Annihilation of the Wicked

Nile probably get my vote for the fastest band on the planet. Though many mention Dark Funeral and Marduk. But anyway it is simply jaw dropping hearing those riffs and the drums play at this insane tempo. The production on this one is superb. A fearsome bunch of musicians truly dedicated to producing extreme music. Brilliant, absolutely brilliant but man at times so heavy and brutal its almost unlistenable for more than a song or two.

Had no idea there were so many fans on here. But damn, they're an amazing band and deserve all the recognition they receive.

I'm getting my paycheck on Thursday, so, since I'm pretty new to the guys could you maybe give me a suggestion on what I should go for next?

P.S. To whom ever it was that asked if they should still bother with AotW, I'de say it depends on what your into, if you really like incredibly fast death metal, then yeah, go for it. It's not your average Cannibal Corpse death music though, I think the most appropriate term which I've seen thrown about here is "epic." The lyrics, the whole egyptian theme, the music is absolutley amazing. Perhaps Nile isnt for you, but if you get the chance perhaps DL a couple songs and see how you like them.

Forest-of-October said:
Had no idea there were so many fans on here. But damn, they're an amazing band and deserve all the recognition they receive.

I'm getting my paycheck on Thursday, so, since I'm pretty new to the guys could you maybe give me a suggestion on what I should go for next?

If you mean which Nile album shoudl you get next I'd go with In Their Darkened Shrines as it has even more of the Opethian epic qualities. Unas Slayer of the Gods is one of the best Death songs ever, and the final four parts which are all the title track are great too. It is an album, like Opeth's, that listening to on random/shuffle won't give you the full picture. The drumming is insane also, with great deft cymbal work and some great double bass drumming. Black Seeds... is another awesome album but I've never got into it as much. The earlier stuff is still better then most bands out, but I think is perhaps left till later, but hey these are just my opinions, lol.

madu said:
I've only heard In Their Darkened Shrines, and while I digged the title tracks, the rest failed to impress me. ...I don't really care for brutal death though, so naturally Nile isn't my thing exactly.

Quo Vadis on the other hand, boy, what a band :D

I didn't understand your point.
Let me see, you don't like brutal death but you named Quo Vadis which in my opinion is a fucking great band and -in my perception- if you named it, it's 'cause you like them, am I right? ...so, did I miss something here?

narcisco said:
Nile probably get my vote for the fastest band on the planet. Though many mention Dark Funeral and Marduk. But anyway it is simply jaw dropping hearing those riffs and the drums play at this insane tempo. The production on this one is superb. A fearsome bunch of musicians truly dedicated to producing extreme music. Brilliant, absolutely brilliant but man at times so heavy and brutal its almost unlistenable for more than a song or two.
Well, you've never heard Origin. Echoes of Decimation, Amoeba 2:00-2:20.

^^^ Origin is a good band too...especially Echoes of decimation...some good stuff there.

Forest-of-October said:

I don't have Black Seeds of Vengeance. I only have the other three but I would say after Annhilation of the wicked you should get In their Darkened Shrines. Amongst the Catacombs of Nephren-Ka is still an amazing cd but not my favorite from them.

On another note. After I made my post about the band earlier in this thread I looked down and noticed I was wearing my Nile-Annhilation of the wicked t-shirt as I was writing about the cd...kind of eerie...although considering I love this band...maybe not so much.

I saw them the day after opeth in london fucking hell that was good. they fucking destroy. It would be interesting to see if they ever actually depart from the egyptian theme and try something different.

I got Nile's new album for my birthday, fairly rondomly, it was on my wishlist but I wasn't too bothered about getting it. I've been listening to it for about a month now and it's one of my most frequently-listened albums at the moment. I love it, but it's probably one of the most extreme things I own, it's taken me about a month to really get familiar with the album and know the songs at all. I want to get their other albums now but I think it's best to take it one album at a time, I can't decide whether to work backwards (which is what I often do with bands I've just discovered) or go back to their first album, which everyone always says is a death-metal must-have. I have a bid for In Their Darkened Shrines on ebay at the moment so if I get it cheap then i guess that'll decide...

