another shorter sound clip (some fun with freefilter!)

Jun 2, 2005
allright, you will all probably reconize this 14 second clip here, if not, it's bloodbath's "brave new hell" just the intro, very short, but how do you guys feel about this sound??? i need to know, and i used the plugin freefilter on this for the overall mix, used the bloodbath EQ settings, and blended it in with mine.. fun stuff! not the same sound offcourse, or i would be a filthy rich man by now :D

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/8/toxicgrindmachine_music.htm

it's "sound test (bloodbath)"

But please tell me how you feel about the sound, don't hold back on this one, please, i have Near 05 monitors, and i need to know what im doing wrong/good... these monitors are crap i guess, since translation is a bitch to do with these, and i will probably have to buy new ones sometimes.. dammit :loco:

Well it's a tool that analyzes the waveform structure of a signal and averages out all the nuances. It can then be used to apply that to one of your own signals.

It can be used for emulating guitar tones... adding a certain quality to singers' voices... making your mix sound more similar to another one etc.

Obviously the process is not flawless and it takes some discretion in its use, but all in all it's an amazing little tool.

Well, you can it use it for anything you want actually... i mean, i have used it on a overall mix, but i guess it comes in handy for guitars as well...

on this little clip i just took a bloodbath song, imported it into neundo, and put freefilter on the master... now, in freefilter, i pushed the "source" button, and when i play that bloodbath song, it actually learns the EQ settings of that particular song..

Now i save those settings, and go to one of my own songs, in this case, a short sample of "brave new hell" that i quicky covered from the band bloodbath as well.. again, i put freefilter on the master, and i load the source, in this case, the EQ settings of bloodbath, that song it has learned earlier, and then i press "destination" in FF... now it will learn my mix...

Then all there is left, is pressing the match button.. this will match the source and destination, up to 0 - 200%...(50-75 is recommended) you can adjust it anyway you want, it's quite amazing, and it's well worth it...

Now this clip sucks though, i have compared them both, and it lacks a lot of dynamics.. mainly the snare sucks, so i will change that tomorrow, maybe add some spice to the guitars and overall mix, and i will post a new clip tomorrow... fun stuff this is... :D

Sounds awesome, may I as wich ones of the diobolical patches? And how many layers etc? :hotjump:

brandy, wish i could.. don't have powercore though...

wicked s, how are you?

I used the "diobolic's tone" patch for this short clip, and i panned one track 100% left, and another ( 1/3th the volume of 100% left) 70% left... i did the same on the right side, but i put more mid on that side.. so i recorded 2 tracks left and 2 tracks right seperatly...

I am not happy with the sound though, maybe i am trying too hard to get it to sound like the bands who recorded their stuff in studio VS my comp with plugins.. but i really do believe it can sound better, i can't get the instruments to have their own space.. does anyone have tips on this??

Black neon bob said:
I am not happy with the sound though, maybe i am trying too hard to get it to sound like the bands who recorded their stuff in studio VS my comp with plugins.. but i really do believe it can sound better, i can't get the instruments to have their own space.. does anyone have tips on this??

mh, the Freefilter has no Human Ears and is not much intelligent..
:ill:

I think it is not enough to fiddle around ounly with the Freefilter searching for the sound others used.

They used those sounds in another enviroment, they have other drums, other instruments etc.

Maybe it would be more usefull when you search for a compromise? I mean - use your Ears and your Brain to create a well ballanced Mix using Pan, EQ and stuff like that first... Maybe you can add a little of that Freefilter-Morphing during this process!

Bad example of a brainless Freefilter tasc:

Scan a normal song, apply this to another - different sounding - song. You will have a big "WOW - that works great!" feeling in the first second. When you listen carefully you will notice that now the snare sounds total crazy or the vox or something like that because Freefilter only scans a frequency curve wich may content unique vox information and applies it on the snare.

