Annihilation of The Wicked Tone

Exsanguis

Aug 27, 2003
Visit site
Hey Neil, I was listening to AoTW today, and I'm loving it. What was your signal chain for the guitars, as well as the bass? I know they use Marshalls live, but did they use anything else? Great work on it, it's my favorite of theirs yet.

Thanks. For guitars we used several types of Marshall heads and cabs, miced with Shure SM 57s. Bass..hmm...I used an RE20 and a Sennheiser 421 - no DI. I forget what type of amp it was though. It wasn't very reliable though..it had all sorts of noises and crackles that took a while to troubleshoot, but when it worked it did sound very good.

Wow, no DI on bass. I've gotten so used to DI'ing it that I've often been lazy and just used that, instead of micing up the cab. Now that I hear the result of micing up bass, I'm gonna have to get back into it. Fantastic job Neil, any more info about the sessions(drum mic setup, preamps/compressors used on individual tracks and 2-bus, etc.) would be hugely appreciated.

Thanks man. I used a D112 on kick, 57 on snare, 421's on toms, and a variety of overheads (all condenser). No compression on the drums or guitars. The only thing I usually compress as I record it (and the amount varies according to the performer of course) is bass and vocals. I usually do this just to even stuff out a bit, and if it's a digital recording, to avoid any nasty irreparable overs on the vocals etc.

Neil K.

I used one of my homemade kick samples, but decided not to use a sample on the snare. I just felt it blurred too many of the nuances of what George was doing on the real snare, and he has a great touch.

Neil K.

How about bass? What gear? What mics did you use? Tell everything.

...And hi. I'm new here. :wave:

edit. I should have read the whole thread. :erk:

greatings neil, i've been observing this forum a while and saw the cannibal corpse DVD and you been a source of inspiration man, i just started recording and i kinda adopted the way you recorded cannibal. (scratchtrack,finaldrums, work up from there) and also the getting the sound good straight from the source so that little to none processing has to happen in the mixing stage way of working suites me realy wel rightknow.. thanks for all the stuff you posted too, truly helpfull.

but now: do you still have that Nile Kick sample? i would be realy interrested in checking that out and trying it on some stuff. if its to much hassle to put it only then you can also send it to jbvanderwal@gmail.com (i could then put it online for other dudes/dudettes) and if its just to much hassle.. just leave it. :headbang:

Thanks for your comments Seizure. Regarding the Nile kick sample - yes I certainly do still have it, but as I constructed it myself I won't be circulating that one for a while, at least until I decide I've had enough of it. I rotate my samples on a regular basis to keep things sounding fresh, but right now that is one that seems to win the battle when choosing the most effective samples per project. This one works particularly well for the more extreme stuff.

Neil K.

Hey,

nk can you go into a bit more detail about the guitar setup?
For instance what model marshalls were used, what cabs, mics and how many tracks etc.

amazing guitar sound, having killer riffs and being an amazing player helps but geez that is some impressive tone!!

thanks

-j

Ken: How are you mate? Good to see you here. No top secret stuff here..I'm always happy to share what was used on any project that people want to know about.

How are things with you? Great job on Pam's tracks by the way - we're all very happy indeed. Say hi to J-Man for me.

Cheers

Neil K.