Angel Dust requested on my radio show (and my Angel Dust reviews)....

Michael TEOF

Master Whorebot
Mar 4, 2002
Schaumburg, IL
www.myspace.com
Of Human Bondage is a killer album- and I got to play 2 songs from it on my last radio show! How cool is that? :) Our show: http://mikemeyer.crosswinds.net/teof.html

Set List 3/2/02
*Denotes a request

Liquid Tension Experiment- “Another Dimension”
Angel Dust- “Inhuman”

Rob Halford- “Heart of a Lion”
Skyclad- “Cancer of the Heart”
Balance of Power- “One Voice”
Vision Divine- “Away from You”

Andromeda- “The Words Unspoken”
Secret Sphere- “Legend”
Mob Rules- “Secret Signs”
Blind Guardian- “Battlefield”

Children of Bodom- “Children of Decadence”
Borknagar- “Gods of My World”
Warmen- “Trip To…”
Opeth- “Bleak”

*Angel Dust- “Unreal Soul”
*Gamma Ray- The Heart of the Unicorn”
*Judas Priest- “Jawbreaker”
*Stratovarius- “Black Diamond”

Sun Caged- “Curiosity Kills”
Sun Caged- “Four Guilders”
Sun Caged- “Sides”
Sun Caged- “The Escape”

*Jordan Rudess- “Revolving Door”
*Iron Maiden- “Virus”
*Evergrey- “The Masterplan”
*Maudlin of the Well- “The Curve”

Onward- “Eyes of the Nightmare”
Tad Morose- “Nuclear Skies”
*Iced Earth- “Travel in Stygian” (live)
*Dio- “The Man on the Silver Mountain” (cover/live)

Falconer- “Decadence of Dignity”
Dream Evil- “The Prophecy”
*Warlord- “Deliver Us from Evil”
*Blind Guardian- “Harvest of Sorrow”

King Diamond- “Moonlight”
Rhapsody- “The Dark Tower of the Abyss”
Threshold- “Voyager II”
Elvenking- “Oakenshield”

Reviews: www.prog.web.com from forum member: Michael (me!)

Angel Dust
Out of the ashes of the ‘80s thrash scene, Angel Dust make a triumphant return in the late ‘90s with their heavy hitting release Border of Reality. Their sound is a touch crunchier and rougher than most European power metal and relates somewhat to such American power metal bands like Iced Earth, Nevermore, and Magnitude 9 concerning use of more harder edged riffs than symphonic lead melodies. They are one of the more successful power metal bands I have heard in writing the hard riffs in a power metal context that is more accustomed to lead work; and for that they should be commended. This band, as with most 90s power metal, has a lot of progressive influences. Fans of both ‘80s thrash and ‘90s progressive and power metal might definitely need to check this band out!

Border of Reality (1998)
A full decade later, Angel Dust return with an album that knocked me out of my seat on the first listen! Border of Reality is full of hard-hitting riffs and melodic keyboards. The lyrics on this release aren’t particularly thoughtful and the vocals aren't at the ludicrous standards that tenor opera talents in Stratovarious, Rhapsody, and Edguy have created. But the album does have a solid mix of heavy songs with catchy riffs ("Nightmare" and "No More Faith") and epic pieces with excellent musicianship ("Where the Wind Blows" and "Behind the Mirror”)." B+ / 88

Bleed (1999)
This album is worth checking out for the for the title track alone. “Bleed” ranks as one of the greatest power metal songs ever written- and if the rest of the songs were half as good as it, this album would blow away all the other Angel Dust albums. Alas, this is not the case. Bleed is a touch more riff heavy than the other albums, but other than the excellent title track, fantastic ballad “Follow Me”, and balls heavy rocker “ Follow Me Part II” this album doesn’t offer songs quite to the caliber the other 2 albums by the band have. For some reason, however, many believe Bleed is one of the greatest power metal albums in the genre. Although I don’t agree, Bleed is a good album and I recommend at least checking out the tracks I have mentioned in this review! B / 86

Enlighten the Darkness (2000)
The heaviest Angel Dust album to date, Enlighten the Darkness introduces themes concerning humanity’s ignorance and the dangerous depths it sinks too. Obviously the lyrics are a nice improvement over Border of Reality and to a lesser extent Bleed. Upon hearing the opening song "Let Me Live", I was fairly disappointed; it’s a good thing the rest of this album more than makes up for it. Songs like "I Need You", "Cross of Hatred", and "Enjoy!" are certainly a step forward in the seriousness and dynamics of Angel Dust, but they don’t touch classics like the epics on Border of Reality: "Where the Wind Blows" and "Behind the Mirror." The awesome epic sound of Border of Reality is missed here, but I respect the changes Angel Dust made despite the few dud songs they’ve written. B+ / 87