Will Anathema make it big?

Russell

__
Jul 15, 2001
The starry attic
www.russellgarwood.co.uk
We all know they blatantly deserve to be millionaires, but do u think they will? ATM I don't see what's stopping them. Their music is accesible, like-able, and extremely well written, so do u think AFDTE will be their breakthrough album? Why do u thjink they aren't hugely popular already? The metal background, Image etc? Lack of advertising? And finally, how would you feel about it if they did become hugely successfull? I, for one, would like this to happen as I think they deserve a lot more recognition than they get at times...

Anathema deserves to get more attention and I wouldn't mind if they would make it big. Afterall, they have been working hard and gone through lots of shit but never have the quit.

I believe, that if AFDTE does not break through, then they never will. It is an accessible album and will definetely appeal on many different kinds of fans (and not just metal fans) but to really make it big, well they never will. They deserve it but they write too honest and emotional music to appeal on mass market. But I do not mind about that at all. If they would just get a more deserved attention and success (and also a bit more cash since they are poor as rats believe it or not) as well as some cash.

I do not know exact sales figures (they are damn hard to get even if asked from the labels or bands) but I guess Judgement sold roughly 100 000 copies which isn't really much at all. This album might double that numver easily but not much more.

Originally posted by mega
Anathema deserves to get more attention and I wouldn't mind if they would make it big. Afterall, they have been working hard and gone through lots of shit but never have the quit

Yeah, I think we owe them a lot. They obviously love the music! I like integrity in a band :)

I believe, that if AFDTE does not break through, then they never will. It is an accessible album and will definetely appeal on many different kinds of fans (and not just metal fans) but to really make it big, well they never will. They deserve it but they write too honest and emotional music to appeal on mass market. But I do not mind about that at all. If they would just get a more deserved attention and success (and also a bit more cash since they are poor as rats believe it or not) as well as some cash

I don't know, a few bands write emotional music, and still manage to be relatively mainstream. It would be nice if they were at least a lot more popular, if not mainstream yeah, I think they deserve to be, easily

I've read quite a bit about the album in more mainstream magazines, so hopefully they will sell more than 200,000

And ur right Tota, genius does have a very small market :bah:

Originally posted by mega
I do not know exact sales figures (they are damn hard to get even if asked from the labels or bands) but I guess Judgement sold roughly 100 000 copies which isn't really much at all. This album might double that numver easily but not much more.

For a rock band on an independant label, 100,000 copies is a lot. If they were on a major and a nu-metal band, that's when the numbers start going up.

I can't see the band really taking off in the UK, it's very hard for UK rock acts to perform really well in the current market, regardless of quality:( I could be wrong - I hope so...

For a rock band on an independant label, 100,000 copies is a lot. If they were on a major and a nu-metal band, that's when the numbers start going up.

Well 100000 might be an over-estimation really as the truth might be closer to 60000-70000...

I can't see the band really taking off in the UK, it's very hard for UK rock acts to perform really well in the current market, regardless of quality I could be wrong - I hope so...

That's impression I have got as well and I find it quite weird since finnish heavy metal is doing quite well in here in Finland...

I don't believe Anathema will become really massive, like MTV-massive. The reasons ? Here are some (already mentioned above) :
1. The extreme metal background - a terra incognita for the mainstream public.
2. The music is relatively derivative, otherwise they would've become a cult band respected by mainstream criticants.
3. Non-major label status.

There are probably other reasons, I need more time to think...
But do we really need them to become huge ? I hope Danny and company won't revert to businessman approach to music, like late Gilmour Floyd or Metallica. The chances of pop-success are very slim, and it's not worth the risk of compromising their artistic integrity. Sure, the last couple of records are more or less pop, but then what is pop ? Everything after the Beatles ?

D Mullholand
--------------------------------------
NP: Pink Floyd - Piper at the Gates of Dawn

I know someone who was in a band who put out a record on Music For Nations a few years back, despite some good reviews and some fairly high profile tours, they did not sell well, don't know the numbers but it was not many.

But AFDTE has had some very good reviews, and even if it won't appear to the Limp Bizkit fans, it might appeal to some uK people. Let's hope so and the record sells well.

Originally posted by D Mullholand

2. The music is relatively derivative, otherwise they would've become a cult band respected by mainstream criticants.

As if bands that are huge today and making millions aren't derivative? I don't think that has anything to do with it.

