Anathema

Jasonic

Doom On!
Apr 14, 2004
West Burbs of Chicago
Anyone into this band? I recently picked up "The Silent Enigma" Pretty good stuff here. Good mix of clean and harsh vocals.
I think they have gone in more of a depressive "rock" direction, ala Katatonia.

I only have "Eternity", which I liked quite a bit when I first bought it. I haven't listened to it in a while, I have some other songs on my computer that I listen to now and again. Good stuff indeed.

For me in the new Anathema Era, i would go for Eternity, Alternative IV, and Judgment, very nice depressive "rock" releases.

While in the early Serenades Is my Fav, then the silent Enigma.

But you must check all their releases

"Eternity" is my favourite, i used to love them, now i almost hate them..its not the direction they took , but the fact that they produce crappy whiny music now. I totally praise all pre-alt 4 albums.

mm; I beg to differ, Storm...I quite like their latest album "A Natural Disaster." I agree that it has little to do with metal, but the music has certainly matured. It is slumbery music and very emonitional. Turn down the lights; light some candles and pour yourselves a good glass of wine (not whine, heheh).

I haven't had the chance to see their DVD "Were you There" but I hear it's very cool.

Well, honestly I never really liked this band until their last few albums. I had bought "Serenades" back when it first came out, and I liked it okay at the time but they weren't a band I really kept up with. When I joined ND and I saw so many people comparing us to them and the "Silent Enigma" album, I decided I should go check it out. I can't stand that disc, LOL. I really don't like that stuff at all, which is a big part of why I get so openly defensive when people try to claim that we're ripping off that album's sound. If there's anything similar about us and that cd of theirs, it's purely coincidental and unintentional, trust me!!
I really have enjoyed "A Fine Day to Exit" and "A Natural Disaster" quite alot. It's not metal, it's not "doom" or whatever, it's just melancholy interesting music that I can chill out to. I've seen the band several times live and I think they're a much better band live than on album, personally. They're quite talented writers and I guess unlike so much of the popular opinion on them, I tend to think they've gotten much better at it over the years. I do like some parts of "Alternative 4" and "Judgement" as well, but the rest of their catalog is not something I'd generally get the urge to listen to.

I have the "Were You There" dvd, it's quite good if you do in fact like the more recent direction of the band as I do.

One of my favorite bands..I differently don't see them as metal anymore. I just love the way they sound. One last Goodbye is one of my favorite songs of all time.

Their latest 2 CDs (AFDTE and Natural Disaster) contains some good music here and there, such as panic, leave no trace, flying and violence. But they fail to reach the quality of Alt.4 Judgment and Eternity. They Are capable to do better than the latest 2 cds.

Regarding the silent enigma... i like that CD alot, yes there are some dull songs in it but it contain classics for Anathema, Dying wish, the silent enigma, the opener track, Sunset of Age.....

I love everything they've done, always playing something refreshing to me. Serenades had some heavy ass down tuned riffs that no one else was doing at the time. Pentecost III was interesting, but not that exiting. Silent Enigma is amazing with Vincent Cavanagh's harsh and clean voice...the atmosphere was fantastic too, I think it's their best heavy release. Eternity, Alternative 4 and Judgement I'd say are the triad of the best Anathema music...heavy depressive rock with tons of great songs. The last two A fine day to exit and A Natural Disaster are awesome and different too. Evolution is always good, I'm a fan of Pink Floyd myself so I really dig the spacey aspects of the music. I personally think the band is gonna stay more in this direction, because it's real mellow and creative. I think Vincent was just maturing letting the heavniess grow out of him since judgement, alternative 4 etc were still kind hard hitting at times although real melancholy.

I totally agree with you Dreadful! I've been following the band since the "Serenades" album and I can say that Anathema and Vincent "matured" together with me. This sounds cheesy, but every album of theirs reminds me of a certain period of my life and of things going on at the time. But hey; I guess I should post this on the Anathema-forum, haha!!

Anyway, like I said once before, when I first listened to "The Knowing" it reminded me of the older Anathema in a way. In my opinion some of the chord-progressions are somewhat alike and the same atmosphere is created on that album.

"To Welcome The Fade" has the same elements but the atmosphere is different. More like the slow parts of that dutch band Gorefest on their ceedee "False." I don't know why, but the first two songs of "TWTF" remind me of Gorefest.

The new album "The Pale Haunt departure" reminds me of.......Novembers Doom!!!! This is because I only knew about "ND" since late 2002. A that time I was looking for a "new" (I mean unknown by me) good heavy doomish melancholic metalband and "ND" sounded what I was looking for. I listened to "The Knowing" and "TWTF" for the first time on the same day.

So it is only natural I was comparing because I was looking for a certain sphere. I listen to the new album in a totally different way and I am intending to mature along with Novembers Doom too now!

Oké, to finish up on Anathema, let me edit that my long-time relationship began around the time I picked up "Serenades" and we broke up around the time "A Natural Disaster" came out. haha!!! :headbang:

Septembers Marc said:
Oké, to finish up on Anathema, let me edit that my long-time relationship began around the time I picked up "Serenades" and we broke up around the time "A Natural Disaster" came out. haha!!! :headbang:

I guess that would be like 1993-2003. Holy shit dude! That's a long time! Serenades was my introduction to Anathema back when I heard it in '94. I like a lot of their new stuff too; I think there's at least a batch of good songs on every album.

have everything from them, they are still doing some good music. i think the last album is better then a fine day to exit. they've had their shares of up and downs, i think now they are confortable with what they do.
saw them live, my first concert, and it was simply amazing and my best concert yet. today they are playing on a national festival, but i can't go... stupid classes :|.