Origin is certainly the faster and more brutal band. I think they do a good job of avoiding monotony. I mean, the new album is only like 28 minutes. There are a lot of good guitar riffs that take a few listens to decipher. The album moves so fast that it takes a few spins to notice the more subtle aspects.

I interviewed Dallas Toler-Wade a few months ago and wrote a story that was to be printed in the new 'Riot' magazine - for whatever reasons the magazine has been delayed so I'm not sure if it will be printed.

Have I wasted my time? Should I post the story on here somewhere so that at least someone reads it?

Spawnof84 said:
post it here i would like to see it

Here you go:

IF the moniker of ‘death metal’s saviours’ – as some have dubbed them – sits uncomfortably with the band, Nile can at least proclaim themselves the genre’s most unique ensemble.
Since first coming together back in 1993, they’ve built a reputation as much on their love of Egyptian mythology as their epic death stylings and outrageously intricate arrangements.
Founder, vocalist and primary songwriter Karl Sanders is even reputed to be fluent in hieroglyphics, while his lyrical meanderings back in time don’t just sound impressive – they also happen to be factually correct.
“The thing that amazes me most about a person like Karl,” begins guitarist Dallas Toler-Wade, “is his absolute devotion and dedication to what he wants to do.”
Previous albums Amongst the Catacombs of Nephren-Ka, Black Seeds of Vengeance and In Their Darkened Shrines immediately captured the essence of ancient Egypt with their Middle Eastern overtures and ominous symphonic ambience.
“He’s always been interested in Egyptian mythology,” Toler-Wade continues.
“He was writing songs about Egypt well before Nile.
“I have some of that in common too – back in high school I was really into Greek mythology so it’s just the idea that we were into ancient cultures and ancient history and history in general.
“I mean, I’ve actually borrowed his hieroglyphics dictionary before.
“My Mom had a copy of The Book of the Dead although Karl’s is in much better condition I must say (laughs).
“But he’s done his research because he cares.
“He cares about this stuff, it interests him and he also cares about the music.”
Nothing has changed on Nile’s latest offering – the aptly named Annihilation of the Wicked.
Topics of interest include Sebek – Egypt’s crocodile god – on the track Sacrifice Unto Sebek, Egyptian torture methods and a biography of legendary pharaoh Ramses the Great.
And the song titles haven’t shortened either.
The band that once brought you such tongue-twisters as Nas Akhu Khan She En Asbiu and Libation Unto the Shades Who Lurk in the Shadows of the Temple of Anhur has outdone itself on the new album with the 18-word monster Chapter Of Obeisance Before Giving Breath To The Inert One In The Presence Of The Crescent Shaped Horns.
“There’s certainly some of the big long Karl masterpieces on there which I’m a huge fan of,” says Toler-Wade of Nile’s stunningly technical lyrical content.
“But we’re a band that writes from the lyrics.
“Whatever they demand is what we’ve got to do and I like the way he writes lyrics so with me and Karl – I’ve been in Nile for seven years now – it’s about teamwork.
“We want guitars to fucking dominate.”
Note: Mission accomplished.
“It’s definitely a very guitar and drums kind of meat and potatoes album and that’s just how it happened naturally,” Toler-Wade explains.
“The only difference in the process this time was we actually worked it out with George (new drummer George Kollias) in rehearsal – the three of us for two-and-a-half months.
“It was really able to capture more of a dark vibe and I think it’s more personal.”
That vibe, of course, has become the Nile trademark and despite the presence of legendary producer Neil Kernon (Judas Priest, Nevermore), who has achieved a far sharper sound than on any of their previous releases, Annihilation of the Wicked hasn’t lost any of its eerie lustre.
“Again that’s kind of from the lyrics,” offers Toler-Wade.
“Knowing a little bit of music theory helps too but in the end it’s really the vibe that we’re capturing from the images portrayed in the lyrics.
“And especially with the liner notes, that really spells it out even more.
“You can really paint a picture when you listen to it or you’re playing it or you’re trying to think about it.
“You know, what does this make me feel like? What would make a person feel like this?
“And then in the back of your mind you have to think about bridging this and whatever but there are certain Egyptian elements to it and it just happens to be right beside the whole metal thing with the fifth harmonies and the modes of the guitars – very guitar stuff and very metal stuff.”
Much of the success of their latest venture, says Toler-Wade, can be credited to the influence of Kernon – who he describes as ‘excruciatingly meticulous’ – and Kollias, the Greek drum demon that may finally halt Nile’s revolving door.
“They both had a major impact on the whole Nile sound,” the guitarist observes.
“Neil did a fantastic job.
“Even in the really intense situations where the guitars are doing crazy scale rhythms or whatever and the drums are blasting away, it’s really hard to get that clear and he was able to achieve that for us.
“He really pushed us.
“On ‘…Shrines’ we would have said ‘Oh yeah that sounds fine, onto the next one’ but with Neil it was like ‘Um, not quite – do it again. Again. Agaaaiiiin’ (laughs).
“He was somebody you could just get right deep down in the microscope with and look at something really closely and it just helps so much with the performances.”
Kollias, the band’s third drummer following on from founding member Pete Hammoura and one-album fill-in Tony Laureano (In Their Darkened Shrines), also slotted straight in to the Nile mould of speed, speed and more speed.
“That helps a lot,” laughs Toler-Wade.
“And live he’s pushing the envelope even more.
“I’m there thinking ‘Man this kid is going to break my arm’.
“He is out to break our arms man, which is awesome.”
More importantly, according to Toler-Wade, Kollias seems to appreciate the means by which Nile go about their work after some failed experiments in the past.
“I think it’s just chemistry,” the guitarist offers.
“I think everybody and every musician is looking for the right chemistry with people in order to play their music and I just don’t think we’ve had much luck finding it.
“Some people’s interests are different or they want to play a different way, stuff like that, so I think the search for everyone is about finding the right thing that fits.
“I guess Karl and I were really lucky in that respect. We just fit.
“But I’m really starting to get that vibe with George too after touring with him and putting this record together with him.”
The results of that will be witnessed by Australian audiences later this year, with a tour down under finally planned for December.
After a 12-year lull, it means the chance to witness such classic Nile epics as Black Seeds of Vengeance and Wind of Horus for the first time without having to trek across Europe or the United States to do so.
“And the reaction has been really positive,” Toler-Wade proclaims of the band’s early shows on the new tour.
“We’re always kind of surprised when we put a new record out – we’re surprised that we’ve got the opportunity to be touring musicians.
“I’m just absolutely honoured to be able to do this and that people are into it.
“I never expected it so this is all like ‘What?! I’m doing interviews?’
“You know? Even seven years later it’s amazing.
“I’m just so grateful to heavy metal and all the people that are into it.
“It’s an honour to devote my entire life and possibly death to metal.”

