First Listen: NIle

If you like Nile, you might as well listen to Necronomicon's first album, Pharaoh of Gods.

The band's lyrical content evolves with every release, egyptian like nile (why the heck wasnt this recommended?), then native american, then the occult for their latest album.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, but if you need to look at or read the lyrics before listening to something, chances are the lyrics won't matter anyways. I personally think that Death Metal is about the music, good lyrics may help you, but if they are not sung in a way that they are understood in the first place, doesn't make much difference.

Good lyrics are a great bonus to the music, but as I say if I can't understand them in the first place the music would have the same impact even if they were about baking a cake and playing with dolls.

Music comes first, lyrics second. I can look past bad lyrics if the music is well performed and put together.

Good lyrics are a great bonus to the music, but as I say if I can't understand them in the first place the music would have the same impact even if they were about baking a cake and playing with dolls.

good point. If Death metal bands wrote about beautiful women,sunsets, and rainbows than it would not be fitting for the style. It's kinda how bands dress certain ways when doing photoshoots. I'm usually not in a good mood or anything when listen too metal music and usually lyrics are pretty fitting for how I feel or think during that time.

I like lyrics, but I do not listen to Death Metal for them.. or for that matter take them seriously enough to make it matter anyways... as said, you can have bad lyrics but great music and that will be good... but the opposite is not true... you can have great lyrics, but if the music is not interesting to back them up, it is forgettable.

The delivery of the lyrics I feel are what counts. I can't understand what a lot of Death metal bands are saying, but the way they sing them draws me to it. George Fisher for example, his delivery of the lyrics on some Cannibal Corpse songs... are amazing, just damned if I know what those lyrics are.

somebody once said to me on another forum "Vocals in Death Metal exist not as an instrument of melody, but of rhythm" I think that is pretty true.. and what I meant with above..