Haha - scan a Mortitian Track and morph it on a sweet Diana Krall Jazzballad!!! :hotjump:

What about dynamics? Freefilter (as well as the Assimilator) just apply frequency Curves, they do not chance dynamix or techique of the player...

brandy

yeah, i hear ya Brandy... it's fun to toy with, but i will probably never use it on a final mix anyway.. it crashes my PC a lot of times anyway, but the idea is pretty good...

Yeah, i am having trouble with the whole mix though, FF or no FF.. it still sounds too much like a blur, like someone mentioned in another topic with a clip i did... it's all there, i put the drums all over the place, hihats on the left, kicks in the middle as well as the snare, cymbals vary all over the place.. bass in the middle as well, 2 guitars left (100% and 1 around 70%) and right (100% and 1 around 70% as well).. i EQ the left guitars differently from the right one to broaden the sound, i use a stereo imager on the master as well to widen the sounds.. but it just wont seem to seperate from eachother.. it keeps getting a bit messy, you know?

Well, if anyone has tips on that, that would be great, like should i use a stereo imager on the guitars left and right instead of using it on the whole mix? would that create space?

Thanks!

bob,

you don't need a stereo imager for creating space. Stereo-imagers are (normaly) messing up the whole thing only.

You create space with the EQ as well as with (pre)delay and reverbiation. I mean not that kind of *whooo-hoooo-hoooschhhh* reverb, i talk about early reflections (predelays) and shorter reverbs - ambience verbs, rooms etc - 0,3 - 0,5 sec or so.

First you have to look at the Frequencys:

You can bring up the snare (for example) by increasing 160-220hz - but you can also DE-crease 200hz @ the guitars which makes up some room for the snare.

You have to make the instruments work together - not to fight each other.

example:

watch "pantera - cowboys from hell" on an analyzer. There is an ugly notch @ around 800Hz. Wait until the vox come in - now they take place in exact that space - 800hz.

Vox are having muuuuuuuuuuch of space on that record.

hope this helps a litte bit...

brandy

You create space with the EQ as well as with (pre)delay and reverbiation. I mean not that kind of *whooo-hoooo-hoooschhhh* reverb, i talk about early reflections (predelays) and shorter reverbs - ambience verbs, rooms etc - 0,3 - 0,5 sec or so.

Could you or anyone else explain this one a bit more? are they supposed to go on guitars, drums, bass, synth? or on everything?

Thanks...

I use Voxengo's CurveEQ for a similar purpose. A fun toy, but nothing that I'd rely on for my tones or for my overall balance. It's kind of amusing that you used FreeFilter on a Bloodbath record, considering Dan Swano used it on Resurrection Through Carnage. Good stuff.

Black neon bob said:
Could you or anyone else explain this one a bit more? are they supposed to go on guitars, drums, bass, synth? or on everything?

Thanks...

Soory for answering lately...

yes - the roules of accoustics are applying to every kind of instrument or sound.

It is a little bit difficult with deathmetal and stuff because everyone wants that "in your face" sound - you can't put too much ambience on the rhythm-guitars or the bass here.

I can't give very detailed advice here because in the moment i am in a hurry and it is a VERY big thing...

some gereral ideas:

solo a vocal track.

put some cheap digital reverb on it -say 2 second decay.
it will sound as close as when listened to it dry but now it comes with that ugly "schhhhhhh" tail.

now put an "ambience" verb on it - ambience or room or chamber, use not more than 0,4 sec decay.

put a heathy amount on the track - now you will be able to move the vox backwards and forwards. just by tweaking the predelay, decay lenth and mixfactor.

now insert an eq, activate a highpass filter. move the frequency from 20hz upwards.

what do you realize?

the less bass the vox have the bigger "gets" the distance.

Fazit:

You can not just move a signal left and right by using pan - no - you can move a signal forwards and backwards by using predelays, reverbiation and eq.

p.s. to make a sound come out of a mix you can rise the highs and the bass ( also have a look at - > "proximity" effect)

sorry for my bad english, i hope that helps even though!

you might search the web or amazon for tutorials as well...

brandy

hey thanks a bunch Brandy!!!

Really great of you to take some time and explain stuff like this, much appreciated!! :headbang:

Your english is fine b.t.w.

Thanks!