Annihilation Of The Wicked

Stormwatch

Cock.
May 2, 2003
Fortress of Arrogance
How come no one's mentioned this (or did I miss it?)
I've not listened to it enough to rate it, but my initial view is that it's their best effort so far.

Sorry GoD, can you delete one of these threads - the first time I tried posting the board came up with an error so I reposted it only to find both had worked.
:yell:

It is indeed a good CD, and probably Nile's best work to date. It isn't just incessant blasting this time around, and the blasts don't drown out the riffs either, like they often did in the past.

Agree completely - that "incessant blasting" was the one thing I didn't like about Nile previously. This new album still blasts, but not as much, so you can hear the riffs - and cracking riffs they are too. I think, from early impressions, this is their best work, and probably death metal's best work in the past 10 years or so at least. IMO.

I've only heard a handful of tracks, but this is definitely an improvement from the above mentioned incessant blasting of the past.

I heard a song from the relapse page and did not like it, oh well.

The ORIGINAL South Of Heaven said:
Overall I think it's allright, but it's my least favorite Nile album. Oddly enough, I didn't too particularly care for Lashed to the Slave Stick when I first heard the sample, and now it's one of my favorite songs, in general.

Agreed, even regarding Lashed To The Slave Stick :tickled:

I listened to "Amongs The Catacombs Of Nephren-Ka", "Black Seeds Of Vengeance" and "In Their Darkened Shrines" today, and I feel that "Annihilation Of The Wicked" pales in comparison to "Catacombs" and "Shrines", and isn't really on par with "Seeds" either. Some of the interesting twists and takes are gone, I feel, and there is definitely something lacking in the song writing department. The songs don't feel so memorable.