^Same here. Nice interview.

(Something nothing to do with this thread, so my apologies to Ermin.)
If everyone here likes Bloodbath. Blakkheim has been interviewed and he posted that on his forum. So run there, read it and enjoy it. It has very good surprises in it.

this album does indeed rule. ive been pretty much cycling it along with cryptopsy's new one. im lovin it. ill take any death metal recommendations. PM me.

ps: hi Luz.

dorian gray said:
this album does indeed rule. ive been pretty much cycling it along with cryptopsy's new one. im lovin it. ill take any death metal recommendations. PM me.

ps: hi Luz.
I enjoy Nile alot. I've liked them since Amoungst the Catacombs of Nephran Ka. Nile get critisized for the Egyption theme being sort of gimmicky and some filler on thier releases but they are an exellent death metal band, brutal and epic.. Nile have a monoploy on great drummers and are unique in thier own way. Great guys too. The new Nile CD Annihilation of the Wicked is exellent.
Some other good death metal: Cryptopsy None So Vile, Necrophagist-Onset of Putrefaction, Spawn of Possession-Cabinet Suffocation-Effigy, Arsis-A Diamond for Disease EP (melodic but technical), Vader-anything by these Polish gods, Immolation-Failures for Gods, Lykathea Aflame-(although they broke up) Doomy/death/grind, The Chasm ect.