Android or IPhone 6?

DustyV

Jan 21, 2010
Okay, I'm a total Android and IPhone virgin. I never had either one of them...I'm getting ready to get rid of my 2005 flip phone(lol) and I'm completely torn between not knowing if I should get an Android or a IPhone. I ask people at work and seems to be split down the middle....So I just wanted to ask you folks? :)

Thanks.

It's all what you want out of a smart phone.

Best thing is to go to a phone store and play with the phones and figure out which one works for you.

I'm on Verizon Wireless, so I went to a Verizon store (not a reseller) to figure out which phone I liked the best.

I wound up with a Samsung Galaxy S5. It has since been replaced with the S6, but I believe the S5 is still available.

It's all about the tradeoffs you're willing to take. Customization options on iPhones are thin, but the flipside is that the rigid control gives a remarkably consistent experience that generally just works.

If you like to tinker and take control then go Android, as the options are myriad. The flip is that the lack of control from Google means the experience can be very different from manufacturer to manufacturer. Samsung Android isn't a ton like HTC Android.

Personally I'm an Android person.

I'm not a fan of Google as they track everything you do. Go with an iPhone unless you get an Android and flash it with the open source Cyanogenmod - which will exorcise much of the evil Google spirits out of it. Check with the Cyanogenmod project and get a phone that can take a stable CM12 (Lollipop). Really your easiest option is an iPhone, but be aware if you go with an iPhone you'll need iTunes to sync it. If you have a Mac its not an issue so much, but if you have a Windows PC - well - Windows people tend to hate iTunes.

Personally I got a dumb Tracphone, run Linux, and don't use Apple or Google so they got little coming from me. However, if I had to make a choice I'd choose an Android phone and flash it with the open sourced firmware Cyanogenmod - you just have to get a Cynogenmod friendly phone make & model. If you're not comfortable doing that then get a stock Apple iPhone, with Apple being the lesser of two evils between Apple or Google IMHO. That is all I'm saying.

Okay, I'm a total Android and IPhone virgin. I never had either one of them...I'm getting ready to get rid of my 2005 flip phone(lol) and I'm completely torn between not knowing if I should get an Android or a IPhone. I ask people at work and seems to be split down the middle....So I just wanted to ask you folks? :)

Thanks.

I was somewhat late to the smart phone party myself... I used a flip phone until May 2011. But if you're just getting a smart phone in late 2015, I guess it's safe to say you don't have very rigid or specific requirements. Still, there are some basic things to consider before your question can be answered. First off, what's your budget? There are many Android device manufacturers, so there a lot of Android devices available at many different price levels, and these days even most of the lower-priced ones work well (at ⅓ the price of the latest top-end models). With Apple, only Apple makes the phones, so there's only 1 current model (with a choice of 2 screen sizes) at any given time... and it's always at the top end of the price scale. If you want a lower-priced Apple option, an older / used device is really your only choice. So that leads to the next question... what size device do you want? "Regular" sized devices seem to have settled at around 5 inches these days, whereas extra large phones have 6+ inch screens. So, how do you intend to carry your phone... what feels comfortable in your pocket, etc. Beyond that, one thing to consider is, are you already an Apple user? Do you regularly use a Mac or iTunes? If you're already in that ecosystem, it may be easier to jump into an Apple device. If not, well, it probably makes the most sense to figure out where you stand budget-wise first, because that will narrow your options a bit to begin with, and make it easier to figure out what to do.

Thanks everyone for your replies. I appreciate it :)....Budget wise, I know that I can get a IPhone super cheap if I renew my At&t contract. And since I've been with At&t for several years, renewing another 2 years, is no big deal....Although i'm not an Apple Owner, I have messed around with I Tunes quite a bit. Thanks again!

It's all about the tradeoffs you're willing to take. Customization options on iPhones are thin, but the flipside is that the rigid control gives a remarkably consistent experience that generally just works.

This is a pretty succinct summary. Honestly, it is like Pepsi and Coke at this point. Personal preference and how much money you have invested in either's infrastructure probably decides it at this point. Feature wise they are pretty compatible, so you should be good either way.

