Anathema's spiritual convulsions...

I

Ivo

Anathema's spiritual convulsions...
finding a ways out of the bitter desperation, or swimming into the darkest ocean of suicide?:rolleyes:

Do yourself a favor and listen to Katatonia. Much darker depressive feelings as opposed to Anathema's "bright" sorrow.

Originally posted by Wolff
Do yourself a favor and listen to Katatonia. Much darker depressive feelings as opposed to Anathema's "bright" sorrow.
Well I know Katatonia pretty well...you're right about their depressive feelings, but this is Anathema forum & they're my favorit band...I don't think that speaking of suicide or escaping of this fucking world can be described as "bright" sorrow...Anathema's music really touches the depths of my heart as nobody else did!!! So I love them, but this is matter of personal opinions...:)

IMO anathema is about "the pain of love and hate" , not about suicide or something else. but you're right about katatonia. they're more depressive and "dark".

Originally posted by noose
IMO anathema is about "the pain of love and hate" , not about suicide or something else. but you're right about katatonia. they're more depressive and "dark".

Yeah, right I wanted to make a discussion about those things...About your thoughts of absence of suicidal concept in Anathema, how can you interpret the cover of AFDTE or the lyrics on a songs like "Suicidal Veil"...:rolleyes:

I will agree with noose,Anathema are about the pain of love and hate....As a friend of mine used to say "Anathema are exclusively for lovers and people who are in love" :lol:
The suicidal concept is present f.e. in "Suicide Veil" or even in eternity but still it is not so intense and obvious as in the old Katatonia and i guess in anathema it is also mixed with the essence of love...

Katatonia doesn't depress me at all. You haven't heard anything depressing until you've heard some of the really dark bands in other genres such as :Wumpscut: (Stillbirth is the single most depressing and dark song that I've heard) or Grief.

Originally posted by Melancholia
I will agree with noose,Anathema are about the pain of love and hate....As a friend of mine used to say "Anathema are exclusively for lovers and people who are in love" :lol:
The suicidal concept is present f.e. in "Suicide Veil" or even in eternity but still it is not so intense and obvious as in the old Katatonia and i guess in anathema it is also mixed with the essence of love...

You're right on the money of course. Most of the suicidal themes were also entirely written by Duncan Patterson, who's sadly no longer with the band. Darren White another "heavy" (heavy as in themes) writer is incidentally not with the band either.

I think Anathema is pretty depressive, suicidal music.

I think Katatonia even more. Lets see now:

Anathema have an album titled 'A fine Day to Exit'. Katatonia have 'Tonights' Decision'.

Tonights' Decision!!! I don't think they're discussing pizza toppings...

It's funny, because both are probably my favourite bands.

Originally posted by requiem

i had a feeling the decision was about a leap of faith...
now that i see it under the pizza toppings pov, though, it makes much more sense. ;)

rahvin.

Anathema have an album titled 'A fine Day to Exit'. Katatonia have 'Tonights' Decision'.

Yeah, I can agree with you...BTW look at the cover of AFDTE...there's this car abandoned near the sea...there're the clothes scattered on the beach, so who may think that this guy is there to take a bath?!
Listen to the lyrics of the last two songs AFDTE and Temporary peace...can't you sense it?
I like very much the ending, the tiny beam of hope, when he sings: "... Beyond this beautiful horizon, lies a dream for you and I..."

Originally posted by Ivo

look at the cover of AFDTE...there's this car abandoned near the sea...there're the clothes scattered on the beach, so who may think that this guy is there to take a bath?!
Listen to the lyrics of the last two songs AFDTE and Temporary peace...can't you sense it?
I like very much the ending, the tiny beam of hope, when he sings: "... Beyond this beautiful horizon, lies a dream for you and I..."

oooooo.... suicidal.... ooooooo....

Anathema is such depressive music...

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I think that the final page of the book in Katatonia's TD is very suicidal. The man on the chair with the slipknot around his neck ready to kick the chair........(creepy)
Still I can't choose between those 2 terrific good bands..........

I've never used Anathema as "depressive" or "suicidal" music (or Katatonia for that matter). I think the words "cathartic" and "psychological" fit better. Without these qualities, Anathema would just fall apart, its musical components would simply scatter and would be easily sortable by infulence-band later.

D Mullholand

i think that the use of the word depressing when describing Anathema is largely exagerating. For me Anathema are only a good melancolic band.

Originally posted by Wolff

oooooo.... suicidal.... ooooooo....

Anathema is such depressive music...

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Yeah very funny!!! In your opinion the lyric shoulod sound like...Beyond this DARK horizon lies a NIGHTMARE for you and I...:lol:

Are you saying Anathema lyrics are good?:tickled: (And I mean post Eternity lyrics, i.e. stuff written by Vinnie?)

They're utter shit. Typical rock lyrics. Nothing spectacular.