc...... would be great indeed......i'm not sure andy.
me neither :erk:

I deffo Agree with you "The111", what you posted is very true and honest to say the least. I have been listening to Anathema for a long time now, and I am sure alot of people around here have been too. But what I wanted to add, is that, Anathema have had a great impact on my life, so their music for me is not just a good sound that deserves to be known, it means something, the lyrics just burst into you, and well for me, listening to it has been helpfull during sad, morose, and happy, joyfull times. So they should be known better, not by changing how they sound, but just by doing what they like, and enjoy, and touching a larger amount of people and fans.
cheers mates.

I really wonder what the guys themselves think about this "making it big" concept... Surely they'll probably say "we don't care about that anymore" but I wonder if they really want (deep down inside) to go mainstream, sell millions of albums, earn thousands of dollars and have fans all around the world.. Are there times Danny or Vinnie close their eyes and just for a second dream about that ?! Are there times just for a moment they think about "how could it be if they made it that big ?!"