First Listen: NIle

Overtures

Aug 15, 2011
I'm new to metal.

Today I down loaded Annihilation of the Wicked by Nile. I got to say, it's an oen solid album. I love how relentlessly fast paced it is. I thought it had a very unique dm sound. The guitar work also reminded me of old Slayer. And the thematic effects were great. I loved the chanting.

This is actually one of the first Death Metal albums that spoke to me. Granted I've only heard from beginning to end Gorod's newest and this one. Anyways, I'm stoked to listen to this album time and time again.

Four our of Five stars.

This is actually one of the first Death Metal albums that spoke to me. Granted I've only heard from beginning to end Gorod's newest and this one. Anyways, I'm stoked to listen to this album time and time again.

Somebody get this guy some Immolation, old Cryptopsy and Scream Bloody Gore IMMEDIATELY.

I'll check those bands out, but im enjoying Nile right now. I'll go with Immolation first, because immolation is interesting.......

monks and shit.

You must get into Carcass. Also Arkhon Infaustus....and Infernal War.

I'm new to metal.

Today I down loaded Annihilation of the Wicked by Nile. I got to say, it's an oen solid album. I love how relentlessly fast paced it is. I thought it had a very unique dm sound. The guitar work also reminded me of old Slayer. And the thematic effects were great. I loved the chanting.

Four our of Five stars.

That's a good place to start. AOTW is Nile's best album, IMO.

It's pretty much amazing start to finish. Like I said, I'm new to DM, but I want to say this is very Slayer inspired DM. At least in regards to Slayer's earlier album...you know that one that everyone likes...fuck me for not remembering the name.

I'm new to metal.

Four our of Five stars.

Its a really good album for sure. I am also a huge fan of their latest release "those whom the gods detest". But to be fair to the band all of their studio releases are pretty good.

Alot of Nile fans also seems to like later Behemoth. To me only their latest release really spoke to me however (Evangelion). The rest not so much.

Otherwise Immolation aint a bad suggestion as people have already said - they are pretty unique and may take some time to get into.

Other bands I really enjoy as far as death metal goes are Morbid Angel, Vomitory, Ulcerate, Bolt Thrower and Akercocke. Neither sounding much like Nile though but all worth checking out.

If you dig Nile, you should listen to a Canadian band called Necronomicon.

37828.jpg

This album in paticular to start. Necronomicon is another Technical Death Metal group who share the same type of mysticism as Nile, Nile is more on the Egyptian side, while Necronomicon explore elements of Native American music, but both have a bit in common that connect them. One band you should at least try and check out, get this album and see what you think.

a couple samples:

Last edited by a moderator:
Good band. Mysticism is where its at. Though this band is musically much different than Nile. Mainly, they are much slower. Nile's speed is what caught me from the start. I just kind of listened to them and envisioned myself piloting some kind of giant machine that allowed me to wreck havoc on things. Like a city.

Well, this band was groovy, but no machine guns. The cover are is pretty rad too.

Good band. Mysticism is where its at. Though this band is musically much different than Nile. Mainly, they are much slower. Nile's speed is what caught me from the start. I just kind of listened to them and envisioned myself piloting some kind of giant machine that allowed me to wreck havoc on things. Like a city.

Well, this band was groovy, but no machine guns. The cover are is pretty rad too.

Yes, they are slower, but not all Death Metal should be associated with just heavy and fast..

see:

Slow and steady wins the race... Cianide sound more heavy and crushing than many who just rely on speed and technicality.

This album is amazing, and blows away a ton of speed demon Death Metal bands.

see also:

Bolt Thrower

Last edited by a moderator:
Meh. boring death metal with lyrics about native american shit.
Cool idea executed poorly.

:lol: @ Omnomnomicon