Angel Of Retribution.

I have to chime in. I got the 'Rising In The East' DVD through Amazon on it's scheduled North American release date back in November. I'm a major Priest fan, but I have to be honest. Visually, it's very good. There are a lot of camera angles that do justice to the stage and band members. The Japanese crowd is very much a part of this performance. As usual, this performance was filmed, not taped. However, I will say that the sound is very suspect and annoying in some places. As well.....the picture does seize up and freeze in others. I have read these same concerns on other forums and websites (Judas Priest.com.....Halford's Q.....Blabbermouth, etc.

The one thing I realized a long time ago is that no recorded DVD or CD will ever do this band justice. They are like no other in their live element. They are the cream of the crop without question. And Rob's vocals cannot be duplicated in this setting.....he is a live performer first and foremost. Judas Priest is a live band.....that is what endured them to us. That will not change.

So, with that said, I just don't want anyone to get their hopes up too high and have unrealistic expectations. Yes.....it is a good product. But certainly not perfect. However, I feel it would be worth adding to anyone's collection as it honestly captures the band's place in time circa 2005.

risingintheeasthigh3wz.jpg

Thanks for the review warrior, im sure i read somewhere as well the the 5.1 mix has some problems is that true? Also i agree with what you say, the true essence of Priest live can never be captured !

Cheers!!

valanx said:
Thanks for the review warrior, im sure i read somewhere as well the the 5.1 mix has some problems is that true? Also I agree with what you say, the true essence of Priest live can never be captured !

Cheers!!

Yes it is true. Not just the 5.1 but the other settings as well.

I can't blame anyone as this was a huge undertaking for the band after a very successful campaign out on the concert trail. I'm just grateful that we have this DVD. After being in a different income bracket for approximately 12 years, it was a chance to develop some cash flow, pay some bills, and become liquid again. Let's face it.....neither side was breaking any attendance records or the bank while being apart for those "lost" years.

The rate of shooting a concert version in film is very costly.....as much as 10 times the cost of a taped version. Tape can be edited as you go, because you can check your shots immediately. But film does not allow that.....as you can only see potential problems after a reel has been completed and you are home editing it.

However, I truly believe that the band delivered to us the very best product possible, and I am grateful to them for that.

Interesting..So at least from what you say about the film shooting etc. Priest were obviously wanting to try and give us as good a release as possible, I commend them highly for that and look forward to getting my hands on the dvd (despite any problems!)

cheers, lets hope for more Priest in 2006!!!

:headbang:

Downloaded an xvid rip of the dvd and just finished encoding it, gonna watch it tonight with some cans of celebratory liquid.. Should do me until they release it here! il still buy it like!

Paxoman said:
Buy the album heavycelli, you won't be disappointed!

I agree. AOR's a gem and well worth the investment. A little bit of the old and new blended together. Rob's voice is strong and richer than ever, and the band is their usual brilliant self. The hype leading up to it's release was spot on. Great production and song selection. One of their best.....and that's saying a lot!

The Winnipeg Warrior said:
I have to chime in. I got the 'Rising In The East' DVD through Amazon on it's scheduled North American release date back in November. I'm a major Priest fan, but I have to be honest. Visually, it's very good. There are a lot of camera angles that do justice to the stage and band members. The Japanese crowd is very much a part of this performance. As usual, this performance was filmed, not taped. However, I will say that the sound is very suspect and annoying in some places. As well.....the picture does seize up and freeze in others. I have read these same concerns on other forums and websites (Judas Priest.com.....Halford's Q.....Blabbermouth, etc.

The one thing I realized a long time ago is that no recorded DVD or CD will ever do this band justice. They are like no other in their live element. They are the cream of the crop without question. And Rob's vocals cannot be duplicated in this setting.....he is a live performer first and foremost. Judas Priest is a live band.....that is what endured them to us. That will not change.

So, with that said, I just don't want anyone to get their hopes up too high and have unrealistic expectations. Yes.....it is a good product. But certainly not perfect. However, I feel it would be worth adding to anyone's collection as it honestly captures the band's place in time circa 2005.

risingintheeasthigh3wz.jpg

I disagree with your assessment of the sound. I think the sound is GREAT but the pic quailty based on todays standards is lacking. The pic is a bit grainy and while some have complained that there is too much of a red tone throughout, I didn't notice it much at all.

I think overall it's a straight forward live DVD from the Mighty Priest and a must have for any JP/Metal fan
I agree that the Japanese crowd was very much into the show:cool:

I bought the DVD only 2 days after I saw the band play in Poughkeepsie NY.I found it to be a great recreation of the show,with excellant sound and video.Has anybody read the nonsense on the Michael Schenker website.Another tour cancelled.Talk about the ultimate victim.Also, has anybody heard anything about the band RIOT,it has been awhile since I heard anything.They used to play with Saxon alot.Steve

Spaster,Rock Candy records have just re-released Narita by RIOT.Very underrated album. Unfortunately Guy Speranza died in 2003 of pancreatic cancer. Fire Down Under is also worth getting hold of. That Schenker saga is better than a soap opera! I think we've all met she-devils like his ex-wife. Before the feminists call for my nads on a platter I know Michael can't have been easy to live with either. They ought to forbid marriage. I've known people who were going out for over 10 years and then married for 10 months or less. What happens once the vows are exchanged? :loco:

bert said:
Spaster,Rock Candy records have just re-released Narita by RIOT.Very underrated album. Unfortunately Guy Speranza died in 2003 of pancreatic cancer. Fire Down Under is also worth getting hold of. That Schenker saga is better than a soap opera! I think we've all met she-devils like his ex-wife. Before the feminists call for my nads on a platter I know Michael can't have been easy to live with either. They ought to forbid marriage. I've known people who were going out for over 10 years and then married for 10 months or less. What happens once the vows are exchanged? :loco:

I haven't heard anything about this Michael Schenker stuff, what is going on?

