Andy, any thoughts of ever doing an Instructional Book/DVD?

Even a low budget DVD would do well.

Much easier to say it all in front of a camara than to fill the pages of a book to make it worth buying.

Especially if you had any footage while a band was in session.

People would eat that up.

Think Melissa Cross DVD, with the Metal Recording Theme.

:headbang:

a days work here really isnt that interesting, honest

Peter North and Rocco Siffredi always say that too...

Anyway, I bet there's people here (such as me) who would find VERY interesting things that you might do with your eyes closed, or things you even consider boring!

If such a DVD would be done, then there would already be a big market just in the sneap-fanbase alone, not to mention every other recording geek around the world. Like previously mentioned, several people around here are more than capable in the art of filming, and some might even do it for free just for the fun of it. So you would have a product with almost no cost to produce, and a solid market from the get-go.

I would buy it, and watch it everyday before breakfast.

Or what if enough money were raised to pay for Andy's normal wages (without discussing how much this would be exactly), getting a good band that have one or two tracks they'd like professionally tracked & mixed? That way, Andy wouldn't be out of pocket at all.
The DVD could then comprise of the entire process, with Andy explaining why he makes certain decisions during the different stages...
Not everyone here has had the luxury of being in a top studio and even those that have been may not have paid so much attention to what the engineer was actually doing (I know I was more focused on tracking my drums).

I'm pretty convinced Andy will make more money by keeping busy with clients then he will off of the sales of a DVD that will do nothing for his business other than lose him prospective clients who decide they can do a good job on their own by using the DVD instead of paying Andy to do it himself :p

I'm pretty convinced Andy will make more money by keeping busy with clients then he will off of the sales of a DVD that will do nothing for his business other than lose him prospective clients who decide they can do a good job on their own by using the DVD instead of paying Andy to do it himself :p

I'm pretty convinced that most, if not all of the bands that retain Andy's services already know he is providing a lot more than just a technical aspect to their recordings. An instructional DVD is in no way any kind of substitute for working WITH Andy and IN his studio.

Just my opinion of course :)

so many people would just rip it and seed it anyway..... i don't really see how a project like that would be very interesting for Andy to do. i for one would rather just book another good album project than to make a dvd about doing so.

Andy really has given so many tips on this forum, you just have to look.

I'd be much more keen to see a DVD on how he tunes drums for example, than seeing his plugin settings or something......and even still he has said a TON about his drum tuning preferences on this site already. Im not too sure what I'd be looking to gain in buying a DVD.