Another Noob Thread .. Guitar Tone ....

guitarguru777

Nov 13, 2003
Las Vegas
www.jasonconstantine.com
OK i just got a new set of headphones and the clarity on them is amazing, I cant belive the diference ... anyway ...

I happened to be listening to the new Nevermore today, i always loved the guitar tone, but after hearing it with these new phone OMFG !!!! I need that sound....

Now im not asking for settings or anything, but i would like to know how Andy gets it so crunchy without all that fizz. Its so damned cruncy in the mids its SCARY !!!!! No matter what i try i cant get it. I been sitting here for hours on end trying to get that crunch in the mids and i cant. I even spent 2 hours at Guitar Center today on a Diezel, Recto and a Marshall with differnet pedals and guitars trying to get it, and for some reason i cant get the amp to crunch without all the fizz.

Any help would be HUGELY appreciated !!!!

Da Fukn Guru

Fukn Guru, don't forget two important factors: 1, you're not jeff loomis, and 2, there are two guitars on each side there so you're not going to get that exact tone w/ one amp. all that being said, i agree with pretty much everything you just wrote.

Ok i guess to should rephrase ....lol

Im not looking for jeffs tone specifically, just really how to get that high mid crunch ... for some odd reason i cant fgure out how to make the amp crunch like that in the frequency it crunces on that CD. Its like in the PERFECT Spot .... Thats whta i love about andy... ive never heard a BAD guitar tone from him

Da Fukn Guru

the phish said:
i believe it mostly to be in Jeff's pick attack. Though im sure the awsome power of an an Andy Sneap EQ session helps a bit...
look at this pic, Jeff uses a really thick pick

nevermore_anvers06.jpg

nah, i've got one right in front of me, it's not that thick. i guess it's around 1.14 - 1.44mm
pretty pointy, though. has a lot of attack

Yea i use 1.14mm Picks with 707s and a 60 on the B, not cause JEFF does but because i like the feel of the 60. Its nice and tight good for quick rythms. I found the answer today while at guitar center. I said screw it im gonna sit here till i fond that sound....

I grabbed a TS-9 Reissue, My 7 String, and pluggend into Triple Recto with the new Marshall 100th cabs with the greenbacks .... OMG ... TALK ABOUT BALLS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I got that nice Mid crunchwith these settings.

Bass - 7
Mid - 5
High - 6
Gain - 6.5

I set the TS-9

Level - 6
Tone - 6
Gain - 2

I really think the TS9 and the Marshall cab made all the differnce. Mabe its the greenbacks, i dunno but i priced it all out and im looking about about $3200 for everything... Time to start saving some DOUGH !!!!!

Da Fukn Guru

Ebay it ALL! You can get a Triple Recto (or even better, a Dualie) for 1300 or so. I've seen old 2 channel Dualie's go for 1200 before. The cabinet will only run you like 500 or so on eBay, or go for an Avatar cabinet.

I've alwais thought that only andy's amazing eq and comp settings, the 4 guitar tracks on both rectos and kranks and the ultra precise and tight playing of Loomis combined produced that very sound. Just my opinion anyways... :headbang: