Andy's mesa cabinet info

Same!

OP. Using 5150-style amp? Boost with TS? You need at least one kind of 5150 amp, get me? 6505 of course. Get phat tones, phatter than dre's, get me? For real, you get me doe? Tighten up your amp with a TS. You need a TS get close to sneap's vibe, Get get sick vibe like sneap's. The sickest there is. Seriously. Dey sick doe. You get me? Your mate Trevor can't get mad phat tones like this. Seriously blood, pure phatness in the bass. Is you joking mad You need this.

Hahaha with mad amounts of high end....enough to make my ears bleed.

Seriously though, I have 2 Mesa OS cabs here now and while they do sound a bit different it's not night and day....and I most certainly do not sound like Sneap with either of them! :devil:

Jaymz

can you upload sample with each of cab & boosted 5150 and sm57 at here:

240221d1308008746-micing-guitar-cab-single-sm57-speaker-example.jpg

?

i wanna hear difference

i tried this way:

Mic-highs.jpg

and then i had to set any heights onto minimum on head.. head in room was sounding without any heights,but it seemed ok from mic.. i dunno if this way is ok

Maybe mic any hoop under the hood like a desk on a pizza rolling on the floor then mash it up with your chin from a distance... Or maybe not.

that would be cool also to hear:

Mesa = T4335 (8 ohms) or T4416 (16 ohms)
Celestion = T3903 (8 ohms) or T3904 (16 ohms)

china/non-china

That actually doesn't sound too terrible; you're double-tracking (or quad) and panning left/right when you're comparing tones, right?

The biggest issue is that you can clearly hear string noise from the guitar in the first one - you've got this amp running at a very low volume, don't you? THAT's going to be a problem - you want that thing roaring at stage levels if not louder.

lol ozone

Yeah, this is it;) I have couple of Blackstar loaded with celestion V30 so all time I do what I said - use Matching Eq after 'cause all the guys I know who's just set up sm57 at edge of dustcap, they all getting the same kind of character sounding - glassy, fizzy and with this Hi frequency over-tightness like a nozzle jet plane, which don't pass through other elements of mix

2 JEFF
yeah -it is silent... just other people over here... ((
may be mic sucks air from room because amp is silent...?
if i will surround cab by auralex maxwall and rockwool behind it - will get that better with sound clarity and will make amp more quiet for other people?

when i match tone - i listen to samples in mono...

2 AXELL
matching eq causes nasal guitars + phase problems - it sounds ok in mono , but in stereo it sucks and not like on original... dunno howto

i do not use ozone - i have tcpowercore assimilator + uad here

here is the shit what i am speaking about

http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=60388 (first mp3 of dude... difference what i am speaking about - second speaker is more similar to Andy's cab RAW demos... first harsh and fizzy speaker - like mine now. shit i hate him)
http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/backline/653299-celestion-v30-question.html

therefore i started this thread

i just did disassembly of cab:
here is mine info

celestion T4335B <<<<<<< what the fuck is there - what the "B"
vintage 30
31 KS
8 ohm
made in UK

here is ANOTHER

MesaV30.jpg

it is ANOTHER - opposite to mine... i need to hear that

there is T4416 Mesa OEM 16 also.... i need to hear that

Chinese V30 and Mesa voiced V30 are night and day. Mesa is darker, Chinese is much brighter. I replaced one of the speakers in my OS cab with Chinese one just to get a brighter tone when I want it.

Using a cab and an amp on speech level will never get you there in my opinion. Generally speaking, you should be able to get it loud enough to set your mic pre to 35 db of gain, when using sm57. OR LESS. I got my best results with 5150 and Mesa cab with two tubes in the poweramp and post gain at 3. Using attenuator might be an option. Also, re-soldering your cab and running only one speaker might be another option if you have to be quiet.

Speaking of searching for tones - divide your aim into separate sub-aims. Check gain structure, check tuning, check the mids and the lows. Then compare upper mids and high frequencies. Using match eq is good for learning. Compare, match, move the mic, compare, match, move the mic. Even if it won't get you 100% there, you will find the tones you'll prefer to the others (and maybe even to your reference clip).

Besides... I once had two mesas in my studio - one brand new, borrowed it from my friend, I recorded a couple of albums through it so it was broken in already. Another one - really old, bought it on e-bay. The difference in sound was huge, literally like between the Chinese V30 (new mesa) and Mesa-voiced V30 (old one).

Now, another thing about EQ-ing. Words "nothing drastic on EQ" may mean "3db narrow cut in 2.2k" which DOES make a difference. "two small cuts in between 4.4k and 5.8k" make a huge difference too. So think about it too.

thx

>Chinese V30 (new mesa) and Mesa-voiced V30
how to spot Chinese ? i even can not define if they 60 or 70w
rear tells it's 280 - but you can write anything, u know

my cab goes from 2008,2009 i guess. is it from china ?

>
can be speakers be fizzy if they nothing played on stage volumes ?
also i have 1960lead - it is scoped and ok without amp kranking...
and my mesa only fizzes.. in same time. i do not hear that <mid freqs

about amp - it is pretty loud to my ears, but i guess not to mic... i dunno

i tried 5150 on postgain 3 - no difference .. spectrum thru speakers is same

i tried single speaker - i guess power is dividing between all speakers in cab in equal parts.. so, single speaker was sounding summary with same loudness as 4

had not tried to remove 2tubes..... on 5150 which tubes can i remove ?

on dual recto ?

i tried Ultimate ATTenuator - MHO - this is shit.. it is ok with 5150 - but nonusable with dual.. it changes sound.. it kills lowend and heights... so i sold it

////////////////
i just want to listen to others T4335... if i will like it -i will buy and replace..

i have marshall 1960V - i was comparing itto mesa - very similar sounding,that is strange...

here it is too complex to find something... cabs - speakers.. all they sell it is original v30.... and often from china

i have marshall 1960V - i was comparing itto mesa - very similar sounding,that is strange...

here in fuckin' russia it is too complex to find something... cabs - speakers.. all they sell it is original v30....

I live in Ukraine and I know what you're saying but man! You have 5150, rectifier, krank, some serious cabs, rme, cranesong, you have ultimate attenuator (btw I have one too, the ancient revision, and it's absolutely awesome, though I just don't need it anymore). How can you complain? It's time to make some recordings!

If your 1960 and your OS sound similar treble-wise, then it seems you have this newer mesa. Perhaps they put regular V30ies in there. Maybe (just maybe) these bright-voiced mesas are presented only on the post-USSR market. It's just a guess, cos I often notice a huge quality difference between the strings from the shops and strings ordered by internet in US webstores. Go figure.

If you can afford it, just get a nice used mesa cab on e-bay. You can always sell it later. At least you'll be sure that your cab sounds right.

upd: it's really strange you haven't noticed any difference in amp's behavior between 1 and 3.

upd2: you asked about pulling out tubes. leave tubes 1 and 4, pull out tubes 2 and 3. watch out for impedance mismatch though. when you leave only half tubes working in the power amp, you must switch the amp to 4 ohms for an 8 ohm cab.

here in fuckin' russia it is too complex to find something.
&#1041;&#1091;&#1075;&#1072;&#1075;&#1072;&#1075;&#1072;..&#1089;&#1083;&#1099;&#1096;, &#1072; &#1090;&#1099; &#1089; &#1082;&#1072;&#1082;&#1086;&#1075;&#1086; &#1088;&#1072;&#1081;&#1086;&#1085;&#1072;?:D

i guess i know u - u are from rmmedia ))) cool - i am andreyp there..
i am not uploading mixes to there cuz i am not satisfied... i guess i am selfconstructive person - can not be satisfied always...
so hello)

>If your 1960 and your OS sound similar treble-wise, then it seems you have this newer mesa. Perhaps they put regular V30ies in there

yeah i can suppose too, that they have special shit cabs version for russia and sell it her...
all shit goes to russia ))
i agree i need OLD USA mesa...
and i am PRETTY SURE it is treble-wise similar

thx with tubes advice