As for people living together for years, then marrying and splitting up quickly, I have heard of that happening so many times! It's really weird!

Paxoman said:
As for people living together for years, then marrying and splitting up quickly, I have heard of that happening so many times! It's really weird!

Do I take it there won't be any proposals of marriage coming my way in the foreseeable future then, my dear?? :lol: :cry:

bert said:
They ought to forbid marriage. I've known people who were going out for over 10 years and then married for 10 months or less. What happens once the vows are exchanged? :loco:

Surely it's obvious? The cynics amongst us would say that the difference between "going out" with each other and getting wed is that once you've got that ring on your finger, the woman is entitled to half of the blokes "empire"? So then the woman can show her "true colours" and be a she-devil all she wants, and there's not a damn thing the hubby can do about it, she has got him over the proverbial barrel! :D

spaster said:
I bought the DVD only 2 days after I saw the band play in Poughkeepsie NY.I found it to be a great recreation of the show,with excellant sound and video.Has anybody read the nonsense on the Michael Schenker website.Another tour cancelled.Talk about the ultimate victim.Also, has anybody heard anything about the band RIOT,it has been awhile since I heard anything.They used to play with Saxon alot.Steve

Longtime Riot fan here:cool: They've had a tough go of it as far as singers go. I love the band but they never update their site nor do they tour around here which sucks imo.

A NY band but they'll play overseas though?

I'm partial to the Rhett Forrester era records ( Restless Breed & Born In America) but would love to see them love! hopefully some day.

The last Riot record,Through The Storm was excellant,but now it is 4 years old.It features Bobby Rondinelli on drums and Mike DiMeo on vocals,both now with the Lizards,who opened most of the UFO shows on the last USA tour.Not only is Guy Sperenza gone,but I believe Rhett Forrester was shot and killed during a carjacking in Atlanta in the early nineties.I am almost positive I saw Riot and Saxon together in the early eighties in Glens Falls NY,I still have the program autographed by Saxon but no mention of Riot.Maybe one of you oldtimers can put a year on that show for me.Strong Arm Of The Law Tour.The Schenker story is unbelievable,posted on his website for all to see.He has been married at least 2 times and has kids by at least 2 other women.His last wife sold all his shit while he was on tour,took his kid back to Cambodia,and is now back in the USA trying to get child support from him.He is in Germany hiding out and cancelled his USA tour starting next week because he thinks he will be arrested when he lands here.VH1 hyped the tour hard,with Leslie West and Doug Doppler opening and now the tour is off.I now have 2 tickets to refund.Guess what the other is.Steve

spaster said:
The Schenker story is unbelievable,posted on his website for all to see.He has been married at least 2 times and has kids by at least 2 other women.His last wife sold all his shit while he was on tour,took his kid back to Cambodia,and is now back in the USA trying to get child support from him.He is in Germany hiding out and cancelled his USA tour starting next week because he thinks he will be arrested when he lands here.VH1 hyped the tour hard,with Leslie West and Doug Doppler opening and now the tour is off.I now have 2 tickets to refund.Guess what the other is.Steve

Cheers. I'll have to look at the schenker website and have read all about it myself.

I have read the stuff on the Michael Schenker website. Very interesting indeed! I know we complain that we never know what is going on with Saxon, but Michael Schenker seems to have taken things to the other extreme by giving too much information! I suppose there are always two sides to every story, so who is the blame? Well, as great a guitarist as Michael Schenker is, he has pretty much been a complete tit throughout his career!

Hello everyone! This is my first post on this forum, can't understand why I didn't register earlier! Saxon is one of my favourite bands along with Judas Priest and Iron Maiden. :worship:

Anyway, back to topic. Angel of Retribution is IMO a very good album. It's a new album and thus, people don't appreciate it much. Songs however are good. Judas Rising is very powerful song and Revolution was such a good song that I actually changed power metal to heavy metal when I heard that song, haha. :devil:

I heard that they had sold something like 160 000 copies of AoR in USA. 160 000??? C'mon! Even bands like Nightwish (no offense, it's just that Nightwish isn't really a legendary heavy metal band) sold more in Germany only with their new album. :yuk: It's a shame that these legendary heavy metal bands don't get enough recognition. :Shedevil: But yeah, I recommend buying this album, though IMO it's not the best album of Judas Priest, though propably the easiest to start with! :wave:

Oh, this is off-topic, I know, but I couldn't find a suitable thread for this... I was just going to ask what do you think is the best Saxon DVD? Is it Live in Nottingham (which had pretty nice track list) or is it the Chronicles (which was lacking my favourite song, and the band played on)? Well, I know somebody says "they're all equal" or something like that, but I want a nice collection of Saxon classics, but even more important is the sound quality as well as the picture quality, or screen, whatever it's called :) and I'm not talking about pixels and stuff, but I don't want to watch dark screen for two hours just because the consert on the DVD happened to be recorded in night, or something like that, haha. You can send me a private message (or I don't know if it's possible in this forum...) if this seems to be too off-topic for you!

Enjoy your holidays and stuff like that