annihilation of the wicked, underrated?

zim18

Feb 11, 2006
Whenever nile is brought up on these boards their early albums are always suggested. I remember asking about annihilation of the wicked before i bought it and was told it wasnt worth it. After lack of nile selection at the local cd store i bought it anyways, and since then it has remained imo the best work nile has ever done. This album is fucking brutal brutal brutal, fast paced pounding double bass drums and blistering guitar solos with the egyptian theme in mind (not so much as their old work though). I just wanted to know why this album is disliked given a few reasons with judgement.

Whenever nile is brought up on these boards their early albums are always suggested. I remember asking about annihilation of the wicked before i bought it and was told it wasnt worth it. After lack of nile selection at the local cd store i bought it anyways, and since then it has remained imo the best work nile has ever done. This album is fucking brutal brutal brutal, fast paced pounding double bass drums and blistering guitar solos with the egyptian theme in mind (not so much as their old work though). I just wanted to know why this album is disliked given a few reasons with judgement.

as I stated in another thread, the drums are way way way way too low in the mix. Often times you can barely hear the blastbeats, and george's phenomenal drum work is wasted by poor sound engineering

i dont have a problem hearing the drumming, but besides that none of their previous work has been this heavy nor fast aka brutal

This was overrated immensely when it came out. It's only fair that now it's underrated. It's a decent disk and so not deserving of too much or too little praise.

It's really hard to argue that this album is something special. One the one hand you have the "brutal brutal brutal" parts ("Lashed To The Slave Stick") which are effective but not especially different from what other brutal death metal bands are doing these days. In some areas it gets a tad generic and lacks the unique Nile sound. But then on the flip side you have signature Nile tracks that measure up just fine with much of the band's previous work. The problem with that is with this being the fourth time around with the same formula it's hard to get excited about another batch of songs that are interchangeable with the previous full-lengths. I think it's a decent album but I feel many fans are expecting some significant evolution from the band, instead they got a streamlined album that drifts closer to generic brutal death than anything else. I'm still a few albums away from giving up on them, but if their current trend continues it won't be long before they max out their popularity and their credibility starts to slip. :(

This album was very well received when it came out. I'm glad the drums were lower. The drums on all the other albums are annoying. I'm saying this as a drummer: I want to hear less drums in all genres of metal. Metal is about guitars, and I liked the guitar sound a lot on AOTW. Perhaps I liked this album more because I had only heard BSOV previously, so the style seemed a bit more fresh to me.

I think it is underrated, a very good CD that ends in the right way with Annihilation of The Wicked then Von(I can't remember the rest :lol:) Kulten, the way Cast Down The Heretic comes on after the Middle Eastern instrument intro will kill you! :lol It really is one of my favorite CD's I have and I will pull it out form time to time for listens.

I bought it a little after it came out as many people were saying how great it was. I listened to it many times and really felt there was nothing special or that much better compared to their previous albums. Some parts were good but overall it was nothing special to me and I felt it was overrated back then.

It's a fucking great album. The only reason people claim to hate it is because Nile, like Vital Remains found a bit of success and were championed by the metal press. So they became uncool to the people that like to think they're "cutting edge" and "in the know about underground metal". Fucking arses the lot of them.

I can understand people not liking succesful bands if, like Machine Head or Metallica, they ride their success by turning into shite, dropping solos and crap like that. But Nile are as brutal as ever on AOTW and it's a great album.

Strangely enough, I thought the drums were too fucking loud on the release preceding "Annihilation." I really liked the production.

It's a fucking great album. The only reason people claim to hate it is because Nile, like Vital Remains found a bit of success and were championed by the metal press. So they became uncool to the people that like to think they're "cutting edge" and "in the know about underground metal". Fucking arses the lot of them.

I can understand people not liking succesful bands if, like Machine Head or Metallica, they ride their success by turning into shite, dropping solos and crap like that. But Nile are as brutal as ever on AOTW and it's a great album.

id have to agree with you now after reading everyone elses opinions...

Strangely enough, I thought the drums were too fucking loud on the release preceding "Annihilation." I really liked the production.

they were slightly too loud on darkened shrines, but way too low on AOTW. The main problem I have is that you can barely hear anything that kollias is doing on annihilation. What's the point of having such an amazing drummer when the blastbeats are barely audible?

as I stated in another thread, the drums are way way way way too low in the mix. Often times you can barely hear the blastbeats, and george's phenomenal drum work is wasted by poor sound engineering
I don't think so. However, the opposite is the case on a couple of the other albums, where the blasting is so loud that it makes it hard to hear what the guitars are playing.