I recommend iPhones, especially to people just buying their first smartphone. They are more intuitive than Android and more secure. My personal phone is an iPhone 6 but I also carry an Android (LG) for work so I use both platforms regularly.

I am a fan of Google (probably more so than Apple) and I like the *idea* of Android, but the way it has been implemented left a bad taste in my mouth. Take security updates for example - Google publishes the updates, which are modified by the manufacturer, and are then modified further by the carrier before being deployed to the end-users. Except sometimes the manufacturer or carrier can't be bothered. I have seen friends purchase a brand-new Android with a 2 year contract only to see it abandoned by the manufacturer within a few months and they never received another update. This isn't as big of a problem for the flagship products these days, but it was a regular occurrance just a couple years ago and still happens to the lower-end models. If the phone doesn't dominate the market they move on to the next model.

And then there is malware - despite a couple of well publicized iOS issues recently the vast majority of mobile malware out there is targeting Android users. Like >95%. Apple's "walled garden" approach to their app store keeps the majority of malicious code from making it to end-user devices. I used to hate that approach and it is what drove me away from Apple to PC's 25 years ago, but it doesn't bother me a bit on my phone. Also, with a few exceptions (like widgets - I wish iOS would get something like widgets) almost every app you might want is available on both platforms.

You should also put Windows Phone on your list to check out. I have used a couple of them recently and was very impressed (I'm not giving up my iPhone, but I liked the ones I was using). Just my 2 cents.

Although i'm not an Apple Owner, I have messed around with I Tunes quite a bit. Thanks again!
iTunes is an absolute dumpster fire of an application. It's part of the reason I recently returned a Macbook Pro after only a few days with it. If you're going to buy an iPhone you should be doing so in spite of iTunes.

Try the new Microsoft/Nokia Lumia 640XL running Windows 8, I have one and love it, I was a Samsung Galaxy owner since the S3, tried the 640XL, and wow what a difference.

Figure out your carriers first because you could have the best phone in the world and if you had a shitty provider for your area its as useless as a Ferrari in a corn field. In downtown Chicago and Sprint I couldnt stream a youtube video this was less than a year ago. Which leads to the boasts about unlimited data, again this doesnt mean jack if you get dial up speed downloads.

When you get a smart phone all kinds of things change, if your car stereo is blue tooth compatible your phone will be heavily used as an audio source in that you can store gigs worth of music on it. If you think this is something your going to want to use the phone for figure more storage is always better, the only phones that take micro sd cards for expansion are certain android devices. So you could put 64GB+ of additional storage on your device.

If your old school and have a crap ton of CDs that you've ripped you'll want an easy way to move those files to your device with a windows PC you connect an android device to the usb port and you dont need to install any apps (other than the one time driver setup) and you can use windows explorer to copy your music, books, videos etc. to the device. Apple devices require iTunes, and some people like the app most realize that its pure crap. Also on a pc it installs like 4+ services.

If your a mac user I think you'd be better off with a iphone.

Also previously stated go check out the devices. I was on a S3 and when I upgraded I really wanted to get the newest LG but when I saw it in person its screen was not as good as the Samsung OLEDs which had a better viewing angle and blacks on an OLED screen are pure black not the same on all devices. Size also matters, if you have larger hands you might want to look at the larger smart phones then you have consider is it too big to put in the pocket etc..

I just played with an I-phone for the first time when my mom was here.
Found it to be an absolute nightmare to get anything done in it.
I like to be able to do things so....
I have the HTC one....good size and good overall performance.
After my one year accident forgiveness is up, it will get hacked.

Definitely put a lot of thought into this decision. Once you decide, any apps you buy will only work for the platform you choose (Android vs iPhone). If you switch later, you've thrown that money away.

I like Android because I like to tweak my phone. I want custom ringtones, backgrounds, loading images, custom ROMs. I love the long battery life (though I know the new iPhones are better in this regard). I love being able to use my phone as a thumbdrive if necessary. I love being able to use it as a mobile hotspot. I connect my laptop to it that way and I can avoid the company network and its slow speeds and ridiculous website blocking.

iPhones are great if you want a phone that works and don't want to fiddle with things. Of course, by now, the same can be said of Android.

Go test them out and see what you like. Go to your carrier's store and try them all. Then order it someplace else.