Anathema vs Radiohead

I

Ivo

Well there's some elements into the music which smells like Radiohead, I'm curious what you think about it. Btw I started to listen to Radiohead after I started to love the new Anathema. Example Karma Police.

I wouldn't say that Radiohead suck but if I had to choose someone from the Bristol stage that would be Tinderstiks.......

Anyway Anathema takes my vote......

if Anathema sounded so much like Radiohead as some ppl say, then maybe i'd buy some Radiohead albums. *glances through his cd collection* ...nope. nothing there.

funny. don't care much for Pink Floyd either...

Originally posted by leadfoot256
i love Radiohead but would take Anathema first any day. I love Pink Floyd, as well, by the way:p
Agree, but what is this Paradise Lost thing?! They've changed a lot, for me it was hard to except every change since their best albums were Gothic and Shades of god...I accepted Icon & Dr. T. even One second but the last one REALLY SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:(

Someone who listens only metal is narrowminded IMO. What's the problem with Paradise Lost? If you could create half of the Host album you would be like a god. First learn about music and then criticise it. Anathema and Radiohead are great musicians and so are Paradise Lost. If you don't like it, don't listen to it. I'm surprised you don't have a problem with Pink Floyd, aren't they too pop for you?:mad:

Originally posted by Ivo

Agree, but what is this Paradise Lost thing?! They've changed a lot, for me it was hard to except every change since their best albums were Gothic and Shades of god...I accepted Icon & Dr. T. even One second but the last one REALLY SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:(

I LOVE old Paradise Lost. I actually just finished listening to Gothic but unlike most Paradise Lost fans I find myself listening to One Second the most, I just can't get enough of that album. I have not heard the new one yet:cry:

i like Paradise Lost too, especially One Second (used to be my favourite album).

the problem with PL today is that all of their songs have the same form; there's always that calm bit before the final chorus, for example... thery're all built the same way. ...except for Year of Summer on Host, and Control on BiN.

wouldn't be surprised if their next album follows the same "rules".

oh yeah, and i wish they would lay of the "religion - contradiction" rhyme. it's getting old.

Originally posted by Fixxxer
Someone who listens only metal is narrowminded IMO. What's the problem with Paradise Lost? If you could create half of the Host album you would be like a god. First learn about music and then criticise it. Anathema and Radiohead are great musicians and so are Paradise Lost. If you don't like it, don't listen to it. I'm surprised you don't have a problem with Pink Floyd, aren't they too pop for you?:mad:
Not at all I'm NOT listening to only metal, the fact that Anathema are the best band for me speak for it's self. The problem with PL is that their trying to do music which is not for them, it's more like copiing. I love Depeche Mode which is the new aim of PL, but they can never reach them. BTW I understand a lot of music...
And copiing a simple Electro stuff doesn't mean that you're creating something.
I hate all those bands who are following the trends, like PL, The Gathering Theatre Of Tragedy...just to keep any commercial interests...

Interesting...
This thread is a good example of how fan prejudice can be a deadly thing...
Well, looking at Paradise Lost's current state, Anathema's current state as well, all I can say is that they're doing what they wish to do and so be it...
The new Paradise Lost is weak, yeah, maybe because of the lack of variation, not because they are doing something that's not for them... it's a terrible feeling to be judged by music which you made almost 14 years ago and it's sad to see them suffer this fate... whatever you do right now is whatever is good for you.
The Gathering aren't exactly 'following trends' either... their last album was a two-CD audio trip!! Nothing commercial there. They may have dropped metal, simply because they were tired of being pigeonholed and boxed into one style. Any great bands understand this and evolve and move on... Radiohead and Anathema being two of them. Some bands keep the metal element with them, others choose to drop it altogether.

It may be hard to accept, but these bands we're into are led by strong-minded people who will do anything they damn well want for the sake of creativity. That isn't selling out. What's selling out is making an album which specifically targets the fans or a certain genre - everything formulated and arranged to be 'like that album.'

Some bands, like Anathema, make a brilliant change into giving their music a new face. Other bands, like Theatre Of Tragedy, aren't so lucky, only because their songs are weak.

Seriosuly, sometimes I think AC/DC are the perfect band because they never ever change and are guaranteed to sound the same and make fans happy with each record. To other bands, this means creative suffocation.

<EveryCriticOnEarth> OMG RADIOHEAD JUST CRAPPED ON A PLATE OMG THIS IS THE BEST MMM YUM YUMM!!

The Onion has 9 music reviewers, and every one of them had the exact same top 10 artist list, with Radiohead at the top.

I don't see where they are so incredible. I don't see where they are so original.

Am I just blind, or do they actually suck as much as I think they do?

Morgan

there is no comparison.

Anathema - are amazing.. radiohead are rubbish in comparison. the odd thing here and there is ok
but its pretty tuneless and passionless

Thom Yorke whining on.

yes Anathemas got some very slow and sad stuff. but it is far superior.

and i am talking from knowledge - i gave Radiohead a lot of times... but each time i listened i still didnt find anything worth listeing to over and over as i do with Anathema.

I understand they are a very popular band - and if peoplel like them hey thats cool.. but really theyre poor mans misery.

I find anathema are real pure emotion
radiohead- like i say - thom whining on.

over and out !

Mg

Ok, Computer is a wonderful album. It's one of those rare albums that pretty much tops everything else. Eternity is better than Ok, Computer, but not by much. Judgement and AFDTE aren't near as good as that masterpiece. It's insanely wonderful any direction you look at it. It's theme is executed unimaginably good, the lyrics are amazing, and Thom Yorke's voice is flawless. You really can't get any more perfect than that album.

As a whole, though, Anathema is far superior. Every Anathema album is wonderful whereas Radiohead only has 1 perfect album and the rest range from mediocre to just merely great. The Bends and Kid A are great... while Amnesiac and Pablo Honey are mediocre.

This is a poor comparison though, try Anathema vs Porcupine Tree, that one would actually be quite difficult.