circus_brimstone

Forest: Sold Out
Jul 5, 2003
Indiana
Nile – Annihilation of the Wicked
Relapse Records – RR6630-2 – May 24th, 2005
By Jason Jordan

annihilateE2.jpg

And so the Egypt-loving metallers Nile have returned with Annihilation of the Wicked, which is the follow-up to the heralded In Their Darkened Shrines. As expected, the band still retains many of the qualities that garnered them both critical and fanatic acclaim (i.e. excellent use of brutality, mind-bending musicianship, and multi-layered sonic assaults), and Annihilation of the Wicked isn’t so much a sidestep for the group as it is a stride forward.

Things begin in true Nile fashion as “Dusk Falls upon the Temple of the Serpent on the Mount of Sunrise” aided my mental conjuration of gigantic pyramids, deserts, and basically all things Egyptian…until “Cast Down the Heretic” blasts through the door with its five and a half minutes of organized chaos. With me, this ever-changing group has been utilized mainly for quick listening sessions, and is fantastic during brief exposure. Nevertheless, songs like the three-minute “Sacrifice unto Sebek” and the four-minute “The Burning Pits of the Duat” are perfect for the aforementioned scenario, while longer opuses such as “User-Maat-Re” and “Annihilation of the Wicked” aren’t tolerable for those with an attention deficit disorder. “Lashed to the Slave Stick” was the only composition I was familiar with before delving into Annihilation of the Wicked, and I must say that it fits in seamlessly with the remainder of the record’s material. Moreover, “Lashed to the Slave Stick” is jumpier than its friends while containing some of the best riffs that the CD has to expel. And, what’s more, “Spawn of Uamenti” – a one-minute interlude – heightens the mood twofold.

As if I had to tell you, Nile are immensely talented and never cease to prove it with each new release. However, in my eyes, they do have a propensity for getting monotonous after a short period of time. If you’re a dedicated fan, though, hunt down this edition of Annihilation of the Wicked. If you’re not, the digipak version will suit you just fine.

8/10

Official Nile Website
Official Relapse Records Website

Great album, some of their best songs ever are to be found on this, although it seems to have less of an emphasis on the 'Egyptian' side of things musically. 'Lashed...' and 'Annihilation...' sound decidedly more standard in death metal terms, but are brilliant nontheless.