Forum browsing alternatives in Iphone

DanLights

Santa Hat Forever
I've heard lots of guys mentioning their browsing their forum on their Iphone, so what are you using for that purpose?

Safari sucks total balls for any non-mobile/iphone site, so I've been using Opera mini and it's really good cause Vbulletin sites (this place, reaper forum and talkbass forum are the forums I frequent) seem to adjust to the width of the screen sometimes, and doubletapping on a section (such as a post the thread titles, or an image) automatically zooms in to fit the section so there is no need for annoying back and forth horizontal scrolling and I can joyfully scroll down while reading multiple posts. But the problem I'm having with Opera is for posting. After I finish typing what I will type, I have to press "done" up top to get out of the textbox so I can go down and hit the "post reply" button, but when I hit done it seems to refresh or reload the page, and 80% of the time it erases my post before I can hit post reply. It's annoying cause I have to copy everything before hitting done and if I'm not fast enough to hit post reply then my post most likely gets erased and I have to go back, paste it and then try again (sometimes having to do it 3 or 4 times to post a stupid "thank you" post).

So in other words, What have you Iphone guys been using when browsing the forum?

Edit: If you do not have an Iphone or have used an Iphone for this purpose, please refrain from posting. No need for another "Android is cooler, Iphone is cooler" thread, if you dare come here saying "I have and an Android, it's cooler cause I can use blabla app to browse" I will kick your balls

Haha I'm a bit afraid to answer because I could get kicked in the balls.. :p
I'm browsing happily with the Safari browser, nothing wrong with it for me.
When Opera mini first came out and I tried it, it sucked old mens' cocks so it got deleted. Might check it out again, though. Is the new version any different?

Someone on here wanted to develop an Ultimate Metal browsing app, that would be superduper great :D (The Gearslutz app is a good example)

yeah I don't remember who it was that talked about making an app for the forum, it would be beyond awesome if that happened.

Safari is really annoying to me cause I hate horizontal scrolling with all my guts, and the doubletapping thing doesn't quite work with me, plus the tab managing system and bookmarks system is shite (IMO of course, I won't kick your balls for liking it)

I just use safari. No probs here. I have the gs app but I don't use it as I like to see the threads as they are with avatars and shit down the side. It just looks weird to me in an app with just countless boring white pages.

Double-tapping in Safari works flawlessly for me, and I love the fact that the zoom factor varies depending on the size of the thing you double-tap. I never need to scroll horizontally, though I always browse the forum holding the iPhone in landscape mode; also, I can imagine it would be more of a pain on a non-retina display, in that you'd have to zoom in more for the text to be clear - it's unbelievable how sharp this screen is :worship: (sorry to rub it in :D)

Yeah I also noticed that on the iPhone/iPod 4 screen, surfing is a lot more comfortable than before. You actually don't have to zoom just to read something small, because it's resolution is so good.
The only thing I use the zoom for is jumping to a certain / the last page of a thread, seems like I'm too retarded to click the small "1,2,3,4" icons without zoom.

And :lol: @ safari being emo

Marcus said:
I never need to scroll horizontally, though I always browse the forum holding the iPhone in landscape mode; also, I can imagine it would be more of a pain on a non-retina display, in that you'd have to zoom in more for the text to be clear - it's unbelievable how sharp this screen is

+11111

I use my iPhone 4 in landscape for forum browsing and don't have any issues - also I never have to scroll horizontally at all... and yes, the retina display slays.

I find it (Safari that is, I'm on an iPod touch 3rd gen) fine for browsing (unless I want to use Flash or someone posts a ridiculously wide image, so the text becomes 4x as wide as the screen). I get really annoyed when I'm trying to post something, and usually just give up and wait til I'm at a computer.
At least on this forum, it zooms in until it can't anymore, scrolls down until I can only see the last 5 words I've typed, so that if I want to go back and edit what I've said I need to SLOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWLY pan across the entire thing, 5 words at a time. And then usually about 3-4 times per post it'll pop out of the typing window for some reason and if I'm not careful I accidentally click on a link erasing everything I say. And then there's the spelling corrector which is a blessing and a curse.

yeah forum runner started annoying me the yesterday that UM was compatible with it, so I downloaded the free version to check it out. Don't really like it, first cause it takes me to the UM and not Andy Sneap (logical), and I can't seem to be able to reach my user Cp to check subscribed threads or even check "last post read" stuff on threads, so it's a no go for me. It is good for answering and sending Pms it seems, would have to try it