Will Anathema make it big?

they should have a word with radiohead, they can tell them how to become famous, I mean look at them, what kind of half bollocked shit did they become famous, never siezes to amaze me, it's all about luckn very obviously, who knows what could happen?

they should have a word with radiohead, they can tell them how to become famous, I mean look at them, what kind of half bollocked shit did they become famous with, never siezes to amaze me, it's all about luck very obviously, who knows what could happen?

well Radiohead became famous with a song, "creep"... and VERY famous with an album "ok computer" Ok computer is IMO a master art-piece (just think of paranoid android) I think that they are famous 'cos they worth it : P even when I dislike Amnesiac and FAIL to the thief. Kid A and Ok computer and awesome

though I don't know all the works of Radiohead, the ones I heard so far are ok (not just ok, they are good, but I need that mood to listen to them). But still I don't like the fact that they are compared to Anathema, as I don't see the point where they are that 'similar'. Okay it's not you who say this, but I hear it more and more. And more ppl liking Radiohead start to like Anathema (and the other way too, but that's not that strange as the band is quite into them as well, than ppl want to see why).
And about this going big, the music they do recently is more tv&radio-friendlier than before, but I wouldn't be surprised if the channels were just prejudiced and didn't want to see something new... Do you know something about the new video's status in this way? (I mean whether some channel is going to play it or not) well, if Pressure was too slow or something to them, than I'm afraid they will say some shit reason again...

The thing with anathema and becoming "big" is that it would cost immense amount of money advertising campaigning shrewd business decisions and "gimmicks". Personally I think its a shame that they arent rolling in money because they deserve to be but mainstream music loses all appeal. And in England if the band name doesnt begin with a the then they dont usually get anywhere and if its not pseudo indie poppy stuff then its rare they would get any recognition.

I think they are better off just making their music if they are suddenley discovered adored and have pepsi adverts along side Britney then good for them. But as a fan you would probably get very pissed off very quickly if anathema became the new big thing.

i really don't like the idea of them against radiohead since no matter where their music is going to, i'd still like to see them as a pure metal band.
also, as sure as i am that they deserve to get so much more out of this business, i'd like to keep them to ourselves, a bunch of fans who feel the exact same thing when they hear some anathema tunes but who cannot explain that "thing" to other people. i'd feel like my private life was being promoted and polluted if the next album sold millions and got videos flying around mtv and all the cool people are watching them. it may be sick but that's how i'd feel. they can be recognized and appreciated as much as they can after i'm dead :) or after they are dead (god forbid!) like most artists. maybe the reason they are not as much recognized is that they are beyond their time.. ;)

Here's one of many emails I've had with Duncan from Antimatter, and I asked a very similar question "...Decent bands can get ignored by the mainstream when they dont play the game. Thats the way things are. Im happy to exist without needing to play the game. I dont want to have to rely on a record company deciding if Im gonna be successful or not. I dont wanna sell my ass, I'd rather work hard and build up a network of people who feel the same way. I know theres 1000s of people who do, and even more people who are just unaware of what goes on on all levels of the music business...."
SO There you have it, a man in a similar situation, I don't think these bands have to subscribe to that kind of shit, plus who the hell wants to lump them in with these other cookie cutter "artists" that the product is more of a business, than any other type of art, or expression, I love Anathema just the way they are, and they know we appreciate their music, I know that would be enough for me!

To get an answer for this question is really hard. I think there are a lot of factors involved in 'the way to the top of the billboard'.

Many of them have been written before in this thread: to be in a big label, to make Pepsi ads (hehehe, really cool one), to appear at MTV broadcast... Anyway, these factors can be resume usually to one: to be in a big label.

To be decent, to do emotional lyrics, etc. I think is not the key to be famous or not, I suppose. There're a lot of emotional lyrics, made of deep feelings and the composer/s are famous, or not.

To be lucky. I think it could be important sometimes. Very important in some cases.

If Anathema were famous I'll say 'never mind'. The most important thing to me is the lyrics/music, the mixture of these elements to get something that make me feel alive. Beatles, for example... never before a band were so much famous, and they did incredible songs. I think fame don't corrupt the soul of the composers always.

So, I love Anathema's music. If they are famous or not... pstt. what is the difference? To me nothing. To Anathema? who knows? ;)

I wouldn't wish being a millionaire on anyone.

An artist needs pain. Struggling to pay the rent is a pain. Ergo, Anathema shouldn't become rich.

Fuck, this thread was started in the old days! Not many still around from that time...

well, the only thing i know is that when i listen to anathema, i feel like their music is wonderful. and i cannot imagine being alone feeling this way. for me, their music deserves success. and i always try to make some friends discover the band. and some of them become fans. so the fans are getting more and more.
i don't know if anathema needs pain or whatever. and i am not that sure they are in pain. but they do great music. and thus they have to become famous.
even if after they do some ads and get famous like metallica, they will still be special for all they have done. we cannot appreciate them for the future but for the past and/or present things. and for this, they surely deserve success and recognition. for me, their music should be remembered in the future and it will be easier for anathema to do so if they are famous now already.
why anathema should be be a "pure metal band"? they do their own music and you cannot interfer. if they want to sound salsa, they are free. anathema sounds and we listen and that's all.
this kind of purity argument make me think to soccer teams when fans say that players should play like this or like that. well, for me players play and fans watch and that's all.

yeah you're right i cannot interfere but that's just how i imagine things in my mind. i did not say they should be, i said i'd like to see them to be. that's just some personal crap that'll probably change when i'm 30 or so ;)
i think one cannot know whether money would corrupt or encourage anathema. the effect of money is not determined by itself but by the person/institution that possesses it. examples of pros and cons lie in history. however i am quite certain that an artist needs pain (nice said). but hey, you can have tons of pain in richness right? being poor only adds some to it. it's not the only way to suffer.