Andy... hope you can answer this question

DigitalDevil666

New Metal Member
Mar 5, 2003
www.impious.net
You're a guy having done quite much work in the US. Have you ever brought some gear with you back home, since it's pretty much cheaper "over there" compared to here in europe? I'm sure you have. I thought of buying some gear this summer to take home, but I'm a bit unsure because of all new rules at the airports. I mean, I'm pretty sure for example a preamp would look pretty suspicious in that new X-ray machine...?? So, do I just ignore that, and show them the gear if they ask what it is? Or is it better if I send the gear to my own address? But then I'd have to cross the little "gift box" on the green sticker that goes on the package, so that I don't have to pay a whole lot of tax, right? Or what do I do? Hope you have some handy tips...

Hehe, a friend who's a drummer going home from a tour got stopped at the airport because of his d-drum brain which he had in a suitcase. When they asked what it was he answered "It's a trigger!".... :)

yeah I do it all the time. Though I have a US work Visa so if I'm coming and going with gear it doesn't look too bad. Check the warranty situation before you buy anything, I was about to get a whole HD rig this time round but found out at the last minute that if anything went wrong Id have to return it through the dealer i bought it from.

But with the state of the dollar it's worth picking somethings up. If they have any doubts with security they'll just swab it for explosives. I wouldn't send it as you'll probably get taxed.

It seems like it will be a bigger deal than it actually is. You have to figure that they see medical equipment and all kinds of shit you wouldn't even think of on a regular basis. We got permission from some airline to take our fog machine and (fog juice) on an international flight.....that is about as odd as an item can get. In my experience most customs people are more interested in your dirty clothes than they are in anything that might actually be dangerous.