And another thing, no matter how intelligent or genious your music is, it has relatively little to no link to how well it sells. Promotion/marketing and various other factors unrelated to the music entirely are main factors for how well an album sells..

Anyways, people are always asking the question about various bands in all genres of the metal underground, if they'll make it big, and unfortunately this is always based on the fact that people think a more 'accessible' sound results in more sales, and it actually doesn't. The actual music has so much less to do with sales than people know.. unfortunately.

Originally posted by forlorn soul

As if bands that are huge today and making millions aren't derivative? I don't think that has anything to do with it.

And another thing, no matter how intelligent or genious your music is, it has relatively little to no link to how well it sells. Promotion/marketing and various other factors unrelated to the music entirely are main factors for how well an album sells..

Anyways, people are always asking the question about various bands in all genres of the metal underground, if they'll make it big, and unfortunately this is always based on the fact that people think a more 'accessible' sound results in more sales, and it actually doesn't. The actual music has so much less to do with sales than people know.. unfortunately.

I was not making a generalization that all successful bands are derivative. I'm talking about the really talented bands who've become successful, like Radiohead, for instance. They have at least one entirely original component - Thom Yorke. Anathema are probably my most favourite band, but their individuality is not that bright or clearly defined. I can see them sometimes looking back on their influences, like asking, 'can we do that too ?' But I'm not 100% sure that originality brings instant success, so you may be right. I agree about promotion and about the 'accessible sound' fallacy.

D Mullholand
-----------------------
NP: Shostakovich - Symphony N 7

i think its too much to hope for to see a good band make it big these days, very depressing. looking at it on another side, i like the fact that i can get up close to a great band live, and small venue gigs have a great atmosphere. i think they have deserved a lot more than they are getting and it does make you think. :(

if Anathema were recognised, would you really want Limp Bizkit fans etc. associating themselves with Anathema? theres a big difference between them and for Anathema to become more recognised i suppose they would have to turn into a sort of band that would be liked by a Slipknot fan etc. and i don't want that.

Originally posted by _Transparent_
if Anathema were recognised, would you really want Limp Bizkit fans etc. associating themselves with Anathema? theres a big difference between them and for Anathema to become more recognised i suppose they would have to turn into a sort of band that would be liked by a Slipknot fan etc. and i don't want that.

Agreed.

Originally posted by _Transparent_

Not necessarily. I think Anathema's music ATM is accesible enough to be very popular, and I doubt very much whther the type of people you speak of would listen to Anathema

and I doubt very much whther the type of people you speak of would listen to Anathema

So do I. It is quite unlikely that disciples of Mr. Durst or Slipknot would 'enjoy' self-reflecting or thoughtful lyrics (no longer 'my way on the highway!'), much less a band without a certain 'image'. I mean, Vinnie doesn't seem to like red caps, Danny doesn't dress up like a moron, there's generally no disguise - and they only have one drummer.
In addition, the songs are longer than three minutes, so there easily is more concentration needed to listen to Anathema than a usual nu-metal fan could ever handle. :heh:

So do I. It is quite unlikely that disciples of Mr. Durst or Slipknot would 'enjoy' self-reflecting or thoughtful lyrics (no longer 'my way on the highway!'), much less a band without a certain 'image'. I mean, Vinnie doesn't seem to like red caps, Danny doesn't dress up like a moron, there's generally no disguise - and they only have one drummer.

I do like Slipknot's "Iowa" but don't give a flying fuck about their imago. But then again I do not consider Slipknot to be exactly nu-metal (even it wouldn't make any difference whatever they are called) and I generally dislike nu-metal so...

Paradoxical though it may seem, I'm not sure if I want them to become popular. I just can't imagine hearing them on the radio amid all the pop crap.

And I don't want to hear half of my friends claim that they like Anathema, the very same ones who listen to Jeniffer Lopez stuff.

Brrrr.

Originally posted by goneh
Paradoxical though it may seem, I'm not sure if I want them to become popular. I just can't imagine hearing them on the radio amid all the pop crap.

And I don't want to hear half of my friends claim that they like Anathema, the very same ones who listen to Jeniffer Lopez stuff.

Brrrr.

Yeah, I know just what u mean. Its like if they were popular people may just listen to them for the image, and not for the love of music. People just wouldn't get it and that would piss me off.