Andy compressing vocals during tracking

madmuso

musician
May 5, 2006
Melbourne, Australia.
www.eyefear.com
Hey guys,

I recently watched some sound on sound vids with Russ Russell and Andy and was surprised to hear that Andy compresses vocals during tracking, does anyone know what he uses, and if he's actually compressing or just limiting slightly to tame the peaks to avoid clipping and get some decent level on the way in. Would love to know what his "usual" settings are. Metal and Rock vocalists can be so dynamic so im interested in this.

im sure everyone has seen the vids

thanks,

Last edited by a moderator:
The interviewer my lecturer at my University. Swell dude, he's doing research work on Heavy Metal production techniques and evolution. Absolute foundation of knowledge yet down to earth compared hyper tech geeks that are more engineer engineers.

This interview seems really awkward for him haha

"do you use any stereo wi...."

"NOPE"..

Ain't nothing wrong with a little compression on the at in if you know what you're doing.
I can't live without it

This is like watching an Olympic runner talk about how he won the gold medal. "Well, I mean, I just kind of put one foot in front of the other. Quite simple really."

I've got to say that absolutely destroying screams on the way in with a distressor is one of my favourite things about tracking. 10dB on a 6:1 ratio is pretty swell. If you remember that they're screams and that they are supposed to sound distorted it'll make you rest a little easier ;)

Absolutely. Tracking screams without compression? No way. Man up and commit pussies

I NEVER track vocals without a compressor on the way in. Cleans too, as I do about 90% clean vocals anyway. Usual setup for clean vocals is an 1176 or distressor. Screamed vocals always through a distressor. 6:1. dist 3 in sometimes.

I usually compress bass on the way in as well.

I NEVER track vocals without a compressor on the way in. Cleans too, as I do about 90% clean vocals anyway. Usual setup for clean vocals is an 1176 or distressor. Screamed vocals always through a distressor. 6:1. dist 3 in sometimes.

I usually compress bass on the way in as well.

exactly.

I tracked vocals into a Distressor for the first time last weekend. I don't think I'll ever go without! Not only will it require less processing come mix time, but the vocalist sounded better to himself, which meant more confidence, which meant better takes throughout! Worst case scenario with no hardware (i dont own any, this was at a studio i rent) is to track with some light compression that gives a little color, then print it without thinking twice!